VSAS Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beta Cell

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many of the schools on VSAS have additional requirements in addition to the CV, Picture, Transcripts, and Immunizations. They require school-specific medical clearances, random urine drug tests, proof of certain certifications, etc. I'm not able to locate whether all of this documentation needs to be completed at the time of the application via VSAS or only necessary after you've been approved for a rotation. Forgive me if I've missed something. It seems daunting to assume that I need to complete 5+ detailed forms for every school without knowing if I'll be accepted or able to attend once they tell me what dates they have available. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Many of the schools on VSAS have additional requirements in addition to the CV, Picture, Transcripts, and Immunizations. They require school-specific medical clearances, random urine drug tests, proof of certain certifications, etc. I'm not able to locate whether all of this documentation needs to be completed at the time of the application via VSAS or only necessary after you've been approved for a rotation. Forgive me if I've missed something. It seems daunting to assume that I need to complete 5+ detailed forms for every school without knowing if I'll be accepted or able to attend once they tell me what dates they have available. Thanks!
I actually had a question about this too. Is this like a first-come first-serve thing? Or is there actually a selection process???

This varies widely. In some places it's first come first serve and it's the school, not the department yoiu're rotating in, that makes decisions. In other places, certain departments have Step 1 requirements. I've also heard of people applying and getting "rejected" because of a paperwork issue that they did not understand was a problem until after the fact. If I were you I would just do all the requirements up front.