VSAS 2021/2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stickgirl390

I tell chemistry jokes periodically.
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why does it seem like no programs are offering aways through VSAS? Is this still a Covid thing, or is this a “the dates won’t show up until April 15th” thing?

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure but there are several large institutions in my area that have nothing on VSAS.

Reactions: 1 user
It's weird because i've seem like 2-3 programs get added for my specialty in my region over the past 2 weeks but the application just isn't open yet. Although I hope April 15 shows a many more options, I'm still confused as to what the purpose in withholding information from prospective students is

Members don't see this ad :)
It's weird because i've seem like 2-3 programs get added for my specialty in my region over the past 2 weeks but the application just isn't open yet. Although I hope April 15 shows a many more options, I'm still confused as to what the purpose in withholding information from prospective students is
Is it usual for the options to only become present after April 15?

Is it usual for the options to only become present after April 15?
I’m thinking this might be the case, because in the past the options being visible meant you could click them, and thus submit an app. Maybe they don’t have the programming to just display the dates without making them clickable. Seems weaksauce.

I’m thinking this might be the case, because in the past the options being visible meant you could click them, and thus submit an app. Maybe they don’t have the programming to just display the dates without making them clickable. Seems weaksauce.
Yeah but there are plenty of other programs that have their VSAS electives displayed with correct start dates.

Yeah but there are plenty of other programs that have their VSAS electives displayed with correct start dates.
The only ones I’ve seen like that are leftovers from 2020/2021 that haven’t happened yet. Do you have an example so I can look it up on my end?

The only ones I’ve seen like that are leftovers from 2020/2021 that haven’t happened yet. Do you have an example so I can look it up on my end?
On my screen there are numerous. For instance, "EMSUBI - Emergency Medicine, Emergency Medicine
Keck SOM of U So California , Visalia, CA USA" shows a start date of 8/2021

On my screen there are numerous. For instance, "EMSUBI - Emergency Medicine, Emergency Medicine
Keck SOM of U So California , Visalia, CA USA" shows a start date of 8/2021
Yeah that's what I'm seeing with all programs. It will give the range of dates that will be offered, but not actual dates for specific rotations.

At this point, we'll find out tomorrow.

Well what the hell I see no updates

Im done with 90% of VSAS, waiting for 1 more program to open up on Monday

I was lucky and had two programs open for submissions back in February

I've applied to 200 rotations over the past 36 hours. This is expensive lol.

I don't have a homesite though so every single rotation has to be at an "away" site. the current 4th years had no issues last year doing that even with COVID, hopefully I wont have much either.

Also hoping I didnt screw myself over. I was way more focused on getting sub-Is for the July-October months. Did not really pay attention to what the order of preferences for dates was after that. Trying to mentally work out how rotations could be scheduled gave me a massive headache.

Members don't see this ad :)

I don't have a homesite though so every single rotation has to be at an "away" site. the current 4th years had no issues last year doing that even with COVID, hopefully I wont have much either.

Also hoping I didnt screw myself over. I was way more focused on getting sub-Is for the July-October months. Did not really pay attention to what the order of preferences for dates was after that. Trying to mentally work out how rotations could be scheduled gave me a massive headache.
I don't even know how you saw that many programs on the site, for my specialty theres maybe 2 pages of options in my region....not the institution's I need that i know use VSAS

I don't even know how you saw that many programs on the site, for my specialty theres maybe 2 pages of options in my region....not the institution's I need that i know use VSAS
It looks like I got really lucky and all the hospitals in my region had their stuff together.

Don’t tell me that now...

I guess formal business hours don’t start until 8am EST?
Well luckily I don't have to leave for clinic until 8:15 today which gives me the perfect amount of time to sit here and click refresh until 8

• Haha
Well luckily I don't have to leave for clinic until 8:15 today which gives me the perfect amount of time to sit here and click refresh until 8
I am still not seeing any offerings from some of the major institutions in my area.

I am still not seeing any offerings from some of the major institutions in my area.
Check their institution page. The biggest hospital in my area never updated their page so I just assumed they would not be offering anything for a while

Is a 3-4k tuition cost for 4 week elective normal, or is that just for international students?
that wayyy abnormal. most are free for US students. Colorado has a few that charge thousands if you're a DO

Is UCLA really notifying students today (april 15) whether or not they got into the away rotation?

Is UCLA really notifying students today (april 15) whether or not they got into the away rotation?
The dates on VSAS can be incredibly out of date. You just gotta apply and keep an eye out for a acceptance email. most will let you know at minimum 45-60 days in advance

Hackensack application doesnt even open until July 1 lol what is wrong w these people dont they know we have ERAS

why did you apply to 200 rotations

Reactions: 1 users
why did you apply to 200 rotations
its 200 with all the various dates. I applied to like 50 and chose at least 4 dates for each one.

every single one of my rotations next year will be aways. I do not have a home site

its 200 with all the various dates. I applied to like 50 and chose at least 4 dates for each one.

every single one of my rotations next year will be aways. I do not have a home site
You Caribbean or something? Your school doesn't have any affiliated sites whatsoever?

Does anyone have an idea of the best strategy to do aways. Say if you have a step score of 230, would it make sense to do your away at places with average of 225 or 235? Is it better to try to do aways at reach places ?

You Caribbean or something? Your school doesn't have any affiliated sites whatsoever?
DO and not in 4th year no. My core site from 3rd year offered to give me some, but they are a very small hospital with no residents. need something more

Why would you do an entire year of aways? Thats burnout city
i think we are using terminology different, or I am using it wrong. I'm doing all my rotations at hospitals surrounding the city my fiance lives at. To me any rotation not at your schools home institution is an "away" but I have heard audition/away/Sub-Is used interchangeably.

i think we are using terminology different, or I am using it wrong. I'm doing all my rotations at hospitals surrounding the city my fiance lives at. To me any rotation not at your schools home institution is an "away" but I have heard audition/away/Sub-Is used interchangeably.
Ah yeah I understand. Geez I didnt realize you had to use VSAS for those. I thought youd be able to just call up, agree on a date, and shake hands

Does anyone have an idea of the best strategy to do aways. Say if you have a step score of 230, would it make sense to do your away at places with average of 225 or 235? Is it better to try to do aways at reach places ?
Given you’re only “allowed” to do one away this year, I would say try to do it at one of your top choice programs. It may be your best chance at matching there.

That being said, if your Step 1 is 230 maybe don’t try to get an away in neurosurgery at Stanford.

Given you’re only “allowed” to do one away this year, I would say try to do it at one of your top choice programs. It may be your best chance at matching there.

That being said, if your Step 1 is 230 maybe don’t try to get an away in neurosurgery at Stanford.
Gotcha. I was just using it as a hypothetical

You can also call outpatient docs and do some rotations with them. It doesn't all have to be in hospitals.

Does anyone know how flexible aways rotations are with dates? Are the dates on VSAS pretty much set or do you have flexibility.?

Ah yeah I understand. Geez I didnt realize you had to use VSAS for those. I thought youd be able to just call up, agree on a date, and shake hands

You can also call outpatient docs and do some rotations with them. It doesn't all have to be in hospitals.
yeah, and for some two weeks to till in gaps I might do that. After being at a small community hospital for all of third year, I need to get more variety in the patients I see, actually work with residents (my hospital has zero), and just get used to what a bigger hospital is like. I have 3 letters already, but I really want to get some from docs from the area I'll hopefully be doing residency.

To me as well, VSAS was just an easier way to do everything. Much more streamlined than calling docs

Does anyone know how flexible aways rotations are with dates? Are the dates on VSAS pretty much set or do you have flexibility.?
I've heard it depends on the institution . On their websites some will say if they are flexible or not. I think out of the 4-5 places I applied to 2 were flexible, the rest were rigid.

This is so anxiety producing. I’m in the same boat as ohmanwaddup - and I’ve only put about 30 apps in. Looks like I need to increase my numbers. I’ve only applied to 4-5 for each date range... that may really not be anywhere close to enough. :(

My school is limiting me to 12 weeks per site since we don’t have a core hospital for fourth years, and fourth years are not allowed to use the core sites we had as a third year. All these sites saying they’re only giving 4 weeks per student are just forcing people like me to travel more than we wanted to.

I would have LOVED to spend 12 weeks at each facility instead of bouncing around every month.

This is so anxiety producing. I’m in the same boat as ohmanwaddup - and I’ve only put about 30 apps in. Looks like I need to increase my numbers. I’ve only applied to 4-5 for each date range... that may really not be anywhere close to enough. :(

My school is limiting me to 12 weeks per site since we don’t have a core hospital for fourth years, and fourth years are not allowed to use the core sites we had as a third year. All these sites saying they’re only giving 4 weeks per student are just forcing people like me to travel more than we wanted to.

I would have LOVED to spend 12 weeks at each facility instead of bouncing around every month.
you got this fam. I think I was a bit overkill but its cheap to apply to more. what area are you looking at geo wise?

you got this fam. I think I was a bit overkill but its cheap to apply to more. what area are you looking at geo wise?
Any and every. I’m thinking about applying IR (everywhere) and DR (in warm places only). I will only go to the areas where it snows for IR.

I’m up to 53 apps now, mostly for IR. Probably still won’t get any since most of them only take 1 person and what are the odds that person is going to be me, you know? I just want one rotation in IR and I’ll be happy.

Wasn’t the Covid recommendation that no program offer spots until May 1? I could be wrong, but that’s what I recall reading.
I'm seeing a few programs not follow these recommendations. Seems like a decent amount recognizes they are utter BS

How are people here applying 50+ apps? I just sent 2-3 out today. Probably will max out at 10. Aren't you allowed to only do 1 away. I don't know how people have time for all these always before interview season

How are people here applying 50+ apps? I just sent 2-3 out today. Probably will max out at 10. Aren't you allowed to only do 1 away. I don't know how people have time for all these always before interview season
Yeah I'm not sure either don't feel bad I've only set out one....I don't want to apply to a million that I want to do residency at and then burn bridges by t urning them down

Yeah I'm not sure either don't feel bad I've only set out one....I don't want to apply to a million that I want to do residency at and then burn bridges by t urning them down
you arent going to burn any bridges by applying somewhere and turning down an acceptance, as long as you arent rude about it and don't cancel it after accepting. They know people apply to multiple spots for the same time period.

the people applying to the most are probably in a similar situation to me and some other DOs. We don't have a core site for 4th year. everything has to be at other institutions. We fit all the exceptions laid out by COPA.

It also depends on what people are counting as apps. I've got like 150 pending applications right now, but every date you give counts as an app. Its probably somewhere between 20-30 rotations total.

Yep, same as ohmanwaddup above.

I don’t have a core site and my school won’t let us stay in any one location for more than 12 weeks, so I have to do at least six aways as far as I can tell at this point. We have a couple of online modules we can use for missed rotations so that’s why I’m down to six aways and not eight aways so far. If I only did one away, I wouldn’t be able to graduate, and that trumps everything else.

I’m up to 55 apps at this point and it’s exhausting.

I’m hoping I’ll actually be able to land a few of these because of the one rotation limit, because more than half of those apps are at sites only taking one student per date. And I think in a regular year, the odds of any of those sites picking me are probably abysmal.

• Care