Verbal study method you all may want to try

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMojorisin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For a long time I did verbal passages sitting upright in a chair with maximum focus. Recently, I decided to try a few after 3 or 4 shots of tequila. The results were impressive, my scores skyrocketed (until about the 6th shot of tequila where they began to fall off dramatically). Now I'm not suggesting that alcohol improves ones judgment at all. But, I think that moderate amounts impaired my ability to read so much that I was forced to only pay attention to main ideas and I lost track of the details. By only following the main ideas of the paragraphs, I didn't get bogged down with so much needless information, and I was able to see how the passage fit together and I get a better "feel" for what the author's point of view. I no longer fell for all the attractors that typically sucker me in with details from the passage that are best forgotten about. And I also think confidence played a big role. I was far more confident in my sub-sober answers in most cases, and so I was able to forget about old questions and move on more quickly (the confidence was well justified in nearly every case, as well). Well, I'm sure this won't be a popular suggestion, and you all would be correct in saying I don't have enough data upon which to give advice, but I suggest if you're a drinker to try a few passages at your leisure one evening after just a few drinks and see how it changes your perspective. Its changed the way I read verbal passages.

For the record, they were TPR verbal workbook practice verbal exam 1 passages that I did after drinking, and I didn't miss more than 1 question on any of them (well until after I drank a little more).

Members don't see this ad.

maybe that might help if the verbal section were the last of the day...but how does the alchy change your bio and phys scores...thats the true test;) let us know!

15 minute break >> That's enough time for a couple of shots.

Then we have lunch after verbal, which will give enough time for the alcohol to wear off before the writing section!!

=)

Members don't see this ad :)
DrMojorisin said:
For a long time I did verbal passages sitting upright in a chair with maximum focus. Recently, I decided to try a few after 3 or 4 shots of tequila. The results were impressive, my scores skyrocketed (until about the 6th shot of tequila where they began to fall off dramatically). Now I'm not suggesting that alcohol improves ones judgment at all. But, I think that moderate amounts impaired my ability to read so much that I was forced to only pay attention to main ideas and I lost track of the details. By only following the main ideas of the paragraphs, I didn't get bogged down with so much needless information, and I was able to see how the passage fit together and I get a better "feel" for what the author's point of view. I no longer fell for all the attractors that typically sucker me in with details from the passage that are best forgotten about. And I also think confidence played a big role. I was far more confident in my sub-sober answers in most cases, and so I was able to forget about old questions and move on more quickly (the confidence was well justified in nearly every case, as well). Well, I'm sure this won't be a popular suggestion, and you all would be correct in saying I don't have enough data upon which to give advice, but I suggest if you're a drinker to try a few passages at your leisure one evening after just a few drinks and see how it changes your perspective. Its changed the way I read verbal passages.

For the record, they were TPR verbal workbook practice verbal exam 1 passages that I did after drinking, and I didn't miss more than 1 question on any of them (well until after I drank a little more).

he's basically saying what the examkrackers verbal strategy is saying... focus on the main idea of the passage and not on the details... you don't need alcohol for that even tho that's a good idea. :thumbup:

Good point!! The strategies do mirror those of EK. I'm not surprised, since that's the verbal method I'm using. I just happened to have difficulty implementing it until I inadvertently relaxed my concentration. I thought some others might suffer from the same unrelenting obsession with detail that I do and that they may benefit. I don't make a habit of mixing drinking and studying, though.

As for why I'm returning to medical school after the phd, I have at least 3 main reasons (in random order).

1) Finishing the Ph.D. and interacting with the medical students during my Ph.D. has given me the confidence to believe that I will be a good physician. Beforehand, I was very afraid I'd be a poor physician. My conscience couldn't have dealt with that.

2) Finishing my Ph.D has has dramatically improved my chances at matching at competitive residencies. Personally, I know I wouldn't enjoy being a general practitioner.

3) Despite having Ph.D and MBA, I still can't develop a reasonable career in my hometown (its too rural), and I can't leave my hometown without leaving my 4 yr old son behind. Yet, there is a medical school here. Getting to see my son grow up would have been reason enough for me (but probably not admissions committees).

DrMojorisin said:

Thats very interesting. i would like more people to try this and post their results, at the very least it would be somewhat entertaining to read. The only downside would be knowing for the rest of my life, deep down in my heart, that the aamc wants people who make cognitive judgements similar to that of drunk people to become doctors. :scared: