WAGS rphs, need tech advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

illusions

Believe & U Can Succeed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So guys,
Just started working at a new store. Its a slower store with average about 150/day but during the week average is from 140-210/day(slow weekends bring average down). The store has been hit hard by WAGS budget cuts, and its only the pharmacist and one tech.

One of the techs there literally refuses to fill scripts. He will just run front register and drive-thru and when he isn't doing that he will play around on the computer pretending to be busy, work on schedule, etc...when there are 30 labels printed w/ waiters.

I think he believes he's following "workflow", but I have never worked in a WAGS pharmacy where the pharmacist is expected to fill every single prescription, in addition to other duties. With our numbers and staff, this workflow system is flawed.

The issue has been addressed multiple times. Management at the store is a joke. Am I over reacting?

Members don't see this ad.

So guys,
Just started working at a new store. Its a slower store with average about 150/day but during the week average is from 140-210/day(slow weekends bring average down). The store has been hit hard by WAGS budget cuts, and its only the pharmacist and one tech.

One of the techs there literally refuses to fill scripts. He will just run front register and drive-thru and when he isn't doing that he will play around on the computer pretending to be busy, work on schedule, etc...when there are 30 labels printed w/ waiters.

I think he believes he's following "workflow", but I have never worked in a WAGS pharmacy where the pharmacist is expected to fill every single prescription, in addition to other duties. With our numbers and staff, this workflow system is flawed.

The issue has been addressed multiple times. Management at the store is a joke. Am I over reacting?

Just write him up since he doesn't follow your commands. Remember, you are the one in charge and if u let him to run over you, he will.

So guys,

How have you addressed it with him? Have you said, "Please come fill some of these scripts and I'll check them"? What was his response?

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't write up, only management can.

Absolutely, I have. Trust me, its pass that stage, I have no problem confronting someone on an issue. You can say, "I need you to hold off on doing that for a second, and help catch up these prescriptions". He will go fill a couple of scripts and make his way back over to the front.

It's easier for me to balance grabbing the occasional customer at the counter and drive-thru, but I have to constantly say I'll get it keep filling.

The floater that comes to my store fills the same way about this technician. Actually the RXM will make complaints, but I fill never addresses it properly because he's not the confrontational type. Me and the floater have met with the store manager, and they were going to speak with him, but I don't think it was done.

He is a very good tech, but I feel he doesn't know how to multi-task or either I'm leaning towards doesn't want to multi-task.

I agree with the others. You are in charge, and you need to make it clear what you expect him to do. What do you mean when you say the issue has been addressed many times? With him? Or with store management? If you haven't addressed the issue with him personally, he may not even realize what he is doing wrong. Approach him professionally and give him a chance to correct it. If he disregards your instruction after the discussion, then you would need to consider write-ups etc.

eta: illusions, we were posting at the same time. I feel for you. I work with a technician who sounds very similar to yours. I almost thought we worked at the same store for a minute. :p I have found that being firm about it without backing down has helped greatly. Make it clear that you don't need him to fill only when you are behind, but that it is his responsibility and that you shouldn't always have to remind him of that.

Last edited:
I agree that if you tell the tech to fill, they should fill. But when I had 1 tech and it was busy, I always wanted them to run the front end, and I'd fill and verify. But that was just my preference, because I could usually fill scripts faster than most any tech.

Wow, what a horrible situation. I'm just a tech, and even I know better than that.

Even when I'm technically "assigned" to a position, like drop-off or pick-up, if it's just me and the pharmacist, I will constantly be knocking stuff out of the production queue.

My pharmacist-in-charge, I have liked and admired him since day 1, and I always try to work to impress him. I want to make a good impression with him so that he will write me a good letter of recommendation for pharmacy school when the time comes.

My assistant pharmacist, we started off rough, but in recent weeks, I've been trying to be nicer and more respectful to her. As a result, we are getting along a lot better now.

As a fairly inexperienced tech, I feel like it is my job to do all I can to best support the RPh while providing good customer service. It's not that hard of a concept to grasp if you care about professionalism.

As far as I know, as a pharmacist, you are in charge of the techs....so tell him what to do....

tell the PIC to handle it if you cant.....

I worked in a very similar store as an intern.....so it was just me and the pharmacist.

I was able to handle the drive thru, pick up, and we both filled and did drop off....

he should be able to help you some.....dont be scared!!...:scared:

So guys,

As a former WG intern, I can vow that your tech told the truth about the "workflow". When I was there, I was taught that we should stick to the workstation we are assigned only. In fact, every time I jumped to another station to help out if mine wasn't busy, I was reminded by the RX Manager "Don't be a hero" sarcastically. I almost got written up one time for "running around too much". So, I believe if your tech wasn't assigned to the filling station, he wasn't going to do it.

Thank God I now work for another pharmacy where my "running around" is recognized as "going above and beyond". But I'm not alone, everyone of my coworkers (esp the RX Manger) always watch one another's back and never practice that "stick to your station" crap.

As a former WG intern, I can vow that your tech told the truth about the "workflow". When I was there, I was taught that we should stick to the workstation we are assigned only. In fact, every time I jumped to another station to help out if mine wasn't busy, I was reminded by the RX Manager "Don't be a hero" sarcastically. I almost got written up one time for "running around too much". So, I believe if your tech wasn't assigned to the filling station, he wasn't going to do it.

Thank God I now work for another pharmacy where my "running around" is recognized as "going above and beyond". But I'm not alone, everyone of my coworkers (esp the RX Manger) always watch one another's back and never practice that "stick to your station" crap.

Well, I think that might have been the case when there was enough tech help..but with one tech you have to be at all the stations unless the pharmacist is being a tech. When there is only two of you, you have to do everything and help each other to just get the job done.

Forget about what the corporate policy is....they dont work in an actual pharmacy.....:rolleyes:

He should come down and help out. Per workflow, when there are no calls or people at the counter, filling should be done. At my store, we view the workflow charts as guidelines to what we should do. However, you have to adapt to the situation.