Very non-traditional, in my late 30s with 2 kids, non-science major. Is it too crazy to apply to dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fishsoup

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a non traditional student applying summer 2024. I know it's a crazy idea to decide to switch my career in my late 30s, but I want to hear some opinions of you all and get some encouragement. Here is my situation:

Bachelor's Degree: Foreign degree, non-science major. (journalism) No science classes were on my transcript. GPA 3.09
Master's Degree: US. Degree, non-science major. (journalism) No science classes were on my transcript. GPA 3.89
Graduated in 2011, established Citizenship in the U.S. Got married, got jobs, 2 kids (4 and 10 yo). Spent the last 6-7 years working as an office manager at the state college. Fast forward in 2022, I've decided to change my career to Dentistry, started to work on my Pre-reqs, EC activities, etc.
Pre-reqs: Most of them in a CC, 1 Orgo in the state college I work at (mainly due to the cost and schedule flexibility). About to finish all pre-req requirements, a few courses left. GPA: 4.0 so far.
Non-traditional: Very much yes. I'm old as I mentioned, in my late 30s, but I look like in the early 30s lol (at least people around me in my class can't tell that I have family and kids). Background from a completely different field, and been working in a completely different field.
EC Experiences: I have started to work as a DA in a General Dentist office part time. Will Have about 1000 working hours by the time I apply. 150 hours of shadowing in 2 offices. 200 hours volunteering in a community dental clinic and hospitals, shelters, etc. I'm in the Pre-dent club, have known quite a bit of the current dental students and a few faculty via various events hosted by the dental school in my state.
DAT: Haven't taken it yet. But I am fairly confident that I will at least get the average 21, or maybe higher.
LOR: I have a very good relationship with the dentist I work with, and so I can get a very strong letter. I do have a committee in my school, where I will get a letter ( haven't happened yet so don't know how strong it will be). I can also get very strong letters from the professors from my pre-req courses, but only problems it that they are professors from CC. Also know a dentist who is the owner of a very big group practice, he can provide a letter but I need to work with him more to let him get to know me.

I have been trying really hard (honestly all the effort I can make) to get ready as much as possible. I have a full time job and finding a shadowing and working experience was extremely hard to fit into my schedule, not event talking about taking classes and caring for my family. But long story short, I was lucky (and a lot of effort!) to work part-time as a DA in a dental office and I confirmed my passion for Dentistry there. So my day goes something like this: working 3 days in my full time job, other 2 days in the dental clinic, but working remotely at the same time for my other job(yes it's crazy), and taking classes at night and some other random time, studying on the weekend for the exams, and basically let my kids grow up by themselves lol. (My husband helps a lot). Volunteering after work time in the free clinic and around holidays when I have some time on my hand.

So, I know it's a crazy idea to go to Dental School in my situation, but I am really confident this is what I want to do for the rest of my life. At the same time, I feel that I have made a good deal of effort to prove that I have the commitment. I want to hear your opinions, ideas, and suggestions, any feedback is appreciated.

Specifically, I have some questions:
1. I plan to finish all the pre-req requirements of course. But since my background is from a non-science major, is it necessary to add additional science classes? Like a lot of biology and upper-division science courses?
2. What kind of application strategy should I take? Apply broad and wisely? what does that actually mean?
3. What can I do to increase my chance? A killer DAT? A killer LOR?

Please ask me any questions if I didn't provide any info in my post. Again, really appreciate we have this community! Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I'm a non traditional student applying summer 2024. I know it's a crazy idea to decide to switch my career in my late 30s, but I want to hear some opinions of you all and get some encouragement. Here is my situation:

Bachelor's Degree: Foreign degree, non-science major. (journalism) No science classes were on my transcript. GPA 3.09
Master's Degree: US. Degree, non-science major. (journalism) No science classes were on my transcript. GPA 3.89
Graduated in 2011, established Citizenship in the U.S. Got married, got jobs, 2 kids (4 and 10 yo). Spent the last 6-7 years working as an office manager at the state college. Fast forward in 2022, I've decided to change my career to Dentistry, started to work on my Pre-reqs, EC activities, etc.
Pre-reqs: Most of them in a CC, 1 Orgo in the state college I work at (mainly due to the cost and schedule flexibility). About to finish all pre-req requirements, a few courses left. GPA: 4.0 so far.
Non-traditional: Very much yes. I'm old as I mentioned, in my late 30s, but I look like in the early 30s lol (at least people around me in my class can't tell that I have family and kids). Background from a completely different field, and been working in a completely different field.
EC Experiences: I have started to work as a DA in a General Dentist office part time. Will Have about 1000 working hours by the time I apply. 150 hours of shadowing in 2 offices. 200 hours volunteering in a community dental clinic and hospitals, shelters, etc. I'm in the Pre-dent club, have known quite a bit of the current dental students and a few faculty via various events hosted by the dental school in my state.
DAT: Haven't taken it yet. But I am fairly confident that I will at least get the average 21, or maybe higher.
LOR: I have a very good relationship with the dentist I work with, and so I can get a very strong letter. I do have a committee in my school, where I will get a letter ( haven't happened yet so don't know how strong it will be). I can also get very strong letters from the professors from my pre-req courses, but only problems it that they are professors from CC. Also know a dentist who is the owner of a very big group practice, he can provide a letter but I need to work with him more to let him get to know me.

I have been trying really hard (honestly all the effort I can make) to get ready as much as possible. I have a full time job and finding a shadowing and working experience was extremely hard to fit into my schedule, not event talking about taking classes and caring for my family. But long story short, I was lucky (and a lot of effort!) to work part-time as a DA in a dental office and I confirmed my passion for Dentistry there. So my day goes something like this: working 3 days in my full time job, other 2 days in the dental clinic, but working remotely at the same time for my other job(yes it's crazy), and taking classes at night and some other random time, studying on the weekend for the exams, and basically let my kids grow up by themselves lol. (My husband helps a lot). Volunteering after work time in the free clinic and around holidays when I have some time on my hand.

So, I know it's a crazy idea to go to Dental School in my situation, but I am really confident this is what I want to do for the rest of my life. At the same time, I feel that I have made a good deal of effort to prove that I have the commitment. I want to hear your opinions, ideas, and suggestions, any feedback is appreciated.

1. I plan to finish all the pre-req requirements of course. But since my background is from a non-science major, is it necessary to add additional science classes? Like a lot of biology and upper-division science courses?
2. What kind of application strategy should I take? Apply broad and wisely? what does that actually mean?

Please ask me any questions if I didn't provide any info in my post. Again, really appreciate we have this community! Thanks in advance for your feedback.
doing really well in the DAT will help convince adcoms that you can handle the rigors of dental school...

@macsak Thank you so much for your input! So assume that I do very well on DAT, in your opinion, do I still need any other science courses on top of the pre-reqs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not worth it. You’re too old to have a decent payoff from the investment.
:cryi::cryi: @Ivy.ch Financially, I've been saving up and can pay maybe half of the tuition of my state's dental school. I'm in the midwest so furtunately tuition is around $250k, assuming that I have a higher chance to get in to my in state dental school, I will have about 100k in debt, I thought that's doable.

:cryi::cryi: @Ivy.ch Financially, I've been saving up and can pay maybe half of the tuition of my state's dental school. I'm in the midwest so furtunately tuition is around $250k, assuming that I have a higher chance to get in to my in state dental school, I will have about 100k in debt, I thought that's doable.
It does depend on how long you plan on working and what potential salary you could get after school. Assuming you graduate at 43, could you see yourself working until 70? In that case, 27 years of making good money would be worth it. But if you're planning on retiring at 60, the numbers get fuzzy. Furthermore, expected salary is something to look at. Taking home after taxes $80K a year vs. taking home after taxes 140K a year is a big difference.

It does depend on how long you plan on working and what potential salary you could get after school. Assuming you graduate at 43, could you see yourself working until 70? In that case, 27 years of making good money would be worth it. But if you're planning on retiring at 60, the numbers get fuzzy. Furthermore, expected salary is something to look at. Taking home after taxes $80K a year vs. taking home after taxes 140K a year is a big difference.
@Bigjt1420 Thanks for the math! :) I plan on working as long as possible, it's too early to tell, but my plan is not to retire early. Median salary in my state is $170k/year, not sure how much tax will be deducted from there. I can take home maybe $120k a year.
So if I have $100k in debt, assume I can pay it off in 2-3 years after graduation. My spouse makes good money and can support me during dental school. I will be debt free maybe around 45, 46. Maybe work 20 years after that. That's my plan. Is it not realistic?
Anyway, does ADCOM care about my financial situation too? Honestly, financially I think it's not too bad, but a lot is for my passion and calling for life.

@macsak Thank you so much for your input! So assume that I do very well on DAT, in your opinion, do I still need any other science courses on top of the pre-reqs?
it would help a lot, since most of your prereqs are CC

Welcome to the forums.

I'll take your questions about whether it's crazy off the board. In my admissions experience, I have reviewed and been able to admit non-traditional students at a similar point in life as you have described, including the fact you emigrated from a different country. You have put in a lot of effort to learn about the dental industry (from a limited perspective of as a clinic worker/DA). If your BCP GPA stays above 3.7 and your DAT is strong, you will be in a great position.

Networking with students at the closest dental schools will help you. I don't think you want to completely uproot your family beyond 100 miles from where you live. Stay close to the local schools to you, and attend any of their recruitment sessions. Look for other nontrad students attending them, and ask them pointed questions about managing DS and family. Also attend your state dental association meetings.

The financial questions are significant, and you need to be sure the debt you could accrue is worth it. You probably won't be looking at HPSP, so what do you see yourself doing? Yes, 100K is more manageable, but we don't know about your family needs like mortgage or college expenses. Financial status is not factored in admissions decisions. It sounds like you are confident though, but make sure you get your general questions answered with financial aid and your own family financial planner.

Reactions: 1 user
Welcome to the forums.

I'll take your questions about whether it's crazy off the board. In my admissions experience, I have reviewed and been able to admit non-traditional students at a similar point in life as you have described, including the fact you emigrated from a different country. You have put in a lot of effort to learn about the dental industry (from a limited perspective of as a clinic worker/DA). If your BCP GPA stays above 3.7 and your DAT is strong, you will be in a great position.

Networking with students at the closest dental schools will help you. I don't think you want to completely uproot your family beyond 100 miles from where you live. Stay close to the local schools to you, and attend any of their recruitment sessions. Look for other nontrad students attending them, and ask them pointed questions about managing DS and family. Also attend your state dental association meetings.

The financial questions are significant, and you need to be sure the debt you could accrue is worth it. You probably won't be looking at HPSP, so what do you see yourself doing? Yes, 100K is more manageable, but we don't know about your family needs like mortgage or college expenses. Financial status is not factored in admissions decisions. It sounds like you are confident though, but make sure you get your general questions answered with financial aid and your own family financial planner.
@Mr.Smile12 Thank you for your advice, really appreciate your feedback. Financial questions are something that I planned at the very beginning of my pre-dental journey. And I'm glad you guys all brought it up because it reminds me that I need to do it realistically. I think I have a pretty solid plan financially as long as I stay in state or close by in the Midwest. As you mentioned, I can't really move too far anyway due to my family situation. Thanks again for your advice, do you mind if I send you a PM?

Reactions: 1 user
@Bigjt1420 Thanks for the math! :) I plan on working as long as possible, it's too early to tell, but my plan is not to retire early. Median salary in my state is $170k/year, not sure how much tax will be deducted from there. I can take home maybe $120k a year.
So if I have $100k in debt, assume I can pay it off in 2-3 years after graduation. My spouse makes good money and can support me during dental school. I will be debt free maybe around 45, 46. Maybe work 20 years after that. That's my plan. Is it not realistic?
Anyway, does ADCOM care about my financial situation too? Honestly, financially I think it's not too bad, but a lot is for my passion and calling for life.
It's a realistic plan. If you really think it's your calling and you want to do it, I think financially it would work. The benefit is you'll never have to worry about getting laid off or finding a job since you're in a career that is needed/not just anybody off the street can do. Like other posters have said, getting a high DAT score is vital, especially being a non-traditional student. That said, I had a classmate that graduated at 41 so don't feel too down on yourself. And she's doing very well and is very happy. Good luck!

i am turning 36 next month, and just finished postbacc at nyu with 3.85 and scored AA24 TS25 last weekend.
My undergrad was 3.16 and I got master degree in 2019 of financial engineering with 3.91 GPA. Has been running my own business over 10 year.

Nothing is crazy, if you want to do, go for it.

Reactions: 3 users