"Vets are too expensive, and it’s putting pets at risk"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Care credit is kind of a scam. If you don't pay it off within the first six months or whatever that is interest free, you owe a lot in interest. It is predatory at the very least

I agree. And their sales pitch happens when the customer is under emotional duress.

Members don't see this ad.

You know what's funny....I most often find it is the general public saying **** like that. Every single MD or DO I have ever interacted with has been immensely respectful upon learning that I'm a vet.
Yeah, my interactions with medical professionals and pre-professionals have generally been nice whenever it comes up that I'm pre-vet (or more recently that I'll be attending vet school in the fall). Some even quote the "Vet school is harder to get into than med school" thing, which always makes me slightly uncomfortable. But random people like my landlady's brother or my own aunt say things like "Wow, 4 years of school just to take care of animals?" or "Animals don't really need doctors."

You know what's funny....I most often find it is the general public saying **** like that. Every single MD or DO I have ever interacted with has been immensely respectful upon learning that I'm a vet.
Nurses are not, most of the time, in my experience. Though I have some great RN clients

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, my interactions with medical professionals and pre-professionals have generally been nice whenever it comes up that I'm pre-vet (or more recently that I'll be attending vet school in the fall). Some even quote the "Vet school is harder to get into than med school" thing, which always makes me slightly uncomfortable. But random people like my landlady's brother or my own aunt say things like "Wow, 4 years of school just to take care of animals?" or "Animals don't really need doctors."

Hehehehehe. I was on an ER externship and the doc introduced me as a fourth year student to a client and the guy said "Wow, 4 years to be a vet? You might as well be a doctor!"

Ahhhhahahahahaha. Kinda cracks me up.

Reactions: 1 user
Nurses are not, most of the time, in my experience. Though I have some great RN clients
I agree with this 100% and I've had more exposure to nurses than the average person thanks to a previous job. At the vet clinic where I currently work, we say that nurses and realtors are by far the most difficult clients.

I must say, it makes me a little angry that the ad at the top of this page says "canine acl tear? All surgeries for less than $1000!" glad Sen has such low standards for whom they will run ads for because they are so desperate for money...

I must say, it makes me a little angry that the ad at the top of this page says "canine acl tear? All surgeries for less than $1000!" glad Sen has such low standards for whom they will run ads for because they are so desperate for money...

Who is the ad for? A specific vet?

Mostly just sketchy, but still kind of irritating

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-29-19-53-42.png
    Screenshot_2015-04-29-19-53-42.png
    189.3 KB · Views: 72
Care credit is kind of a scam. If you don't pay it off within the first six months or whatever that is interest free, you owe a lot in interest. It is predatory at the very least
I don't see it as a problem as long as that is made clear to the client though. For the people who clearly aren't going to be able to afford that care, I'm pretty careful about offering carecredit. But it's a great option for people who say "do you guys have a payment plan? I don't have $1000 I can use now because I'm on a fixed income, but I can pay $200 per month."

I don't see it as a problem as long as that is made clear to the client though. For the people who clearly aren't going to be able to afford that care, I'm pretty careful about offering carecredit. But it's a great option for people who say "do you guys have a payment plan? I don't have $1000 I can use now because I'm on a fixed income, but I can pay $200 per month."
Oh for sure. It's great if the client really understands it. But it's typically presented during times of emotional distress. I'm not saying it's not an option in my clinic. I just don't like it and won't offer it unless there isn't another good option

That "LVT" is very naive. So much that I am doubting she is a LVT.... she seems to be very out of touch with just how much veterinary education costs.
honestly dont think AVMA helped anything, just opened up the can even further. people will believe and feel what they want to feel, no amount of arguing for our point will change that.

honestly dont think AVMA helped anything, just opened up the can even further. people will believe and feel what they want to feel, no amount of arguing for our point will change that.

I agree that people are going to believe what they want. Not sure the AVMA really helped in their response but that wasn't my point.

But that LVT, if she is one, is naive. That's all I was saying. I know, I shouldn't read the comments but I failed and read them anyway.

I agree that people are going to believe what they want. Not sure the AVMA really helped in their response but that wasn't my point.

But that LVT, if she is one, is naive. That's all I was saying. I know, I shouldn't read the comments but I failed and read them anyway.
oh i totally, agree - i wasnt actually addressing what i quoted (tired...)

she is naive, and if i found out a tech with that opinion was working for me she'd be gone. i dont want to work for someone who doesn't believe in what i'm doing.

Reactions: 1 user
oh i totally, agree - i wasnt actually addressing what i quoted (tired...)

she is naive, and if i found out a tech with that opinion was working for me she'd be gone. i dont want to work for someone who doesn't believe in what i'm doing.

Yup, I'd kick her out too.

I do agree that I don't think the AVMA really helped any. To be honest, I'm not sure why they even responded. We don't need to insta-reflex respond to every person that complains about vet prices like this.