volunteer/clinical opportunities tailored to non-trad with tech/engineering background

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medfromeng

Reaction score
I'm starting my pre-med postbac this fall, after a decade working as a software engineer. IE very far on the spectrum of non-trad :eek: My background is in IOT/embedded, and I'm very interested in the application of such to improve patient outcomes, especially where access & connectivity are poor (my state, Idaho, is quite rural, and near dead-last in the nation in many metrics here).

I've quit my job and have about 6 months
("Do, or Do Not", right?) before full-time classes start - I will be devoting this time to significant volunteer/clinical, and am open to research if it's the right opportunity. TBC I do plan to pursue at least some MA / scribe work, as I understand it this is would be very valuable for me; but I am also looking for opportunities tailored to my unique experience.

Do you have any suggestions I could start researching that would put me in a position to contribute in additional ways, and would help me explore concrete options / validate my path for how technology can be harnessed beyond what's in use today?

For reference, while obviously things change a lot as one goes through school and rotations, as it stands I am interested in a generalist field, working as pcp or possibly hospitalist, and hope to do either full- or part-time in central (rural) Idaho. This is an area where telemedicine is an especially Big Deal, but there are SO many more ways we can use accessible tech to improve doctor awareness & touch points to affect patient health. IMHO :)

Members don't see this ad.

The best starting point i can think of... start reading and watching:
Cool, this looks useful, thanks!

TIL, and noting mainly as a search hook for others from my past domain trying to translate: "RPM" = remote physiologic monitoring" https://www.aamc.org/media/55306/download?attachment one relevant service is - IE collecting telemetry, an IOT & wearables heavy application.

Reactions: 1 user