Virginia Tech Carillon vs Drexel vs Rosalind Franklin (OPHTHALMOLOGY INTEREST)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eye_dontknow

Reaction score
Hello, I need help deciding between these three schools, with my prime interest being to match ophthalmology.

I feel like Virginia Tech carillon is a better school than Drexel and RFU due to its small class size, NBME exams, pass/fail curriculum, research integration, the fact that it has its own hospital, etc. However, if I am strictly interested in ophthalmology, would it be unwise to choose Virginia Tech over Drexel or Rosalind Franklin? Those two schools have ophthalmology departments, meanwhile Virginia tech does not, which limits access to research/LOR opportunities I believe.

Which of these schools would be best to attend to maximize chances of matching ophthalmology? how important is it to go to a school with a home department in the specialty of interest? and is it significant enough that I should choose Drexel or RFU even in light of their cons (no hospital, shaky reputations, etc.)

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
None of these three schools has a home ophthalmology residency program, so I would say to just choose the one you like the most.

However, RFU and Drexel’s proximity to so many other ophtho programs (Rush, Loyola, Cook Co, NW, UIC, UChicago vs UPenn, Jeff, and Temple) make them more appealing, especially if you are saying that VT doesn’t even give you the chance to rotate through a home department.

If it were me, I would choose RFU because there are so many attainable nearby options who will give you location bias for interviews (whereas UPenn and Jeff are some of the most selective programs in the country).

Reactions: 2 users
I'd choose Virginia Tech all the way. Great program for many of the reasons you state. Location bias for residency interviews exists with Virginia Tech too. Duke, UNC, Wake Forest, UVA, DC programs, Emory, Johns Hopkins, U. of Maryland, Vanderbilt, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
The real advantage would be an ophthalmology home program. In this situation I'd pick the school that sets you up best to be an overall competitive applicant (good research, STEP, good clinical skills), and I'd argue that's VTC for the above reasons.

You CAN rotate through ophtho at VTC as an elective (even though there is no department).*

The small class size means VTC goes to bat for its students. The school's match history proves it punches above its weight. Including the ophtho match at Emory last spring.

*Edited

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
If you add a poll for the three schools, I suspect VTC will win handily.
To the average SDNer, I think this would be true. But in the case of ophthalmology interest, Chicago is a massive hub for training. Only New York City has more programs in that small of an area. Could be very beneficial for networking with the 6 PDs there and getting research.

Meanwhile, Emory is more than 400 miles away from VTC. The closest program to VTC is Wake--over 100 miles away in another state.

But I'll reiterate, I am grasping at straws here to find a difference in these schools. Just go wherever you'll be happiest. I agree that VTC may be looked upon more favorably, but it's not the only factor at play.

Last edited:
Can probably consider other things like location as well. Roanoke is literally in the middle of nowhere and is basically a really small country town with nothing to do close by, even the undergrad campus is in a different city. As far as I know, I think Drexel and RFU are in bigger metropolitan cities. So, if you're somebody who likes to live in a city, go out, or explore food and stuff, then VTC might not be the best school. The class size is really small as well, with like only 45 students, which is great in terms of building relationships with professors, but might also be hard if you don't a good group of friends since there's nothing to do outside as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Can probably consider other things like location as well. Roanoke is literally in the middle of nowhere and is basically a really small country town with nothing to do close by, even the undergrad campus is in a different city. As far as I know, I think Drexel and RFU are in bigger metropolitan cities. So, if you're somebody who likes to live in a city, go out, or explore food and stuff, then VTC might not be the best school. The class size is really small as well, with like only 45 students, which is great in terms of building relationships with professors, but might also be hard if you don't a good group of friends since there's nothing to do outside as well.
Roanoke is a small city. It's certainly not Philly or Chicago but it's not a "really small country town" either. I think 100,000 in the city and maybe 250-300,000 in "metro" area. Easily the largest municipality in Southwest VA.

Roanoke is an interesting place if you're into outdoor stuff like mountain biking, hiking, etc. Literally like 15 minutes from the Appalachian Trail and practically on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It has a vibrant downtown, a number of craft breweries, some nice restaurants. The area is beautiful, the people are friendly, and the traffic is light. Getting through security at the airport (4-5 miles from downtown) is so easy you'll think you're dreaming.

The small class size is a huge benefit. Ease of getting mentors, research projects, shadowing opportunities, real hands-on experience during rotations, etc. VTC is a gem.

Getting to and from other places in the US is a challenge, since you have to take a connecting flight.

To the average SDNer, I think this would be true. But in the case of ophthalmology interest, Chicago is a massive hub for training. Only New York City has more programs in that small of an area. Could be very beneficial for networking with the 6 PDs there and getting research.

Meanwhile, Emory is more than 400 miles away from VTC. The closest program to VTC is Wake--over 100 miles away in another state.

But I'll reiterate, I am grasping at straws here to find a difference in these schools. Just go wherever you'll be happiest. I agree that VTC may be looked upon more favorably, but it's not the only factor at play.
Residency programs don't necessarily have to be close (mileage-wise) to a medical school to have a favorable location bias. In the case of VTC, the residency programs I listed (like Duke, UNC, Wake Forest, UVA, Emory, Johns Hopkins, U. of Maryland) are familiar with VTC and place graduates into their programs. Agree, Optho is a unique case and I have no insight there.

RFU is in North Chicago not Chicago. It’s a suburb of the big city. Yes Chicago is nearby, but it’s not like all the amenities of a big city are right there down the street.

RFU is in North Chicago not Chicago. It’s a suburb of the big city. Yes Chicago is nearby, but it’s not like all the amenities of a big city are right there down the street.
+1. Exactly right, located not on the north side of the city of Chicago but rather in the suburban town of North Chicago. About 45-60 minutes north of downtown Chicago. Easy to get fooled.

Residency programs don't necessarily have to be close (mileage-wise) to a medical school to have a favorable location bias. In the case of VTC, the residency programs I listed (like Duke, UNC, Wake Forest, UVA, Emory, Johns Hopkins, U. of Maryland) are familiar with VTC and place graduates into their programs. Agree, Optho is a unique case and I have no insight there.

Dude location bias is a side note. I’m talking about networking with PDs and research departments, which is not a problem from Chicago suburbs to Chicago.

But if we are diving into location bias, you can’t mention all the states near VA without mentioning all the states near IL and their many outstanding programs (WI, MI, IN, MO, OH, MN, IA).

Not to mention I attend one of the schools you listed and have literally never worked with or even met a resident from VTC (after a full year’s worth of rotations). Definitely none in our ophtho department.

Dude location bias is a side note. I’m talking about networking with PDs and research departments, which is not a problem from Chicago suburbs to Chicago.

But if we are diving into location bias, you can’t mention all the states near VA without mentioning all the states near IL and their many outstanding programs (WI, MI, IN, MO, OH, MN, IA).

Not to mention I attend one of the schools you listed and have literally never worked with or even met a resident from VTC (after a full year’s worth of rotations). Definitely none in our ophtho department.
Peace. Yeah, VTC is a small program. Not surprised you haven't encountered VTC grads but they're out there.

WRT location bias, your point is what I was getting at....you're not limited to being in the same city. I wasn't downplaying RFU as much as pointing out VTC garners some location bias too.

IMO, VTC is best choice if OP isn't completely sold on Optho.

Those two schools have ophthalmology departments,
Are you sure about that?

Edit: RFU has an ophthalmology discipline of six physicians within its surgery faculty, but not an ophthalmology department as one would traditionally define it. Since RFU is not part of a healthcare system, it relies on a network of affiliates to provide clinical education for its students. Some of the physicians in those affiliates take on teaching roles and become RFU faculty.

I believe Drexel had a real ophthalmology department at one time, but the closure of Hahnemann Hospital finalized the school's migration to a clinical training model similar to RFU's, relocating its students and trainees to a network of partners that are mostly in PA.

You can match ophtho from all three schools. In making your decision I would focus on other factors. I mean, VTC would be a very different experience than the other two.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users