Volunteering In NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjjrt5544

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a college freshman looking to volunteer this summer at an NYC hospital. I have sent applications to the NYP hospitals and Sloan Kettering so far. I am posting to ask how long it takes for these hospitals to respond with something (I sent my applications in a couple weeks ago - deadline is in late March for NYP hospitals).

Also, how difficult is it to get a position volunteering at these hospitals in general?

Are there any other programs in Manhattan/Brooklyn that I should consider for volunteering? (I would like to be in Manhattan for convenience)

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm.

NYU (Langone / Bellevue) and Beth Isreal and Mount Sinai are in Lower Manhattan.
Hofstra/North Shore-LIJ owns two hospitals on the UES (Lennox Hill + MEETH).
If you like orthopedics / MSK, don't forget Hospital for Special Surgery.

Take your pick.

If I were you OP I would look at all the medical schools in NYC metropolitan area and see if they have any programs for volunteering. Also, looking through the medical school hospitals and their affiliates will basically cover everything in NY. Good luck with your volunteering!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard people have positive experiences with NYP, Mt. Sinai and Lenox Hill.

I forgot Sloan Kettering too, which is a pretty unique and cool institution.