Vet School vs Vet Tech School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JL050606

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all:
I'm new to SDN so bear with me. I live in NH where the closest accredited Vet School is 2-3hrs away (no Vet School in NH nor VT). I am interested in applying to Vet School but b/c of distance I thought of pursuing Vet Tech through an accredited online Vet Tech School program like Purdue Univ until my husband and I can move to a state where I can apply and be close to a Vet School. Any comments from anyone on how I should proceed from this?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all:
I'm new to SDN so bear with me. I live in NH where the closest accredited Vet School is 2-3hrs away (no Vet School in NH nor VT). I am interested in applying to Vet School but b/c of distance I thought of pursuing Vet Tech through an accredited online Vet Tech School program like Purdue Univ until my husband and I can move to a state where I can apply and be close to a Vet School. Any comments from anyone on how I should proceed from this?
Thanks.

If your interested in vet school your best bet is to go to a local undergraduate school and do the prerequisites for the vet schools you want to apply to. Going to vet tech school will only help you if you want to be a vet tech. It generally doesn't cover all or even most of the prereqs.

Thanks Angelo. I have a masters in Biology and have been doing basic science (with animal) research for 5+ years. I believe I have all of the pre-req courses but not the animal (hands-on) experience. This is a change of career for me as I enjoy working with (and love to learn more) about animal health and care. I thought of doing Vet Tech first because there are no Vet Schools close to me and I cannot move until next year. If you think going to Vet Tech school will hurt my chances of eventually going to Vet School or would be a waste of time, then I'd use up my time volunteering at kennels, humane society, and vet clinics instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Angelo. I have a masters in Biology and have been doing basic science (with animal) research for 5+ years. I believe I have all of the pre-req courses but not the animal (hands-on) experience. This is a change of career for me as I enjoy working with (and love to learn more) about animal health and care. I thought of doing Vet Tech first because there are no Vet Schools close to me and I cannot move until next year. If you think going to Vet Tech school will hurt my chances of eventually going to Vet School or would be a waste of time, then I'd use up my time volunteering at kennels, humane society, and vet clinics instead.

Your research will count as veterinary experience, and if you applied this summer to vet school and got in you wouldn't be starting until Fall 2010 anyway (re: the "can't move until next year" comment).

If you want to be a vet tech, go to vet tech school. If you want to be a vet, go to vet school. The two careers are not equivalent in any way.

Hi, I would focus your time, then, on getting your experience, in anticipation of applying later/near future. Try to get varied experience, both large and small animal. I believe - I think others will agree - that your animal research will be a strong element of your application!

You seem poised to apply for a DVM program, not a tech program. I think your time is invested best by obtaining more, varied experience now.

Example: Six months of large animal work and six months of small animal, and something else, say, would look alot better than a year or two of vet tech school.

Applications for most of the US vet schools are due in the beginning of October for entry into the class of 2014 that would start in August of 2010. So if you could move then I would go ahead and apply. Your research experience will count as vet experience but you would want to get as much clinical experience as you can. You can list experiences on VMCAS as start date to present if you don't have total hours yet and will continue volunteering or working in that position. As far as prereqs go I would double check with the websites of the schools you are planning on applying to. Some of the prereqs are very specific such as animal nutrition. Most vet schools require a year of general chemistry, year of biology, year of physics, year of organic, some schools want biochem as well. I would spend some time getting some clincial experience and get your application together.

Thanks cookiebear and angelo84.
I will be volunteering at my local humane society and rescue league of new hampshire. I am also looking at some volunteer work at a local farm. It would be nice to be able to shadow a Vet, but even my own Vet is not too keen to the idea. :(

Look around, then. You don't have to shadow your own vet... sometimes it takes a lot of persistence to find a vet that will let you shadow them. Make a resume! Try to impress them! Tell them about your awesome animal research! :)

Going to vet tech school will only help you if you want to be a vet tech. It generally doesn't cover all or even most of the prereqs.

100% correct

Thanks Angelo. I have a masters in Biology and have been doing basic science (with animal) research for 5+ years. I believe I have all of the pre-req courses but not the animal (hands-on) experience. .

How old are your pre-reqs? Some school will not accept courses older than 6-8 yrs. Double check on those.

If you think going to Vet Tech school will hurt my chances of eventually going to Vet School or would be a waste of time, then I'd use up my time volunteering at kennels, humane society, and vet clinics instead.

This may be the case at some schools. A vet tech degree definately raises some flags in certain cases. Ie: went to tech school and now applying to vet school = uncertainty of career choice. :rolleyes: The time and financial investment for VT school is a big deal. Given that some schools will not consider VT courses taken in your course weight scores, it could be a plus, but would be a liability if the majority of your undergrad was taken PT.

If you want to be a vet tech, go to vet tech school. If you want to be a vet, go to vet school. The two careers are not equivalent in any way.

Totally agree with ya Nyanko!

You seem poised to apply for a DVM program, not a tech program. I think your time is invested best by obtaining more, varied experience now. I would focus your time, then, on getting your experience, in anticipation of applying later/near future. Try to get varied experience, both large and small animal. I believe - I think others will agree - that your animal research will be a strong element of your application!

Example: Six months of large animal work and six months of small animal, and something else, say, would look alot better than a year or two of vet tech school.

Very nicely put Cookie Bear. I would like to add in this economy it is proving more difficult to get a variety of experiences. But I would encourage you to be "graciously" persistant with local clinics and something will usually turn up. There have been multiple threads on here about volunteer positions that lead to paid experiences (if that is what your looking for) Basically, you have to be flexible and available when they need someone. Ie the times not one else wants. Nites, weekends, holidays. ect...to get your foot in the door.

twelvetigers - thanks for your advice. I won't give-up.

LVT2DVM - thanks as well for your in-depth response and advice. The schools that I'm interested in doesn't mention anything about how old the pre-reqs should be. However, I will email/call them to verify this so I don't loose valuable time.