Volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daneosaurus

D4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to apply this coming cycle, and I have yet to volunteer. Honestly, how important is this "requirement"? It's not that I don't want to volunteer, I literally have zero time for it. I am Marine veteran nontrad. Between work, school, raising 2 children (one stays at home, the other is in Kindergarten), maintaining a marriage (with wife who is also full time undergrad), there is no time left over. I have shadowed, but that was a serious struggle to fit in (shadowed physicians, originally - realized I have no desire to be one). Is there some threshold where grades and/or DAT would compensate for 0 volunteering hours?

Members don't see this ad.

There's no threshold for GPA/DAT to compensate for no volunteering, but I feel there definitely is when it comes to non-trad applicants. Being a marine veteran I believe should be more than enough to compensate, as a matter of fact, I personally (and would hope that adcoms would feel the same) think that serving our country is much more than any volunteering experience listed by any other applicant. In your case, just getting a good amount of shadowing hours would be important I believe as it shows that you've seen enough to really know that this is what you want to do with your future (not sure how much of this you have, and again it is understandable to not have as much as a traditional applicant).

There's no threshold for GPA/DAT to compensate for no volunteering, but I feel there definitely is when it comes to non-trad applicants. Being a marine veteran I believe should be more than enough to compensate, as a matter of fact, I personally (and would hope that adcoms would feel the same) think that serving our country is much more than any volunteering experience listed by any other applicant. In your case, just getting a good amount of shadowing hours would be important I believe as it shows that you've seen enough to really know that this is what you want to do with your future (not sure how much of this you have, and again it is understandable to not have as much as a traditional applicant).
Thanks, I was hoping this might be the case. I have less (dental) shadowing hours than I would like, but I am going to try to get a few more this semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, I was hoping this might be the case. I have less (dental) shadowing hours than I would like, but I am going to try to get a few more this semester.

Do your absolute best to have 100. It ain't that bad (just start putting in 5 hours a week), and you'll be closing some doors if you don't.

Do your absolute best to have 100. It ain't that bad (just start putting in 5 hours a week), and you'll be closing some doors if you don't.
I'll try. I'm not too worried about "closing some doors". I have already closed a handful due to taking courses at community college.

Some schools have minimum requirements for hours of volunteer work and separate hours of shadowing. Best to check the school websites and/or call to find out so you don't apply to schools you don't have enough hours for.
I know one school that requires you have your minimum hours met at the time you apply, not just before matriculation:eek:

Some schools have minimum requirements for hours of volunteer work and separate hours of shadowing. Best to check the school websites and/or call to find out so you don't apply to schools you don't have enough hours for.
I know one school that requires you have your minimum hours met at the time you apply, not just before matriculation:eek:
Which school is this?

Volunteer pre-dental students needed for downtown Los Angeles on Fridays

The ADEA guide (worth the small fee to access it) lists whether schools have minimums.

Yeah, I'm going to apply next cycle too and I'm already really busy with school and work. Kudos for trying this stuff with a family.