Voting rights in your dept.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PpfSuxTube

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
We have many members of our group that chose to work part time, some 2 or 3 days per week.

When we vote on anything however, these partners have equal voting rights. Am I crazy, is this OK?

It's very emotive for some of the part timers, and they won't countenance even discussing changing it.

How do you all vote, when you have part time ppl?

The issue we have more than anything else, is they just don't see enough of the issues on the ground regularly enough to understand what they are voting on, and occasionally they veto things that are needed for our depth...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
We currently do not have any part-time people, however some partners are considering going part time. They were told that their votes (and ownership) will be proportional to their part-time status (i.e. 1/2 vote for 1/2 time; 2/3 for 2/3 time etc).

Reactions: 1 users
As Arch said, when we go 1/2 time, we get 1/2 vote (proportional voting). No reason somebody who only deals with the BS half the time should get a full vote/say on it.

As Arch said, when we go 1/2 time, we get 1/2 vote (proportional voting). No reason somebody who only deals with the BS half the time should get a full vote/say on it.

But. But. But. You don’t understand. Seniority. I deserve it. Respect your elders damn it. Kids these days.

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 4 users
This all will really depend on how your partnership and partnership agreements are structured. You might be stuck without modifying the partnership agreement first, which of course would require a vote of the partners...

We had no part time partners. If you were part time, you were an employee and did not attend business meetings. Only dept meetings. They could vote in Dept meetings with a full vote.

But. But. But. You don’t understand. Seniority. I deserve it. Respect your elders damn it. Kids these days.
Not the reality today. Corporate medicine has destroyed any value that they bring to a department save mentorship of rookies. They were well paid for their work. The only value is the availability and willingness to do cases. We are all glorified blue collar workers. When I made the decision to work part time I resigned my shareholder status and stepped away from group issues. When I am in town I give them days I am willing to work and show up to work and stay out of the drama. Given the manpower shortage I am confident that there will be no shortage of work to do as I transition to full retirement.

Reactions: 6 users
Not the reality today. Corporate medicine has destroyed any value that they bring to a department save mentorship of rookies. They were well paid for their work. The only value is the availability and willingness to do cases. We are all glorified blue collar workers. When I made the decision to work part time I resigned my shareholder status and stepped away from group issues. When I am in town I give them days I am willing to work and show up to work and stay out of the drama. Given the manpower shortage I am confident that there will be no shortage of work to do as I transition to full retirement.
You missed the sarcasm in my post. I agree with you. I don't object to proportional voting rights for partial FTE docs who take call and step up etc. Don't feel super strongly about it either.

If you work less than full time, you lose your vote. Pay and vacation drop proportionally to the reduction in workload, but voting rights are lost as soon as you're no longer an FTE.

Members don't see this ad :)
We do things a little differently. Everybody who works primarily at our site votes whether they are partners or not yet partners, full-timers or part-timers (our part-timers are all 0.8 FTEs and they take a proportional amount of call so their interests are similar to the rest of the group.) The most important things we vote on are who to take on as new permanent staff, what new service lines and sites to take on, and our staffing levels.

Last edited:
I am a young partner choosing to go down to halftime in my group to seek balance and well-being in my life. I have enough money therefore want to prioritize time with my family while I and my kids are young. I feel THIS type of mentality is under-prioritized as a whole in medicine, particularly in our specialty. I'm just wondering if maybe it might actually be more valuable for a group if someone like me in the group gets to maintain full voting rights as an effort to help the group have strong representation from individuals who prioritize life balance instead of prioritizing strength of voting rights based on just who works (read: overextends and risks burnout) more?

I am a young partner choosing to go down to halftime in my group to seek balance and well-being in my life. I have enough money therefore want to prioritize time with my family while I and my kids are young. I feel THIS type of mentality is under-prioritized as a whole in medicine, particularly in our specialty. I'm just wondering if maybe it might actually be more valuable for a group if someone like me in the group gets to maintain full voting rights as an effort to help the group have strong representation from individuals who prioritize life balance instead of prioritizing strength of voting rights based on just who works (read: overextends and risks burnout) more?

• Dislike
How many hours is full time in your group?

How many hours is full time in your group?
We are about 55 hours a week, overnight call weekly, 8 weeks vacation a year for full time.

I don't know if I necessarily agree to what I propose but I'm curious what others think. Decisions are made differently by individuals who want to work more than those who want to protect their time. It may be a more sustainable option for a group.

Why not just become a salaried employee, M-F days with no weekends, holidays, or call?

It's clearly what you want, and I'm sure you could work out an appropriate compensation package with your group for those hours.

We are about 55 hours a week, overnight call weekly, 8 weeks vacation a year for full time.

I don't know if I necessarily agree to what I propose but I'm curious what others think. Decisions are made differently by individuals who want to work more than those who want to protect their time. It may be a more sustainable option for a group.
I agree that everyone making a significant contribution (.5 FTE or more), should have some input. Our group, half-timers get a half vote. Otherwise, you’d have nothing but the workaholics making the decisions. In my opinion, that’s how it ought to work in a larger group with multiple folks doing part-time (AND taking call).

In a small group, with maybe only one “outlier” doing part-time, I guess a case could be made to the contrary.

Why not just become a salaried employee, M-F days with no weekends, holidays, or call?

It's clearly what you want, and I'm sure you could work out an appropriate compensation package with your group for those hours.
In our group, part-timers still do same holidays/nights/weekends, just less of them. Less “disruptive” that way, and more useful to the group. May be the same for his group, as well.

I'll be doing 2 weeks on 2 weeks off, part of the call pool during my 2 weeks on. It allots to 0.6FTE. I wouldn't put up a major fight if I lost some voting rights because it's not a hill I want to die on but I just think philosophically a group that values these types of part time positions enough to retain their voting rights is one that may be more sustainable.