VP shunt and epidurals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oneforfighting

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any issues with doing a cervical epidural injection in a patient with VP shunt? Not sure if there's increased risk of infecting the shunt. Can't find much online. Figured I would throw it on here and see everyone's thoughts. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

not a problem. just dont shoot steroids into the ventricles, and you should be OK

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The shunts drain into the abdomen so the trajectory of tubing will carry towards the anterolateral neck. I did cervical epidurals and facet ablations on someone before I realized they had a VP shunt and they were fine.

Reactions: 1 user
The shunts drain into the abdomen so the trajectory of tubing will carry towards the anterolateral neck. I did cervical epidurals and facet ablations on someone before I realized they had a VP shunt and they were fine.
Since injection is epidural and not intrathecal I figured it wouldn't be an issue anyway but thought I'd ask. Would you have run past neurosurgery first if you knew ahead of time?

Since injection is epidural and not intrathecal I figured it wouldn't be an issue anyway but thought I'd ask. Would you have run past neurosurgery first if you knew ahead of time?
I would not consult. What are you concerned might happen?

Probably not. I just explain to the patient that our injection site is nowhere near the shunt. I guess if you accidentally wet tap them the CSF would still preferentially flow through the shunt.

Reactions: 1 user