Wags CII Safe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wagpharm1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi new pharmacist here. I worked my full shift last night and I had problems opening up the CII safe. You would think someone who did 4 years undergrad and 4 years pharmacy school would be able to figure it out but it only came up at the end of my shift when i had to finally open it. Anyways I turned the key all the way and you could hear the timer clicking. This went on for about 10 minutes. It did stop but the safe was still locked. Do you have to reinsert the key or am I missing something? Also should the timer stop or will it keep clicking. The tech i was working with didn't really know and she said the green light is supposed to go off but stopped working months ago....go figure

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like a theft-deterrent time delay safe. I would call and ask another wags rph or ask the supervisor, also check on the intranet for training.
Good luck!

Must be a fancy Walgreens you work at. I've never encountered one with a timer lmao...

Members don't see this ad :)
Must be in Tulsa because most of Walgreens in that area just debuted time delay safes.

Hold up, from what I comprehended, you inset the key and then wait 10 minutes for it to open? If so, what happens when you get robbed and have to tell the thief he'll have to wait 10 minutes for his sweet, sweet oxy?

You ask if they have had their singles shot yet

Reactions: 5 users
If some crackhead comes in waving a knife or a gun the last thing I want to tell them is no I can't give you the oxycontin and you'll have to wait 10 minutes. I want them out of the pharmacy now for the safety of everyone. Also I imagine this would probably cause some pharmacists to leave frequently used drugs outside of the safe.

The time delayed safes are also in the Columbus walgreens. They have signs all over warning about the time delayed safes to deter crime. I believe they are allowed to keep the fast mover narcotics in a regular safe. So if they get robbed the bad guy will only have quick access to some of their narcotics instead of all of them.

So how does the RX not always go into the red if you're waiting 10 minutes from when you print the label until you can even access the drug, let alone count it and verify it?

So usually it takes 3-5 minutes and then you can open it, of course if you don't remember or don't hear it click you got to start the process all over again

I have never heard of such a thing before today. I agree, this sounds dangerous. Haven't businesses policies (for the safety of employees & customers) always been in the past to cooperate fully with the robber & give her/him whatever he wants, so (s)he will leave the store as quickly as possible? Now, a pharmacy (and apparently not the first business to do this?) are putting in safes with a time delay making it impossible for the employees to unlock when some psycho with a gun is saying they will kill the employee if the don't open up the safe in 5 seconds? So maybe thefts go down, but rapes & murders of employees and customers go up? Maybe (big maybe) this would work in banks, where the criminals usually put a little more thought into the robbery, but drug stores & convenience stores robberies tend to be spur of the moment crimes by desperate addicts/criminals, who probably aren't going to take the time to read or understand signs about a time-delay safe (assuming they can read and are in any condition to read). Maybe I'm not understanding this, but it sounds like a really bad idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have never heard of such a thing before today. I agree, this sounds dangerous. Haven't businesses policies (for the safety of employees & customers) always been in the past to cooperate fully with the robber & give her/him whatever he wants, so (s)he will leave the store as quickly as possible? Now, a pharmacy (and apparently not the first business to do this?) are putting in safes with a time delay making it impossible for the employees to unlock when some psycho with a gun is saying they will kill the employee if the don't open up the safe in 5 seconds? So maybe thefts go down, but rapes & murders of employees and customers go up? Maybe (big maybe) this would work in banks, where the criminals usually put a little more thought into the robbery, but drug stores & convenience stores robberies tend to be spur of the moment crimes by desperate addicts/criminals, who probably aren't going to take the time to read or understand signs about a time-delay safe (assuming they can read and are in any condition to read). Maybe I'm not understanding this, but it sounds like a really bad idea.
I think this is a super bad idea. However, I'll give you a dollar if it results in an increase in number of rapes.

Reactions: 1 user
Some stores have also installed police trackers in a narcotic bottle. Just have to be sure to let the floaters know so they don't use it and throw that bottle away.

Also cvs in Columbus has a hydrocodone safe. All their hydrocodone products are locked up but you are allowed to keep a few bottles out. Each time you remove more back stock from the safe you have to log it. Also no longer can keep the hydrocodone products in the dispensing robots. This was in response to employees stealing the hydrocodone products.

I think this is a super bad idea. However, I'll give you a dollar if it results in an increase in number of rapes.

I could see this happening. A robber comes in and is disappointed that he can't get his oxy so in the meantime he just decides to start raping people.

I could see this happening. A robber comes in and is disappointed that he can't get his oxy so in the meantime he just decides to start raping people.

Yeah, or else he decides he will risk the 3 - 5 minutes waiting for his drugs, and what else can he do while he waits? He figures he might as well rape an employee or customer.

The time delay in banks was never during business hours, from what I've heard. When the bank closes, they lock the vault, and it cannot be opened until 7:30 the following morning. If you run in when they are walking out to try and take them by surprise, you're getting nothing. I don't think bankers have been raped more often as a result of this change.

Yeah, or else he decides he will risk the 3 - 5 minutes waiting for his drugs, and what else can he do while he waits? He figures he might as well rape an employee or customer.

At least the condoms are oftentimes in front of the pharmacy.

Reactions: 1 user
Hide your kids, hide your wives.

I cannot imagine having to wait for the safe to open. Like someone else said, the amount of red that would result is scary.