Very low Step 1 score, chances at residency in EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nanc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All.

I am an IMG who scored 186/75 on USMLE Step 1. I am a US citizen, have decent grades from med school and have 3-4 years of ER work experience prior to medical school. I have great clinical marks for all rotations (A's) and am looking for a place to scheduling my ER elective now. I've always been a bad standardized test taker, which is the reason I went to a Caribbean medical school. I've always wanted to go into EM but am afraid now I will not be able to do so. I am aware that EM is one of the most competative residencies and not the most IMG friendly. I do want to work for it, but realistically could someone please tell me what they think with a low score like this and my expectations? Does anyone who might have been in my position (with only 5-6 months left to go til ERAS) know of anything else that might better my chances besides scoring high on Step 2? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
crush Step 2CK? I've been told this is one of the best ways to make up for a lackluster Step 1 score. EM is competitive now, but not as bad as many others.

Good luck

Hello All.

I am an IMG who scored 186/75 on USMLE Step 1. I am a US citizen, have decent grades from med school and have 3-4 years of ER work experience prior to medical school. I have great clinical marks for all rotations (A's) and am looking for a place to scheduling my ER elective now. I've always been a bad standardized test taker, which is the reason I went to a Caribbean medical school. I've always wanted to go into EM but am afraid now I will not be able to do so. I am aware that EM is one of the most competative residencies and not the most IMG friendly. I do want to work for it, but realistically could someone please tell me what they think with a low score like this and my expectations? Does anyone who might have been in my position (with only 5-6 months left to go til ERAS) know of anything else that might better my chances besides scoring high on Step 2? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

So, you failed step 1? Correct me if I'm wrong, but 188 is passing, no?

No. I took Step 1 before they raised the bar for passing. I took my Step 1 summer of '09.