Virginia License

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

narcusprince

Rough Rider
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was looking into getting my Virginia license so that I can moonlight in the state of VA. And I happened to notice that to get a VA license I have to be a part of the AMA. This struck me as odd because really I do not know what the AMA does for me and my interests. What is the point of registering with the AMA and is their any way to opt out?
PS I know this is not directly anesthesia related but I am interested in what my anesthesia colleagues think.

Members don't see this ad.

So I was looking into getting my Virginia license so that I can moonlight in the state of VA. And I happened to notice that to get a VA license I have to be a part of the AMA. This struck me as odd because really I do not know what the AMA does for me and my interests. What is the point of registering with the AMA and is their any way to opt out?
PS I know this is not directly anesthesia related but I am interested in what my anesthesia colleagues think.
Leave Virginia

You don't actually have to join the AMA, but you do have to pay get into their physician registry (which is free for members). I never joined, but paid for the registry part, and have had my license there for two years (renewing this year). Also, be aware that you will have to fill out either a waiver, or pay into the Virginia birth-related injury fund (about $300 yearly). If you only worked at your Navy hospital, you qualify for the waiverl; not sure about whether or not you have to pay if you moonlight.