Vet tech to pharm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bayarea15

someday super vet
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I am pre vet, and work at an animal hosp. My coworker attended a vet tech program, and has worked at my hosp for a couple of yrs. She mentioned the other day that she wants to pursue a bachelors in pharmacology and possibly become a pharmacist someday. She had never heard of sdn but i told her I would post and see if anyone had any advice. Ucsf is about an hr away, and our animal hosp is located near touro, they have a pharm, pa, and do program I think.

She has a lot of exp working in our animal hosp pharmacy, would any of that count for her as exp hrs? I don't think her vet tech courses would transfer over since she went to western career college. She's 28 or 29, no kids and no serious bf so she's really ready to dive into school.

Is pharmacology a major? I always thought it was offered as a class/classes.

Thanks for your help!

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

If she visits the Official Pharmacy School Admissions Requirements link in my signature, she should have a pretty good idea as to what she's looking at when it comes to starting on the pharmacy path. Additionally, if she's interested in her local university, she should definitely check out their website.

As far as vet tech credits or experience transferring, I wouldn't expect it. For pharmacy, you typically need two years each of (majors') biology and chemistry courses with labs. The experience she has as a vet tech might be something unique to discuss during admissions interviews, and I personally would list it on my application, but I would not expect to receive any kind of formal credit for it.

I would also advise her to look around SDN for other threads regarding California pharmacy schools. Sounds like they're expensive, and internship hours can be a headache. I'm generalizing of course, but that's why she should poke around here for a while instead of taking my word for it. ;)

If she visits the Official Pharmacy School Admissions Requirements link in my signature, she should have a pretty good idea as to what she's looking at when it comes to starting on the pharmacy path. Additionally, if she's interested in her local university, she should definitely check out their website.

As far as vet tech credits or experience transferring, I wouldn't expect it. For pharmacy, you typically need two years each of (majors') biology and chemistry courses with labs. The experience she has as a vet tech might be something unique to discuss during admissions interviews, and I personally would list it on my application, but I would not expect to receive any kind of formal credit for it.

I would also advise her to look around SDN for other threads regarding California pharmacy schools. Sounds like they're expensive, and internship hours can be a headache. I'm generalizing of course, but that's why she should poke around here for a while instead of taking my word for it. ;)

Thanks!! Can't wait to show her at work manana, she will be excited I think. :) also have another co worker who wants to become a physical therapist. Sdn will be helpful :)

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile