Volunteer position worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Youngm2194

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I found out I can volunteer at Yale-New Haven today. The type of volunteering is with older people who have delirium/dementia. According to the info sheet it is categorized as "patient intensive volunteering." It all sounds good, but I found out the volunteering is required once a week, and I go to school 70mi away. The other hospitals near me sill haven't gotten back to me, so that's why I went to the interview. What are your opinions on this? Is this opportunity worth the time and gas money since I haven't had any prior volunteer/clinical experience in a hospital setting?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I'd try to find somewhere closer to your school. 70 miles is like a 1.5 hour commute each way...which will definitely add up. You're arguably going to spend more time driving than volunteering. Ain't nobody got time for that! Find a nice place more convenient for you. Although the experience does sound pretty cool...it'd totally suck if you ended up not enjoying it.

Good luck!

I think it's worth it. I had a hospital internship that required me to drive 1-1.5 hours each way in traffic for my shifts. I didn't have opportunities nearby but took this opportunity and definitely enjoyed it! You won't know if you will enjoy it or not until you give it a shot and it is only once a week. Not too bad. Plus, currently there isn't another opportunity you have on hand or secured. If you did, I would factor in the time a bit more. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I found out I can volunteer at Yale-New Haven today. The type of volunteering is with older people who have delirium/dementia. According to the info sheet it is categorized as "patient intensive volunteering." It all sounds good, but I found out the volunteering is required once a week, and I go to school 70mi away. The other hospitals near me sill haven't gotten back to me, so that's why I went to the interview. What are your opinions on this? Is this opportunity worth the time and gas money since I haven't had any prior volunteer/clinical experience in a hospital setting?

Thank you
Do you really wan to volunteer for them? IMHO I think it is not worth it. I have had patients with dementia and blessed their hearts, but sometimes it gets a little stressful with them. Hopefully is not a position that you basically have to change diapers or feed them. Again, I wouldn't do it because that's not my cup of protein shake.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like part of the appeal of this place is the name it has attached to it. Which is fair I guess since you might meet some people that can open a door for you, but personally I would find another aspect of your life to invest your time in during this lull where you have no other opportunities available to volunteer. This is under the assumption that you are not applying this cycle. Descriptions that jobs post are not always (if ever) entirely accurate, and a 140 mile drive really is a long one. Other, more viable opportunities will likely present themselves, and more often than not, volunteer experiences do not require prior experience (you're not being paid, after all).