Verbal Strategies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dallasmavs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im curious as to how everyone approaches taking the verbal section.

I took the princeton course and they always encouraged identifying questions, ranking the passages..etc

I hated that stuff. I was wondering what techniques have been successful for everyone else and how they approach the VR section

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have to try different techniques and see what works for you. I think the most important thing you should be doing while reading an MCAT passage is consistently asking yourself if you understand the main premise behind what the author is saying. Then, as you read the paragraphs begin to assemble in your brain the various points that the author makes to support this premise.

Some people like to "map" as they go. Or write down whats happening in each paragraph. I didn't like that because I wasted too much time thinking about what to write. Some people like to pre-read questions but, again, time is one of your main opponents in this section so that can make finishing on time a challenge.

Honestly, I recommend trying a few different methods and see what you like the best. Then, just practice, practice, practice. Do a few passages every single day. It will become easier over time and will pay off in the end.