Voiding vs no show

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doe22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have read many conflicting things regarding this, online. I am scheduled to take the MCAT in 6 days, but my recent FL score (combined with anxiety) tell me to void/no show. I'm mostly concerned that med schools will look at this attempt unfavorably (since they can access AAMC portal and see attempts). A second concern is the number of times I rescheduled the test. If med schools can see the void, will they also see how many times I rescheduled?

Question #2: which is better in my case, void or no show?

Members don't see this ad.

So, I have read many conflicting things regarding this, online. I am scheduled to take the MCAT in 6 days, but my recent FL score (combined with anxiety) tell me to void/no show. I'm mostly concerned that med schools will look at this attempt unfavorably (since they can access AAMC portal and see attempts). A second concern is the number of times I rescheduled the test. If med schools can see the void, will they also see how many times I rescheduled?

You are totally misunderstanding, and are worrying about nothing!

AAMC sees everything, but schools see nothing other than scored exams. As a result, you are confusing the fact that both no shows and voids will count against your annual and lifetime testing limits with schools knowing about either. They won't. If schools could see a void, there would be no reason to do it, since they'd already assume the worst.

Bottom line -- you are totally fine. Schools cannot see voids, no shows, or how many times you reschedule a test. They only see scored exams. Since you paid and cannot get your money back, I'd consider taking the exam as practice and void.

There are, however, two problems with this. #1 - you will not have an opportunity to go over the exam and learn from your mistakes. #2 - you might be tempted to not void if you think it went well. This could blow up in your face. If you can deal with these two negatives, there might be value to taking and voiding. Otherwise, just no show. There is absolutely no difference with respect to what schools will be able to see. It's nothing in either case. Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 users
Med schools do NOT look for this! Only your scores.

As the temptation to have the exam scored once you take it and you feel too confident is too great, just don't show up.

And never go in for the sunk cost fallacy.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

You are totally misunderstanding, and are worrying about nothing!

AAMC sees everything, but schools see nothing other than scored exams. As a result, you are confusing the fact that both no shows and voids will count against your annual and lifetime testing limits with schools knowing about either. They won't. If schools could see a void, there would be no reason to do it, since they'd already assume the worst.

Bottom line -- you are totally fine. Schools cannot see voids, no shows, or how many times you reschedule a test. They only see scored exams. Since you paid and cannot get your money back, I'd consider taking the exam as practice and void.

There are, however, two problems with this. #1 - you will not have an opportunity to go over the exam and learn from your mistakes. #2 - you might be tempted to not void if you think it went well. This could blow up in your face. If you can deal with these two negatives, there might be value to taking and voiding. Otherwise, just no show. There is absolutely no difference with respect to what schools will be able to see. It's nothing in either case. Good luck!!
This is reassuring. I was specially concerned with the number of time I rescheduled the test (almost 7 times). Also, was worried a void/no show will make it look ever worse. My plan now is to no show and reschedule to mid May.

Last edited by a moderator:

As the temptation to have the exam scored once you take it and you feel too confident is too great, just don't show up.

And never go in for the sunk cost fallacy
I believe if I would take it just to void it, I would be more than tempted to score it. So, I believe a not showing is a more wise decision.

And never go in for the sunk cost fallacy.
I will be an advocate for the no-show option. I went in with the intention to void thinking I would at least get practice out of it. I fell into the temptation of possibly being done with MCAT studying and clicked the "score my exam" button.

Sure enough, when I got my score report back my FLs did not lie. So, I put in the hours for my second attempt and increased my score by 10 points. While I bounded back alright and was admitted to one of my top-choice MD programs, I really wish schools wouldn't have had access to that first score.

I will be an advocate for the no-show option. I went in with the intention to void thinking I would at least get practice out of it. I fell into the temptation of possibly being done with MCAT studying and clicked the "score my exam" button.

Sure enough, when I got my score report back my FLs did not lie. So, I put in the hours for my second attempt and increased my score by 10 points. While I bounded back alright and was admitted to one of my top-choice MD programs, I really wish schools wouldn't have had access to that first score.
Alas, the MCAT is as much an assessment of good judgement as it is of competency

This is reassuring. I was specially concerned with the number of time I rescheduled the test (almost 7 times). Also, was worried a void/no show will make it look ever worse. My plan now is to no show and reschedule to mid May.
As long as you don’t plan to take the test, why not cancel your date now?
What are you going to to do differently between now and May to head off another cancellation?

As long as you don’t plan to take the test, why not cancel your date now?
What are you going to to do differently between now and May to head off another cancellation?
Within 10 days of the test date, the system does not allow you to do anything other than show or no show (i.e., no changes at all, including cancellations, within 10 days)!

My problem was dropping from 513 to 504 on AAMC FLs, HUGE drop in CARS. I basically got a 121. I also want to avoid a retake as much as possible. I hate the fact that I had to make multiple cancellations and reschedule many times (mostly because I was scheduling the test before I started studying).

I think you might as well take it and void. Practice run to get a good idea regarding test conditions

My problem was dropping from 513 to 504 on AAMC FLs, HUGE drop in CARS. I basically got a 121. I also want to avoid a retake as much as possible. I hate the fact that I had to make multiple cancellations and reschedule many times (mostly because I was scheduling the test before I started studying).
Similar thing happened to me. I scored a 514 on my 3rd FL and then a 506 on my 4th. That’s when I did the whole plan to void but actually scored it thing.

If you want to postpone your test make sure you give yourself enough time to actually improve and score consistently. I think a big part of the reason that I was successful after retaking was that my tests were spaced about by about 9 months (I took some time off of studying and started working a clinical job). I needed to regroup and along the lines of what @Goro said, spend some time figuring out why I exhibited poor judgement. May isn’t very long from now, and you need assess if you will actually be ready to sit for the exam at that point imo.

• Love

Only your recent FL is poor? Are previous FL scores up to your standards?

Members don't see this ad :)
Similar thing happened to me. I scored a 514 on my 3rd FL and then a 506 on my 4th. That’s when I did the whole plan to void but actually scored it thing.

If you want to postpone your test make sure you give yourself enough time to actually improve and score consistently. I think a big part of the reason that I was successful after retaking was that my tests were spaced about by about 9 months (I took some time off of studying and started working a clinical job). I needed to regroup and along the lines of what @Goro said, spend some time figuring out why I exhibited poor judgement. May isn’t very long from now, and you need assess if you will actually be ready to sit for the exam at that point imo.
At this point, I'm aiming for a 507-510. I have already taken two gap years to volunteer and scribe. So, another year is not plausible. My problem is that I'm too burnt out to study and need at least 1 day to relax before taking the test.

Honestly, the 513 is the outlier in this case. If you think you’ll be tempted to score it, then just no-show.

I still think it’s better to get a practice run but beware. A lot of people think they did much better than they actually end doing.

Honestly, the 513 is the outlier in this case. If you think you’ll be tempted to score it, then just no-show.

I still think it’s better to get a practice run but beware. A lot of people think they did much better than they actually end doing.
Yep. I know that I will be more than tempted to score it. Even though when I took my last FL, I was not feeling well (physically and mentally). I zoned out during CARS, which I usually do well on. If I scored my average on CARS, I would have gotten a 510. The drop was devastating that I could not study for the next two days. The exam was in 10 days and I had to work 3 days a week. It was too much to handle. I don't want to blow up the test just because I want so badly to be done with it. My friends and family tell me to just take and be done with it. But I keep asking myself if I want to "just be done" or if I want a decent score? The truth is I want both. The only to do this is to not go and take it in May.

I voided my test 3 times before finally scoring on the 4th try.
It's ok to void. The LAST thing you want is a single bad score on your record. Then you could be screwed.

I voided my test 3 times before finally scoring on the 4th try.
It's ok to void. The LAST thing you want is a single bad score on your record. Then you could be screwed.
So true! This makes me feel better about not showing lol. I also have two gap years already and I'm 26! I don't think I could ever postpone applying to next year.

I thought voiding counts against lifetime testing limits.

Is it really that big a deal to retake? I thought it's fine as long as you're not scoring lower
The problem with retakes IS scoring lower.
If that happens, you're royally screwed or at least damaged even if you go from a 515->510..
If you go from like a 508 -> 505, that's so bad.
If you go from a 505 -> 500, hurts bbaaaad.
505 -> <500 = DEAD.

You really want 1 score the score that will get MD.
Otherwise if you're in the range below MD, then retaking it won't help much with DO unless you're trying to retake a sub-500. Then you should retake, and if you score another sub-500, your Med Career is over.

• Love