Female Large Animal Vets- safety in regards to clients

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CarolCat12

Reaction score
Hello!

I’m interested in maybe going into large animal medicine, and I was wondering what safety for women vets was like in regards to safety against clients.

There have been several instances of clients attacking(physically and verbally)/ threatening vets in a traditional clinic setting, and I am just worried about what could happen if a vet is alone in a rural area, especially for a late night farm call.

Is this a reasonable worry? What have you all experienced?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

@MixedAnimals77

My best friend does rural mixed. She doesn’t do much on call now (just holidays) and most of her daily appointments are haul-in. I think it’s something you have to prepare for but I don’t think it’s common to have issues. When my friend was first starting her job and did more on-call, she took a self defense course, carried a pepper spray keychain and kept a gun locked in the vehicle (really intended for chemical-free euthanasias). For the really late night calls for people she didn’t know she’d make her husband get up and go with her. I don’t think she ever had any real issues though. Now after almost 8 years she knows the clients and doesn’t worry as much since they don’t do non-client emergencies and she has relationships with the people.

I think my friend actually dealt with more distrust in her abilities compared to her male boss and old farmers worrying she’d get hurt than true concerns for her physical safety. But she’s proven herself over the years and now they accept or even prefer her.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I interned with an equine vet for 3 years, and we only had one or two instances where we felt nervous about a client - not even actively unsafe, just nervous. We were with all kinds of clients, from typical rural farmers to high-strung show horse owners to racehorse trainers, and the vast majority were not only totally safe & respectful, but also lovely understanding people. I do know another vet who used to keep a capped syringe of sedative in her pocket when she got nervous, but she never had to use it and this was back in the way early 90s. I would just caution you to use your brain, trust your instincts, and keep your phone on you and charged (you can always call 911 even with no service).

Members don't see this ad :)
Good to know! Do most practices usually have 2 people assigned to farm visits? (I’m from Central KY, and the only large animal vets are equine from large hospitals with the funds/staff to send multiple ppl out)
If you did rural medicine, would it be a reasonable to tell employers at interviews etc that you won’t do late night farm calls solo for non established clients? I know people have mentioned that they bring their husband out with them, but if you’re a single person without that option, would this be a valid condition to make to an employer?

Last edited:
Good to know! Do most practices usually have 2 people assigned to farm visits? (I’m from Central KY, and the only large animal vets are equine from large hospitals with the funds/staff to send multiple ppl out)
I worked both in horse barns and for a mobile vet in Eastern Ma. Even though we were much more suburban than rural, no vet ever came to an emergency with another person. I only came out on emergencies as the sole assistant for my practice if we knew the client was totally incapable of holding the horses. This is one person's experience-- but I saw this at about 6 practices that serviced the various barns I worked at.

You can ask for anything, but it’s up to the practice what they are willing to do and it’s up to you whether you’ll make it a deal breaker or not. In my own experience working in rural clinics as a prevet and vet student (towns ranging from 800 to 12,000 people with a ~1hr service area 2+ hours from a major metro area) and from talking to my friend, call is usually shared equally among all the vets, so joining a larger practice may mean you’re on call less but the vets around here attend emergencies alone or you recruit your own help; it’s just not usually feasible for a clinic to pay a tech to be on call in addition to the vet (heck my friend doesn’t even have a consistent tech at all, it’s just the two vets, a receptionist, and a part time kid they call in when they really need help working calves). Often the only extra “pay” the large animal vet gets for call on top of the usual production is to keep the emergency fee, and they certainly aren’t going to want to split their $200 call fee (or whatever it is) with a tech. In my area, if you demanded someone go with you, quite frankly the small rural clinics wouldn’t be able to accomodate that. It’s already a difficult area of vet med to charge what we deserve, and doubling personnel costs for call makes an already poorly-performing service cost even less profitable. Plus then two staff members are tired the next day instead of just one. But it may be different in a different area, especially one that is a bit more affluent than rural Oklahoma.

Whether a clinic sees non-clients for emergencies is usually a clinic/ownership decision, not the decision of the associate.

On one hand, it’s an associates market right now so you can try to make whatever demands you want, but call is usually something that isn’t very flexible and it just a given/fact of life you have to deal with being a large animal practitioner. You definitely want to know their policies but I wouldn’t expect much negotiation power, especially not as a brand new, new grad hire. I was offered a mixed animal job before graduation with 50/50 on call and a salary that was almost half of what my small animal classmates were being offered. My friend split call 50/50 with her boss when she was hired too. She did eventually negotiate with him to drastically reduce her call once she had kids a couple years into her employment there. But she’d decided if he’d said no, she was gonna quit and switch to small animal because call wasn’t sustainable for her with her family. It became a deal breaker for her So he agreed because he needed to keep her as an associate. Not everyone will have that kind of negotiating power or be willing/able to do that.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tag @JaynaAli
I work rural mixed. We don't do call past 8pm, used to be on til 10pm but then we dropped a doctor and cut call. For singular animals if they can haul in we make them; things are almost always better on home turf. I'm in CO so every state has different labor laws so different feesabilities for what a practice can offer but we always have 1 tech on call with us that gets an ER fee if they come in so if I don't want to be alone I don't have to be. For me personally I've never really worried about that aspect and to be honest more of our "nervous" encounters have been with SA clients vs LA. We've had tweakers, drunks, people carrying guns, and just mentally unwell show up in our clinic during the day to the SA side. Has never been an issue for LA side. My husband is a cop for our town and i have martial arts training so it's not something I have ever really worried about and not something I ever really thought of before personally 🤷‍♀️ I can see where it would be something to think about, but if you just do your job and if you're ever in a hairy situation, the drugs are not worth your life.

Reactions: 3 users