Waitlist Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuropsyance

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think professor's are ever disappointed when they end up accepting someone off a waitlist. I'm very close to accepting off a waitlist offer. This sounds dumb, but I just want to know they want me around.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think professor's are ever disappointed when they end up accepting someone off a waitlist. I'm very close to accepting off a waitlist offer. This sounds dumb, but I just want to know they want me around.

People aren't accepted off of waitlists unless they are wanted. Waitlists exist because there aren't enough spots for the amount of wanted, qualified candidates that apply. If you were waitlisted, they want you.

Do you think professor's are ever disappointed when they end up accepting someone off a waitlist.

I don't think that is likely. If they didn't want you, they wouldn't have to extend the offer at all. I've heard of some POIs who do this - maybe interview a handful, accept one, put one or two on the waitlist and that's it. If none of those take it, they don't necessarily continue on down the list. What does this mean? It means that they do want you at the end of the day.

When I received my first waitlist at a school I liked I was annoyed - it sort of made my enthusiasm for them fizzle because of wanting to be "wanted". However, when it was my turn to decide I was honestly torn between two programs which I really liked, and I knew I would be lucky to attend either. I couldn't accept both - and one was turned down. For me this translates into the reality that a professor could really be torn between students (want them both) but have to go with just one (basing that decision on a number of small factors).

So if it's the right fit for you accept happily. They want you.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

I don't think so. Many applicants are put on the waitlist for a reason - because they are good applicants! If they didn't think you were a good fit for the program, they wouldn't have put you on a waitlist (instead of rejecting you). I am sure that programs wish they could extend "first round" offers to many of the waitlisters, but are unable to do so.

An acceptance is an acceptance! :D

Yeah you're all right. I've just been so stressed about making the right decision about all this. It's been quite a trip.