Volunteer Ideas for Future MSW Student NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nathianander

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what volunteer opportunities exist that the forum users would recommend for someone applying to a MSW degree program with an emphasis on clinical work in the New York City area.

Doing intake assessment would be ideal but I'm unsure where would be a good place to start looking. I'm currently volunteering with a crisis call center for the LGBTQ community as a councilor but would like something else to help with my application, ie: experience and letters of reference.

I'm 37 and currently work full-time with a background in arts administration so I'm somewhat limited time-wise and career-wise.

Many thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering what volunteer opportunities exist that the forum users would recommend for someone applying to a MSW degree program with an emphasis on clinical work in the New York City area.

Doing intake assessment would be ideal but I'm unsure where would be a good place to start looking. I'm currently volunteering with a crisis call center for the LGBTQ community as a councilor but would like something else to help with my application, ie: experience and letters of reference.

I'm 37 and currently work full-time with a background in arts administration so I'm somewhat limited time-wise and career-wise.

Many thanks!

Domestic violence and sexual assault organizations often seek people with weekend and evening availability.

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely understand your struggle. I had a very difficult time this summer finding a Social Work internship (I'm still an undergrad and I'm majoring in Human Services, so I'm not a BSW student). Most of the places I was looking at would only take on interns who were already in an MSW program. Which wasn't very helpful considering I was looking for something that would help me get into an MSW program. With volunteering it might be a little different, but what helped me was looking for organizations that worked with the type of population that I wanted to work with (in my case Early Childhood) and see what opportunities are available there. You might not being doing work that is 100% related to Social Work, but it would show that you are committed to helping a particular population. I hope this helped!

Would any of you say that volunteering is crucial to getting into an MSW program? I just heard this for the first time a couple of weeks ago.

I have a ton of volunteer history in my past, but none recent. I have been focusing more on research. Honors undergrad research and research team for 3 semesters.

I know it won't hurt to volunteer, but I'd rather spend time on my honors project right now. Will generic volunteerism suffice (working in a food bank) or should I find a specific population?

Would any of you say that volunteering is crucial to getting into an MSW program? I just heard this for the first time a couple of weeks ago.

I have a ton of volunteer history in my past, but none recent. I have been focusing more on research. Honors undergrad research and research team for 3 semesters.

I know it won't hurt to volunteer, but I'd rather spend time on my honors project right now. Will generic volunteerism suffice (working in a food bank) or should I find a specific population?

I think that advice is meant more for career-changers and people who have little coursework or experience in social work and related fields. I wouldn't say that it's crucial. If you have a history of volunteer or paid work in the field, I don't think focusing on your research would hurt your chances.

I think that advice is meant more for career-changers and people who have little coursework or experience in social work and related fields. I wouldn't say that it's crucial. If you have a history of volunteer or paid work in the field, I don't think focusing on your research would hurt your chances.

+1
If your GPA is reasonable you'll be fine.

Honestly, maybe admissions have gotten more stringent or programs more competitive in the years since I was admitted to an MSW program. But at the time it sure seemed to me that my program let in anyone with a wallet (or the ability to secure student loans). Ability to reason or write coherently certainly weren't definitive screening criteria. And I don't think everyone had volunteer experience either. If you actually understand the research process you will be way, way ahead of the pack.

Because of the current economic climate there are many more applicants to all grad programs in general. None more so than MSW programs in NYC which are the most competive. As a career changer without a background in social service, volunteer work is necessary to even be considered. An analogy would be like applying to an art school without a portfolio.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone I really appreciate it!

Have you thought about taking non-matric courses in social work or psychology for additional experience? A few colleges offer these, Hunter among them.