Visine

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zoralsurgeon

noegruslaroz
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys -

So this may sound dumb - im goin to dental school though, not optometry, haha - so cut me some slack!!

I find myself using generic Visine daily..every morning...For some reason, I think that this may be bad...but each day it cleans my eyes out, rids the redness, and further moistens them (i have bad allergies)...so the antihistamine is wonderful.

Is this OKAY or dangerous? Why?

Please let me know your opinions, and please realize that this may be a totally dumb question to all of you - but I'm going to be an oral surgeon, not an optometrist! lol!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys -

So this may sound dumb - im goin to dental school though, not optometry, haha - so cut me some slack!!

I find myself using generic Visine daily..every morning...For some reason, I think that this may be bad...but each day it cleans my eyes out, rids the redness, and further moistens them (i have bad allergies)...so the antihistamine is wonderful.

Please let me know your opinions, and please realize that this may be a totally dumb question to all of you - but I'm going to be an oral surgeon, not an optometrist! lol!

Okay, so you should know, per SDN policy, no medical adivice on these forums.

That said, Visine isn't really that bad, but its a vasoconstrictor and you get all the not so wonderful associated with that a la rebound redness (just like nasal/cold medications - its practically the same drug). If you use this product more than a week your eyes will become used to it and get even redder when they don't get their visine.

sounds like you'd be better off just using an artificial tear.

I wouldn't be as favorable to chronic visine usage as jefguth.

It isn't the antihistamine you should be afraid of, it's the vasoconstrictor (as jefguth said, it's naphazoline probably). Your eye vessels will get used to being constricted, so when you stop using it, they rebound and become super dilated. In the long run, the regular dose of visine "stops working" then you have to use more just to get the same effect. Long term: chronically red eyes.

Use artifical tears without a vasoconstrictor, or try something with a mast cell stabilizer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do the same thing each morning. One drop of Visine per eye when I wake up. It works so well I think I may start drinking it by the gallon.

lol. you are quite clever. funny too, eh!

Hey guys! thanks for your messages. for the record, i'm now using artificial tears, a simple lubricant. THANKS!!!

Okay, so you should know, per SDN policy, no medical adivice on these forums.

That said, Visine isn't really that bad, but its a vasoconstrictor and you get all the not so wonderful associated with that a la rebound redness (just like nasal/cold medications - its practically the same drug). If you use this product more than a week your eyes will become used to it and get even redder when they don't get their visine.

sounds like you'd be better off just using an artificial tear.
hi jefguth , how do i get in touch with you apart from this forum ? i practise in Qatar currently with an O.D degree , i need your wisdom regarding certain issues at the moment

Hey guys -

I say this respectfully: This board is not intended to be used as a means of seeking clinical advice.

Nevertheless..., for chronic use, I'd suggest artificial tears (e.g., carboxymethylcellulose) rather than tetrahydrozoline.