Vet School and Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gwenevre

Pre-Nursing
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's my question. I've been an Indiana resident for over 10yrs, so Purdue right now is my instate. However, my parents are thinking heavily about moving to Tennessee. By taxes, I am their dependent (for this last year only), though I have been supporting myself all throughout my undergrad career, and will be supporting myself once I graduate in December. If my parents do move, does my residency status move with them? I have no intention of applying to Tennessee right now.

Members don't see this ad.

So here's my question. I've been an Indiana resident for over 10yrs, so Purdue right now is my instate. However, my parents are thinking heavily about moving to Tennessee. By taxes, I am their dependent (for this last year only), though I have been supporting myself all throughout my undergrad career, and will be supporting myself once I graduate in December. If my parents do move, does my residency status move with them? I have no intention of applying to Tennessee right now.
If you're supporting yourself, I think you might be able to call yourself an independent on the residency questions, and maybe not have to use your parents' state of residence as your own state of residence. You could probably check with Purdue to be sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think (again, I'd check with Purdue) that your parent's will have had to have been in TN for awhile and file taxes with that state etc and so on for residency to change. Are they listing you as a dependent for 2014? Honestly I believe if they file taxes both in IL and TN and the majority for IL, plus with your 10+ years living there etc and so on you should be solid claiming yourself as in state for IL.

No, they are not going to list me as a dependent for 2014 at my request.

Bumping this thread. My husband is military and it's likely that we'll have to leave California when he's up for orders again in a year. I'm feeling a bit sad and stressed because I've been focusing my efforts on Davis and think their evaluation criteria is favorable to my circumstances. Is there a way to keep California residency while living elsewhere? What if my legal address is in CA, our cars are registered in CA, and my drivers license is CA?

Residency requirements vary by school so the best source of information would be to call up admissions for that particular school. For Davis, there's a residency officer separate from vet school admission's office to contact. Some schools/states are very stringent, others are very flexible. No matter what the popular opinion is on SDN, it really doesn't matter so I'd seriously just pick up the phone and ask. And I'd also try to get it in writing if at all possible (ask for somewhere on their website that outlines residency requirements, or email them, etc...)

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks! I had no idea they had a residency officer. I will try to get in touch with him/her :)

Many schools will give instate tuition to military dependents, regardless of residency status. Residency stuff is often different for military because we often have no choice where we live. Obviously check with the school, but this has been my experience.

Military residency waivers usually only apply to people stationed in that state at the time they apply. So if you aren't living in California the waiver for in-state doesn't apply. It is also usually only for undergraduate programs. Definitely call the school and get the most accurate information possible.

I don't think that is correct, ResoluteMike. I agree that the original poster needs to contact the school of interest, but I've had several schools tell me that I would receive in-state tuition (even though I am an OOS applicant) while my husband is active duty. It is not just for undergrad.

When I was still looking at Colorado State to finish my prereqs, undergrad was much more forgiving of residency then the DVM program. I would have still required the full year to have residency post pre-reqs. I had talked with Davis as well since my wife is from California, but I don't remember the specifics. In both cases it took a couple phone calls to the school and shuffling between departments, since residency questions for active duty in programs like a DVM don't come up very often.