wait?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

staticfritz

doctor doctor to be
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i got my duke waitlist card today..... :mad:
it's not a no, but it's not an answer either.

I have an acceptance to northwestern. should I bother holding out for duke? argh, this is so irritating. i want this processs over!
are my odds even within the realm of reality?

(i guess i'll probably hold out, i guess this is more of a gripe...anyone else mail in the little card?)

Members don't see this ad.

staticfritz said:

I have an acceptance to northwestern. should I bother holding out for duke? argh, this is so irritating. i want this processs over!

(i guess i'll probably hold out, i guess this is more of a gripe...anyone else mail in the little card?)

I was waitlisted too! Did you just get MD, or have you heard from the MSTP yet. I mailed in my card today and indicated that it's my first choice (which it is). I have no clue if their waitlist moves very much. I think Duke is ideal for MSTP since they have the condensed basic science years, plus you have some clinical experience before you start the PhD. Plus they seem to have really solid research and a well-organized program. But Northwestern seemed great too -- it would be really tempting to me to just know where I'm going to be next year! I know it's a major issue for me and my boyfriend. But, alas, my only other acceptance is Medical College of Wisconsin..which is kind of my last choice. I was also waitlisted at Mayo. Don't they know our lives hang in the balance??

mudphudwannabe said:
I was waitlisted too! Did you just get MD, or have you heard from the MSTP yet. I mailed in my card today and indicated that it's my first choice (which it is). I have no clue if their waitlist moves very much. I think Duke is ideal for MSTP since they have the condensed basic science years, plus you have some clinical experience before you start the PhD. Plus they seem to have really solid research and a well-organized program. But Northwestern seemed great too -- it would be really tempting to me to just know where I'm going to be next year! I know it's a major issue for me and my boyfriend. But, alas, my only other acceptance is Medical College of Wisconsin..which is kind of my last choice. I was also waitlisted at Mayo. Don't they know our lives hang in the balance??

i spoke with pat burke this afternoon. she informed me the mstp is contingent on the md so.......waitlisted at both!
arghhhhhh

I wish you luck! (you as paranoid as I am that that dinky little card is gonna get lost?)

Members don't see this ad :)
staticfritz said:

I'd go with Northwestern and never look back. (But I'm also biased because I want the Duke waitlist to move, and I don't have the option of falling back on Northwestern.)

Does anyone know anything about Duke's MSTP waitlist? For example, are you automatically ranked higher on their waitlist if you're accepted MD first, or is it completely independent?

I don't know much more about the duke waitlist. Although i know it's unranked and only likely to move as they hear from ppl turning them down. Pat burke told me that they offer only as many spots as they have money to pay for (and on a side-note, they got less money this year b/c there was not funding from the duke endowment, so duke only has it's nih money). So it's possible to get in off the waitlist, but only after someone tells duke no. So that probably won't happen for a few weeks.

Actually i was wondering about this "tiny card" you're all talking about. I got an email from pat burke saying i was on the waitlist, but i also got accepted to duke md. So for those of you that got these cards, did you get in to duke med?

The two are relatively independent. When I visited, a student that was on the MD admissions committee told me that if the MD/PhD wants you and the MD doesn't, somehow you still get taken. Good luck guys, Duke is awesome.

tink'rbell said:
I don't know much more about the duke waitlist. Although i know it's unranked and only likely to move as they hear from ppl turning them down. Pat burke told me that they offer only as many spots as they have money to pay for (and on a side-note, they got less money this year b/c there was not funding from the duke endowment, so duke only has it's nih money). So it's possible to get in off the waitlist, but only after someone tells duke no. So that probably won't happen for a few weeks.

Actually i was wondering about this "tiny card" you're all talking about. I got an email from pat burke saying i was on the waitlist, but i also got accepted to duke md. So for those of you that got these cards, did you get in to duke med?

So was this an official email, or just a response to an email you sent? When I called, she said she would be sending out the waitlist notifications soon, but I haven't heard anything, although she did say that the MSTP had waitlisted me. (creating fantasy world in my head in which there was a mistake, and no news is good news)

waiting really seems to be the only answer....how irritating. this process takes too friggin long...

It was an official email, informing me that i was waitlisted but congratulating me on my med school acceptance. All other info that i mentioned was from talking with Pat. Oh, and staticfritz, n'western is amazing! So while obviously you'll be waiting around for Duke, start getting excited about Chicago!!

yeah, i'm plenty excited about chicago :)
duke was(is?) just a bit higher on my list....but i'm not complaining about acceptances. more just the whole waitlist thing...