very confusing terminology tbr bio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

echoyjeff222

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of the passages in section V is about Erythroblastosis Fetalis. It says on question 59 that A is correct because "there are no maternal antigens to the Rh factor antigens"

This makes no sense to me. Does it mean ANTIBODIES? When I first read it I had no clue what it meant.

Members don't see this ad.

One of the passages in section V is about Erythroblastosis Fetalis. It says on question 59 that A is correct because "there are no maternal antigens to the Rh factor antigens"

This makes no sense to me. Does it mean ANTIBODIES? When I first read it I had no clue what it meant.
It could be worded better. Erythroblastosis Fetalis (hemolytic anemia) occurs when the mother's own antibodies against the babies Rh antigen attacks and destroys the babies red blood cells. This is specifically regarding an Rh- mother (lacks Rh antigen). A mother will develop antibodies against Rh upon prior exposure to Rh antigen (whether due to a previous blood transfusion or during a a previous birth). These antibodies (specifically, IgG antibodies) are able to diffuse through the placenta and attack the babies RBC's (which do possess the Rh antigen; atleast in this scenario).

So in short:

Mother: no Rh antigen, Rh antibodies
Baby: Rh antigen

Rh-antibodies + Rh antigen = RBC lysis ==> hemolytic anemia.

Reactions: 1 user