Vet School Class Officers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vetvetvet333

Reaction score
Hello! I learned that there are class officers in vet school. This may be something I’m interested in once I get there. I was wondering if these positions are worth it? I was recently talking to a current class president and was told “the best advice I can give you about vet school is to not be class president”. I was curious if anyone actually enjoyed their experience with it? Thank you :)

I am also curious what the election process is like.

Members don't see this ad.

I was on our class executive board, though not president specifically. I enjoyed it. If you've had leadership positions before it's not really any different, just maybe on a larger scale if you've only led small clubs. I didn't personally feel like it took up a significant portion of my time or anything, and (among other things) it was something I did that was a nice break from studying and classes. You do end up being a sounding board for various issues members of your class are having (with the curriculum, particular classes, scheduling, interpersonal stuff, etc etc) so I wouldn't do it if you hate listening to people's problems and trying to help find solutions.

I'm sure there's some variation in how the election process works, but for us about a week or two after the first semester started, anyone who was interested in an executive board position gave a short speech to the class and then there was a simple ballot. The class above us ran our first election, and then after that we had elections each year that we ran ourselves. Usually the same people were elected unless they didn't want the job anymore.

Reactions: 1 users
My program didn’t have class President, etc, but we did have 2 elected student representatives and I served in one of those positions until I stepped out for my PhD, and was the student council president as well.

Like anything else, it has its ups and downs. IME, you can’t go into it expecting that people will notice or appreciate the little things you do if you go above and beyond the duty expectations - they won’t, they’re focused on their own stressors. I didn’t find it a particularly rewarding experience regarding my interactions with my class, BUT, I did work extremely closely with the faculty on a number of actionable items brought forward by my class, and building those networks and relationships was something I really enjoyed.

We facilitated changes that will benefit future classes and that’s a better feeling, for me, than any sense of “man, this was so much fun!” Being a class rep took a lot of my free time, but I didn’t mind that part of it. The work I did was the best part, honestly. The interpersonal stuff, maybe a little less something I look back on fondly :laugh:. I like helping people find solutions to problems and being their sounding board though.

In being a class officer, you just need to be ready to deal with very high achievers, who are very stressed out, and whose emotions might not be regulated well from that combination. My class got a reputation with the faculty of treating the class reps badly, so that colors my opinion to some extent. But would I do it again?

Yeah. Yeah I would.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A couple of classmates suggested I run for class president in 3rd year I think? And I was like hell no :laugh: It seemed like a lot of listening to people complain about stuff (some worthy, some petty) and acting as a liaison where needed. It would be rewarding to institute change but it did seem like a good amount of work and I wanted to focus on other stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
I was president of my Fraternity so didn't go for that again. I do have a more minor office and am President of the biggest club we have so that is enough!

Hey there! I'm currently one of the presidents of my class (there are 3 of us), and I have personally really enjoyed it but I feel like whether or not it is a positive experience is super dependent on the class dynamics and who the president team is/if they work well together. Not sure if other schools only have a single class president, but if that was the situation I'm not sure I would recommend it because I think it is a lot mentally for one person.

Not sure if other schools only have a single class president
Illinois has 1 class rep (aka prez). But we also have a treasurer and several other positions. So prez essentially acts as the class rep to the school administration

I think our entire class e-board was like 10 people, so definitely varies school to school. Some positions it was optional to have a second person but there were always co-presidents. And at least for us, while the presidents were more of a liaison with admin, my position was the faculty liaison. And the VP was more the person to go to for intra-class issues. So things got shared among the members of the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.