waiting to send in secondary due to waiting for a DO letter bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jccalalafc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I submitted my app today, and I'm assuming the whole verification process and releasing to schools takes around a month? (someone correct me if im wrong) Currently, I'm currently shadowing a DO who said he would write me a letter but this would happen prolly towards the end of june
Is this timeline alright/will I be delayed because I will be getting that letter late? If, for some reason, I get my secondaries before I am able to get a letter from him, should I wait until the letter is completed? I've heard waiting to submit secondaries is bad (dunno exactly why? other than the usual submit everything ASAP)
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would submit your secondaries right away because some schools don't require letters of rec before interviews (LECOM-Erie for one). Some schools, however, won't consider your application complete until you have all letters of rec into them (most of the schools I applied to).

I would explain the situation to the DO you are shadowing and see if he can speed up the process. I think your timing will be pretty good if you get a letter at the end of June because you will just be starting to get secondaries.

The key is to get things in ASAP. Good luck!

I would submit your secondaries right away because some schools don't require letters of rec before interviews (LECOM-Erie for one). Some schools, however, won't consider your application complete until you have all letters of rec into them (most of the schools I applied to).

I would explain the situation to the DO you are shadowing and see if he can speed up the process. I think your timing will be pretty good if you get a letter at the end of June because you will just be starting to get secondaries.

The key is to get things in ASAP. Good luck!

I would agree. You might want to consider researching the schools you are applying and see when they need the LOR. And end of June is still within the early stages of applying so I think your safe.

Members don't see this ad :)
will I be delayed because I will be getting that letter late? If, for some reason, I get my secondaries before I am able to get a letter from him, should I wait until the letter is completed?
Thanks!

LECOM grants interviews without receiving all your letters. Other schools will wait until they receive all supporting documents to make a decision to grant invitations. So, the longer you wait to get the letters in after submitting your secondary, the longer you will have to wait for them to review your file.

You shouldn't wait until you get the letter from him to submit your secondaries.

Good luck!

Based on what others are saying on SDN the current AACOMAS verification time is 3-4 days.

To add onto what others said, some schools will even accept your secondary application before you receive an invite. DCOM told students at my university, for example, that as soon as we hit submit on the AACOMAS application that we should go to the website, download the secondary, and send it in. There are others who say the same. Thus, at schools like DCOM, you could be entirely complete with the exception of the letter from the DO. Further, since DCOM doesn't require a DO letter, if you've also got an MD letter you'd be entirely complete.

Get everything as complete as you can get it as quickly as you can get it. Don't rush your essays but there's no reason not to shotgun everything else (LORs, etc) as fast as you can. The less pieces of the puzzle missing the better!