Volunteering in a Peer-Health type group vs. Food Pantry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optimisticallypassingorgo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be better to volunteer in a peer-health type organization (which is very much smaller than peer health, and for which I may not have the opportunity to teach) or to volunteer at a local food pantry?

Piggybacking on this question... I don't have many ECs. I have done a year of research (w/ 1 pub and a poster/presentation coming up), I TA at a Sunday school (6 hrs a week), and I volunteer at a hospital (4 hrs a week).

What type of volunteering would help my app? What else can I do?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Would it be better to volunteer in a peer-health type organization (which is very much smaller than peer health, and for which I may not have the opportunity to teach) or to volunteer at a local food pantry?

Piggybacking on this question... I don't have many ECs. I have done a year of research (w/ 1 pub and a poster/presentation coming up), I TA at a Sunday school (6 hrs a week), and I volunteer at a hospital (4 hrs a week).

What type of volunteering would help my app? What else can I do?

Thanks in advance!
Six hours/week at Sunday school is a huge commitment. I guess if it is important to you, it would be okay to continue but I'm just surprised that it takes that much time.

Aside from the hospital, do you have any opportunity to come face to face with people who are different than yourself and who are in need? Whichever of the two opportunities provides more time in face-to-face service to the needy would be best, IMHO.

Reactions: 1 users
Forgot to say its actually down to 3 hrs a week this semester (due to studying for the (MCAT). In addition to TAing, I also do teach religious studies/history. However, I'm worried that may be looked upon unfavorably by some people, so I am debating whether to include it or not.

The peer-health club is to help inner city middle school children (in a relatively large city), so I feel that would be an amazing opportunity. I am just worried about it not taking off.

Other than that no. I am, however, applying for a leadership position in the Amnesty International club at my school, where I hope I will have more opportunities to help the needy.

Thanks for the advice! Here and elsewhere on sdn.

Members don't see this ad :)