volunteering.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jon stewart

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you have to be a U.S. citizen to volunteer at a hospital. I went to the volunteer interview today and i was told that i couldnt volunteer beacause im a "foregn national",. What are all you "foreign nationals" doing out there?

Members don't see this ad.

They're probably just being cautious (yes, too cautious i think). I just started volunteering today and it kinda sux but i think it'll get better. Volunteers can only do certain things.

Peace.

jon stewart said:
Do you have to be a U.S. citizen to volunteer at a hospital. I went to the volunteer interview today and i was told that i couldnt volunteer beacause im a "foregn national",. What are all you "foreign nationals" doing out there?

I heard of this happening a few times...When I was at my volunteer orientation at the local hospital, the girl I was speaking too could not complete the orientation and therefore not volunteer at the hospital because she wasn't a US citizen. Since the hospital completes a background check on everyone before they could volunteer, everyone must have a social security number and thereby be a US citizen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Xian said:
They're probably just being cautious (yes, too cautious i think). I just started volunteering today and it kinda sux but i think it'll get better. Volunteers can only do certain things.

Peace.

are you a "foriegn national"

what am i supposed to do now? I was hoping that volunteering at the hospital was something i could get started on this summer.

that is so weird! i wasn't a us citizen and didn't have any trouble....have you tried several different places?

do you have a green card or some other type of visa...?

wetlightning said:
that is so weird! i wasn't a us citizen and didn't have any trouble....have you tried several different places?

do you have a green card or some other type of visa...?

im basically screwed over now beacause i waited about 4 weeks for this interview and i didnt think that it would come down to this. So if i want to try at a different hosptial, i got to get the app, then i got to get a intervew date and then i have to go to the oreientaiton for the hospital and then, after all that i start volunteering, by the time this all takes place, i dont think that i will get anything out of it beacause i'll have to go to school in the fall. Also its summer and i dont think that they have any new orientations taking place, the hospital closest to me is alraedy full. I really didnt think this would happen, and now im screwed. This summer has gone to waste. I dont have a greencard. Anyone have any ideas?