Voice Recording and ADA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulSlav

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading a syllabus for one of my classes and the professor won't allow voice recording. It just so happens that I need to hear the lectures again (I tend to miss a lot of information). If I ask politely and he doesn't permit it, could I go to the ADA office and say that I need it?

Members don't see this ad.

Does he not post lectures online?? o_O

Edit - Sorry, I thought I was in the allo forum. Yeah I'd go to the ADA office were I you, but he's not going to like it.

Not unless you have a medically verified hearing loss.

The ADA doesn't cover poor note taking.

I was reading a syllabus for one of my classes and the professor won't allow voice recording. It just so happens that I need to hear the lectures again (I tend to miss a lot of information). If I ask politely and he doesn't permit it, could I go to the ADA office and say that I need it?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't have a disability, the ADA office most likely won't help you. You're not always going to be able to hear things multiple times. I understand that it might be what you're used to or what works best for you, but at some point it's not practical anymore.

Reactions: 1 user
saulgoodman.jpg

Why don't you go to your accommodations office (ADA office) and get approval for the voice recording? He's is pretty much required to allow you the accommodation. He can't do anything about it, if it is within the realm of reason.

EDIT: This is only if you have a learning disability

If you don't have a disability, the ADA office most likely won't help you. You're not always going to be able to hear things multiple times. I understand that it might be what you're used to or what works best for you, but at some point it's not practical anymore.

What's not practical?

I'm not sure about ADA laws regarding lecture recording, but my school allows students to request a peer note taker for a course. You would be able to get copies of another students' notes to fill in any missing information you have.

Reactions: 1 user
You probably should go to your school's ADA office, assuming you actually have a diagnosed learning disability, which you have not yet made clear in this thread. You should see what services/accommodations they have to help you (my school also has a note-taking service for the learning disabled).

If you don't have a learning disability (and haven't been tested for one), you should make friends who take better notes than you. ;)

Is learning in a more efficient way considered a learning disability (like visual vs audio)? Like if I can hear a voice from my phone or whatever while I'm studying, the material really sticks. I was diagnosed with LD for math and lost it in high school. This class is zoology.

You probably won't get an accommodation unless you have recent testing that shows you need it for a disability. Learning preferences mean very little, since we all have strengths and weaknesses. If your weaknesses cross the line to being an actual disability, then you might be able to get an accommodation. Getting testing for an LD is very expensive, but if you talk to the LD office at your school, they might have some sort of reduced price testing options for you to get tested again (I think my college had this).

Otherwise, you'll just need to learn to take better notes or share notes with people who take better notes. I've found that I take better notes when I've done the reading ahead of time. It helps because you already know a lot of the main points the professor is getting at, and you know what you need to be writing down. I used to write down all these unimportant 'facts' that were already in the book. I've learned to just write down the main points and summarizing parts of the lecture that aren't necessarily in the book or may help you later when studying.

Then, instead of going back through all the lectures later, you could combine what's in the book with your lecture notes.

No. But your school should have a learning or education center, and they can help you with learning styles.

Is learning in a more efficient way considered a learning disability (like visual vs audio)? Like if I can hear a voice from my phone or whatever while I'm studying, the material really sticks. I was diagnosed with LD for math and lost it in high school. This class is zoology.

Reactions: 2 users
What's not practical?

In med school, you will not have time to listen to lectures 2+ times. Believe me, I tried it for all of anatomy, and the amount of time I spent studying was unhealthy and unsustainable. Better to train yourself now than to get to medial school and realize your study methods are not going to work.

If you have an iPhone just sneak and use it. Also I purchased this book from amazon called how to get str8 A's. There note taking chptr is really helpful to me.

If you have an iPhone just sneak and use it. Also I purchased this book from amazon called how to get str8 A's. There note taking chptr is really helpful to me.

I would strongly advise against illegally recording without permission, even if you can easily conceal it. That's academic dishonesty and that can be a death sentence to an application if you are caught by your prof or a ratting classmate.