Very bad AMCAS mistake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skindog254

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently applying this cycle and filling out secondaries, but I just noticed a huge mistake I made on my AMCAS. I put "private investigator" as my PI's title instead of "principal investigator" (there really is no good explanation for this whatsoever), and I'm horrified. I am now second guessing whether I should submit the secondaries, or if it's a lost cause at this point. The rest of my application is pretty solid (3.78 sGPA, 3.85 cGPA, 514 MCAT), but does anyone have any idea how much this mistake may affect my chances of medical schools taking my app seriously?

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt anyone will reject you over that bud.

But to be safe contact AMCAS and tell them, this is a very simple, innocent fix.

Mad funny though :p

Wait, I thought it wasn't possible to edit the activities section after the AMCAS has been submitted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait, I thought it wasn't possible to edit the activities section after the AMCAS has been submitted?
You're correct that it is not possible to edit the Activities section after submission. However, I agree that this isn't a "bad" AMCAS mistake. I suspect most eyes will pass over the error and interpret as you intended it to be. If anyone reads carefully enough to notice and comment, a brief humorous comment will bale you out. "Yeah, he stays in his office most of the time." Or, "I haven't learned his favorite sport teams after all these months."

Reactions: 1 user
Lol I guess I could try to make a joke out of it and hopefully the person isn't a jerk. Should I say nothing about it though unless somebody brings it up in an interview or something? I shouldn't make a disclaimer of it in any secondaries or anything right?

I think many more readers will be highly amused than think "what a *****"; don't sweat it.

I'm currently applying this cycle and filling out secondaries, but I just noticed a huge mistake I made on my AMCAS. I put "private investigator" as my PI's title instead of "principal investigator" (there really is no good explanation for this whatsoever), and I'm horrified. I am now second guessing whether I should submit the secondaries, or if it's a lost cause at this point. The rest of my application is pretty solid (3.78 sGPA, 3.85 cGPA, 514 MCAT), but does anyone have any idea how much this mistake may affect my chances of medical schools taking my app seriously?

I imagine most adcoms will get a sensible chuckle out of this, and it will have virtually zero impact on your app.