Volunteer but dispensing drugs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JumboShrimp

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it illegal to fill prescriptions without a pharmacy technician license? I volunteer at a pharmacy(independent pharmacy) and the pharmacist lets me dispense and label the prescriptions. I'm asking because I don't want to go into pharm school interviews mentioning what I did at the pharmacy and getting in trouble for it. I live in CA by the way if that makes a difference

Members don't see this ad.

that's interesting, I worked at a pharmacy in CA and they only let techs fill certain medications. Also even the technicians can't handle some of the controlled drugs (hence, the pharmacists handle them).. that's really weird.. I would not mention that during your interview, sounds kinda shady...

Talk about everything else you do and what you have learned.

Members don't see this ad :)
that's interesting, I worked at a pharmacy in CA and they only let techs fill certain medications. Also even the technicians can't handle some of the controlled drugs (hence, the pharmacists handle them).. that's really weird.. I would not mention that during your interview, sounds kinda shady...

I know, freaked me out at first when he said he trusts me well enough to do it :scared:...I guess i'll just get my pharm tech license so I can mention it during interviews.

I know, freaked me out at first when he said he trusts me well enough to do it :scared:...I guess i'll just get my pharm tech license so I can mention it during interviews.

I think that is the best idea.

One pharmacist for whom I volunteered was quite adamant that you need your tech license to count pills. Having said that, he was open to letting me do it under the table even before I showed him my license.

6th year intern <=> sixth year of college/fourth year of pharmacy school (at least this is how companies and Mercer in its compensation survey define it)

The "problem" is with 0-6 students not familiar with the terminology (not that it really matters... accelerated programs go only to P3 right?) or delusional enough to think their pre-professional years actually count as pharmacy school.

6th year intern <=> sixth year of college/fourth year of pharmacy school (at least this is how companies and Mercer in its compensation survey define it)

The "problem" is with 0-6 students not familiar with the terminology (not that it really matters... accelerated programs go only to P3 right?) or delusional enough to think their pre-professional years actually count as pharmacy school.

Accelerated programs go up to P3. I did, however, read somewhere that in the 0+6 programs, they go from P1-P6. I could be mistaken though.

Use of "PY" (professional year) does eliminate the ambiguity. Here (I can't speak for other 0-6 programs) they just say "3rd year," "4th year," etc. and faculty might use PY1, PY2... for meeting abstracts and journal articles.