Vet Schools....impossible to get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supahfresh

un paradis du gangster
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know if anybody out there has some advice on how to get into vet school. My sister is hellbent on going, but she has a mediocre GPA and has been rejected for 3 years in row. In fact, I don't evem know if she has ever interviewed.

She has: good whatever scores (GRE?)
tons of experience working in vet hospitals

I think it's way more competitive than med school. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It might help her to get experience in areas she has not tried out before. If most of her experience is in small animal clinics, she might try volunteering at a farm/horse track/horse riding facility. If she has a university or biomedical research facility nearby, getting a part-time job in research can make her a unique applicant. Does she have time to take some classes? She won't be able to do much about her cumulative GPA, but doing well in a few classes after undergrad shows that you can do well, and some schools look at your last 30-45 credit hours in addition to your overall GPA, so taking more classes can help that particular GPA. Are her GRE scores competitive by vet school standards? Lots of vet schools say the easiest thing to help your application is to retake the GREs, and a really incredible GRE score (over 700s on verbal and math) will probably help balance out a mediocre GPA.

Does she have an in-state vet school? Everyone's best chance is their in state, but also keep in mind that many schools are starting to take more out of state applicants, so she might want to apply to several schools. There are also overseas schools, some that are AVMA accred. and some that are not. If overseas is an option, she should think about whether to apply to a school that is not-accred (she will have to take an extra test to work in the states and i think some schools also do their 4th year in the states) or an accred. one where she could come right back to the states to practice.

Has your sister talked to the admission committees at the schools she's applied to to see why they did not accept her? Many schools are willing to set up appointments and go over your app and tell you where your weaknesses are and what you need to work on.
It took the vet I work for 4 tries to get in. He had less than stellar grades from undergrad, so he went and got a Masters. That, along with his persistence showed them he was serious, and he eventually got in. And he is a great vet!
I have to echo KAstro's advice for your sister to explore her options (out of state schools, overseas, etc). If it's what she really wants to do, don't let her give up!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has she considered Ross U? They look for ways to get people into vet school, not keep them out. (Their words, not mine) This is my first time applying to Vet school and I applied to Ross. The only think is Ross is a trimester and located in the Caribbean so she'd have to take that into consideration.

Last I knew Ross (or St. George's) is not AVMA accredited which makes getting a job in the US after graduation a little more difficult and a lot more expensive. I could be wrong on this but it is worth looking into before committing to going to a foreign school. You are pretty much guaranteed admissions, but at what overall cost, I ask.

Some info about Ross (hopefully my future school!) :
How is Ross University accredited?

Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine is chartered by the country of St. Kitts and Nevis. The U.S. Department of Education has also certified Ross University eligible to participate in the Title IV Federal Loan programs. Students who qualify are eligible to receive U.S. student loans (like the Stafford loan) to cover their tuition and other educational expenses while attending. We also have affiliation agreements with nineteen of the twenty-six Schools of Veterinary Medicine located in the U.S. where Ross students spend their final three clinical semesters.

Are RUSVM graduates easily able to practice veterinary medicine in the United States?

Yes! The licensure requirements vary by State. Most States presently require Ross University graduates to meet the Educational Commission for Foreign Veterinary Graduates (ECFVG) requirements. These can be met in one of two ways; completion of an additional year at a U.S. accredited school of veterinary medicine or passing of a three-day test termed the Clinical Proficiency Examination (CPE). Three states (New York, Mississippi and Ohio) will license Ross Graduates without the ECFVG certificate. Several others will issue temporary license or permits that allow the graduate to practice while waiting to take the CPE. New rules presently being considered may improve the licensing situation on a national basis. Ross graduates have historically been very successful in meeting the requirements for licensing and over 1,300 graduates are now practicing veterinary medicine in the United States and in Canada.

"These can be met in one of two ways; completion of an additional year at a U.S. accredited school of veterinary medicine or passing of a three-day test termed the Clinical Proficiency Examination (CPE). "

I just want to add information that wasn't included in the prior post. If one chooses to do a clinical year at a US school, you have to pay tuition and fees to that school for that year and the CPE exam, last I heard, ran about $6-7,000. It's an expensive option either way.

I have a cousin working towards becoming a Vet. On average what are the stats for GPA, GRE scores, and applicants to acceptance ratios? Also, how many vet schools are there in the US? Is it necessary to complete some graduate class work to apply?

As you can see by my username I have no clue about the ins and outs of Vet medicince and getting into school.

Thank you in advance for your answers.