Visiting Lab Tomorrow for First Time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lancer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering what I should wear to the lab and/or be prepared for? I wasn't told that I was being interviewed, just that I should visit the lab and meet the people.

From looking at other threads, I should wear khakis and a button down shirt? But would sneakers be okay? I can't imagine wearing dress shoes in a lab, but maybe that's just me.

Any help would be appreciated about what I should wear, and what I should be prepared for! (It's just a basic lab tech job that I'll be doing for a few hours every week as an undergrad)

Members don't see this ad.

If it's not an interview, then I wouldn't dress up. Just wear your normal clothes. I would be familiar with the lab's research though - check the faculty member's info online (probably listed on the department's website and/or his personal page) and see what is research interests are and look over his latest papers (if applicable). You don't need to understand every last detail, but know the basics and perhaps some of the techniques used, which would be especially pertinent if you're a tech.

I'm wondering what I should wear to the lab and/or be prepared for? I wasn't told that I was being interviewed, just that I should visit the lab and meet the people.

From looking at other threads, I should wear khakis and a button down shirt? But would sneakers be okay? I can't imagine wearing dress shoes in a lab, but maybe that's just me.

Any help would be appreciated about what I should wear, and what I should be prepared for! (It's just a basic lab tech job that I'll be doing for a few hours every week as an undergrad)

Business casual sounds appropriate in this context. Even if this isn't an interview, you should still dress to look as though you're taking the visit seriously, but not so much that you appear on your way to a wedding. If you have a nice pair of sneakers that would probably be okay...I'd say that as long as your shoes are close-toed you're fine.

Regarding other things to prepare for...if its just a visit, probably not too much. Make sure you pay attention to the setting of the lab to see if you'd fit in, and definitely talk to people (if you have the chance to) to see if they enjoy working there/ what to look out for/ etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Business casual sounds appropriate in this context. Even if this isn't an interview, you should still dress to look as though you're taking the visit seriously, but not so much that you appear on your way to a wedding. If you have a nice pair of sneakers that would probably be okay...I'd say that as long as your shoes are close-toed you're fine.

Regarding other things to prepare for...if its just a visit, probably not too much. Make sure you pay attention to the setting of the lab to see if you'd fit in, and definitely talk to people (if you have the chance to) to see if they enjoy working there/ what to look out for/ etc.

:thumbup: A polo and some slacks might do.

:thumbup: A polo and some slacks might do.

Was thinking about this, but I only have a polo t-shirt, no polo long sleeve. Perhaps a plain long shirt and khakis would work?

Was thinking about this, but I only have a polo t-shirt, no polo long sleeve. Perhaps a plain long shirt and khakis would work?

As long as it isn't a Tap Out shirt or something ridiculous like that. Then again, you can always run out to Walmart for a shirt. I'm sure they have a basic polo for $5-10.

Some jeans and a button up will be just fine. Slacks and a dress shirt will make you look like a bit of a douche (possibly a major douche) compared to the grad students.