Veterinary specialty residency app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moose124

Reaction score
Veterinary residencies: does it look bad on your residency application to have taken pass/fail electives?
ex. interested in ophthalmology residency but took a surgery elective P/F?

Members don't see this ad.

No. I mean if you failed it that wouldn’t look very good but as a reviewer, I have no interest to read every course someone took. There’s too many apps and not enough time. On the transcript I would check the GPA/class rank if available and see how they did in courses related to our specialty (meaning as a pathologist, I check your grade in gen path and clin path and maybe a path rotation). I couldn’t care less about minute details of whatever else you took. Experiences in the field and letters of rec are infinitely more important than that little spay neuter p/f elective that doesn’t even really relate to the specialty you are pursuing.

Reactions: 1 users
No. I mean if you failed it that wouldn’t look very good but as a reviewer, I have no interest to read every course someone took. There’s too many apps and not enough time. On the transcript I would check the GPA/class rank if available and see how they did in courses related to our specialty (meaning as a pathologist, I check your grade in gen path and clin path and maybe a path rotation). I couldn’t care less about minute details of whatever else you took. Experiences in the field and letters of rec are infinitely more important than that little spay neuter p/f elective that doesn’t even really relate to the specialty you are pursuing.
That makes sense. Thank you!