Vet School IN Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angelz90

Angel
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm Angel~

I need help from current Australia vet students. I'm planning to do vet next year and still don't know which university is good for vet studies. Can anyone make any recommendation?

Thanks a lot..

Members don't see this ad.

According to Wikipedia, these are your choices:

I doubt that one is going to be better than the others... perhaps the newer ones haven't has as long to establish their programs?

Is there a specific area you're interested in?

I'm sure Nexx or theunraveler will be able to tell you more.

According to Wikipedia, these are your choices:

I doubt that one is going to be better than the others... perhaps the newer ones haven't has as long to establish their programs?

Is there a specific area you're interested in?

I'm sure Nexx or theunraveler will be able to tell you more.

I think I'm more interested in small animals rather than large animals or exotics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just letting you know that Charles Sturt University doesn't take overseas students yet. I'm also unsure if the University of Adelaide takes overseas students, but you would have to contact them to find out for sure.

I don't know if this might be something you're also interested in... but only 3 of the Australian universities are AVMA-accredited:
Murdoch University in West Australia
University of Sydney in New South Wales
University of Melbourne in Victoria

FYI, there's an entire forum on SDN for Australian schools. It's mostly med students, but there are a few dental and vet students who pop their heads in to ask questions.

Of the schools on the list above, I think Sydney and Melbourne have the strongest reputation around Australia.

Just letting you know that Charles Sturt University doesn't take overseas students yet. I'm also unsure if the University of Adelaide takes overseas students, but you would have to contact them to find out for sure.

Ok~ Thanks for your information. =)

I don't know if this might be something you're also interested in... but only 3 of the Australian universities are AVMA-accredited:
Murdoch University in West Australia
University of Sydney in New South Wales
University of Melbourne in Victoria

hmm.. I think I'll narrow my choice to these three. Thanks.

FYI, there's an entire forum on SDN for Australian schools. It's mostly med students, but there are a few dental and vet students who pop their heads in to ask questions.

Of the schools on the list above, I think Sydney and Melbourne have the strongest reputation around Australia.

opps.. I didn't realise that.. Thanks a lot for telling me!! I'll try to ask again about this topic it that forum.. :D

If you go UQ vet school next year, you most likely will be in the first batch to get AVMA accreditation. But of course, dont quote me...

^^ Yup, the only reason UQ isn't AVMA accredited it because of the facilities available at the St Lucia campus, which is all changing next year when we move to Gatton. The AVMA people have already been and the accreditation is already under review. The new facilities at Gatton will be amazing and even though I live 1.5hrs away I am still excited to be going there next year. I daresay I'll miss out on accreditation but I don't really care either..

The best thing about UQ, is that it's in QLD :) I may be a little biased but I hate the cold!!!

^^ Yup, the only reason UQ isn't AVMA accredited it because of the facilities available at the St Lucia campus, which is all changing next year when we move to Gatton. The AVMA people have already been and the accreditation is already under review. The new facilities at Gatton will be amazing and even though I live 1.5hrs away I am still excited to be going there next year. I daresay I'll miss out on accreditation but I don't really care either..

The best thing about UQ, is that it's in QLD :) I may be a little biased but I hate the cold!!!
There is a forum this Monday about the Gatton move...

Hi, I'm currently at Murdoch! I think Murdoch is an absolutely fantastic vet school, and Perth has a wonderful lifestyle, with great weather, beaches, and surrounded by wine districts! The school itself is very well set up and the course has just been revamped so its even better!
And the BEST thing about murdoch... is that the farm and hospital are on campus! UNLIKE most australian schools - Sydney and Melbourne are a fair commute from their farm, and I believe UQ is moving to their farm, maybe???

TBH - among Australian vet schools, there is varying views toward which is best. Melbourne used to be really hard to get into - but that was only because they accept 10 out of school a year, not because their degree was very good. They're currently setting up an entirely new degree structure, much more like the american system.
Sydney vet school more has a good rep because its attached to the uni of syd, not because the vet med is really quality.
I chose to go to murdoch after speaking with a lot of veterinarians who worked in the government and academics, and they recommended Murdoch to me above all others. You get a great grounding in smallies and largies, given we are the only major veterinary centre for nearly 1000km!!!

On another note, Murdoch may be easier for you to get into than others, because they take in 90 students every year, but specifically set aside atleast 30 places for overseas students. We have a huge number of american and canadian students in my class, so you definately wouldnt be alone!

One other thing to remember before coming to Australia - there will be young ones in your class! A lot of students in Australia enter vet straight out of highschool - I'm 19 and in second year! So as long as you dont mind mixing and mingling and becoming friends with people who could potentially be a lot younger than you (and yes, we like our mature aged students!) feel free to come to australia!!!

Hi, I'm currently at Murdoch! I think Murdoch is an absolutely fantastic vet school, and Perth has a wonderful lifestyle, with great weather, beaches, and surrounded by wine districts! The school itself is very well set up and the course has just been revamped so its even better!
And the BEST thing about murdoch... is that the farm and hospital are on campus! UNLIKE most australian schools - Sydney and Melbourne are a fair commute from their farm, and I believe UQ is moving to their farm, maybe???

TBH - among Australian vet schools, there is varying views toward which is best. Melbourne used to be really hard to get into - but that was only because they accept 10 out of school a year, not because their degree was very good. They're currently setting up an entirely new degree structure, much more like the american system.
Sydney vet school more has a good rep because its attached to the uni of syd, not because the vet med is really quality.
I chose to go to murdoch after speaking with a lot of veterinarians who worked in the government and academics, and they recommended Murdoch to me above all others. You get a great grounding in smallies and largies, given we are the only major veterinary centre for nearly 1000km!!!

On another note, Murdoch may be easier for you to get into than others, because they take in 90 students every year, but specifically set aside atleast 30 places for overseas students. We have a huge number of american and canadian students in my class, so you definately wouldnt be alone!

One other thing to remember before coming to Australia - there will be young ones in your class! A lot of students in Australia enter vet straight out of highschool - I'm 19 and in second year! So as long as you dont mind mixing and mingling and becoming friends with people who could potentially be a lot younger than you (and yes, we like our mature aged students!) feel free to come to australia!!!

Hi Sunshinevet, was wondering if you could share what reasons the people who you spoke to gave for recommending Murdoch above the others. Some vets I spoke to said that the top 4 programs (usyd, melb, uq, murdoch) are pretty much the same and their course structures are pretty similar since the content you learn is mainly aimed towards professional licensing.

Last edited:
Most of the people I spoke to about the different universities recommended Murdoch because they felt the quality of the clinical teaching and research opportunities were better. That said, many veterinarians I knew were former members of the teaching/research staff at murdoch. Though with the course restructuring, most of what puts Murdoch ahead is that you get to spend more time in the clinical years, as they have cut out the basic science from the degree (you have to have completed 1 year general science beforehand). This allows us to spend more time learning theoretical med + surg in 4th year, and allows us greater opportunity to persue personal interests on clinical rotations in 5th year than most of the vet schools.

None of UQ/Syd/Melb will give you a second rate education though either! They are all excellent vet schools with good international reputations.

I was sooooooo happy to read this! I am a 21-year-old undergrad transferring to UC Davis as a junior this coming fall, and have been seriously considering going to Australia for vet school. I am planning on entering the US Army (through their scholarship program that pays for the schooling) and was worried that they wouldn't cover school overseas. Then, I got a call back Friday from my recruiter and they said as long as it's AVMA certified I'm good to go!

Do you have any other advice/comments about vet school in Australia? :)