waitlisted and/or rejected

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

creature29

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else waitlisted or rejected from programs and just feel down in the dumps? Any advice on how to cope and not feel like a total failure?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The one thing I'm afraid of is asking the PT's that I asked for LOR from 3 times already for another one for next year....:eek:

Reactions: 2 users
I'm on the same boat as you both!!! This is my third application cycle! It sucks not knowing where your life is going and it sucks that it's so competitive but it's going to be worth it in the future! I know that each application cycle I see my application improving in the right direction im sure you do too! The right program will see your strengths and will guide you with your weaknesses! Don't let this own you! I've felt miserable as well, I'm waitlisted at a program this year and I'm hoping that it's meant to be! If it is great if it's not then sucks for them lol! Just try to be positive about it and live your life! It's a tedious application but it'll be worth it in the end! Just keep on keepin on :)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat. This is my third application cycle too, and I've been wait listed at two programs but rejected by all the others. I hope to get accepted this year but am not sure what's next if it doesn't happen. I'm really tired of the rejection and that "not good enough" feeling, but I'm also so scared and devastated at the idea of letting go of my dream of being a PT. As I've told friends and members of my family, I feel like there's nothing else for me. I know that's not true, but it's hard to think otherwise when this has been my main focus for the last handful of years. As far as what you said about LORs @GOGOGO1528 I feel the same way but I think (and hope) that people will still be more than willing to help out, especially if you show them the ways you keep working to improve your application. I wish I had more advice about how to cope and not feel like a failure. I've been struggling with that a lot too. The most helpful thing for me so far has been running. I've never really been a runner, and I'm not very good, but every time I finish a run I feel like I've accomplished something, which is definitely a welcome feeling amid all the rejection and uncertainty. I'm happy to see a thread like this, I've been looking for this topic on here and not finding much!

Reactions: 4 users
I'm on the same boat as you both!!! This is my third application cycle! It sucks not knowing where your life is going and it sucks that it's so competitive but it's going to be worth it in the future! I know that each application cycle I see my application improving in the right direction im sure you do too! The right program will see your strengths and will guide you with your weaknesses! Don't let this own you! I've felt miserable as well, I'm waitlisted at a program this year and I'm hoping that it's meant to be! If it is great if it's not then sucks for them lol! Just try to be positive about it and live your life! It's a tedious application but it'll be worth it in the end! Just keep on keepin on :)
Thank you! Its so nice to hear that there are others out there that don't get in off the bat. I feel like all my friends who applied got in on their first try and here I am working just as hard and not getting in for the 2 times I've tried already! I appreciate the positivity! We will get in when the time is right and when it's meant to be :luck:

I'm in the same boat. This is my third application cycle too, and I've been wait listed at two programs but rejected by all the others. I hope to get accepted this year but am not sure what's next if it doesn't happen. I'm really tired of the rejection and that "not good enough" feeling, but I'm also so scared and devastated at the idea of letting go of my dream of being a PT. As I've told friends and members of my family, I feel like there's nothing else for me. I know that's not true, but it's hard to think otherwise when this has been my main focus for the last handful of years. As far as what you said about LORs @GOGOGO1528 I feel the same way but I think (and hope) that people will still be more than willing to help out, especially if you show them the ways you keep working to improve your application. I wish I had more advice about how to cope and not feel like a failure. I've been struggling with that a lot too. The most helpful thing for me so far has been running. I've never really been a runner, and I'm not very good, but every time I finish a run I feel like I've accomplished something, which is definitely a welcome feeling amid all the rejection and uncertainty. I'm happy to see a thread like this, I've been looking for this topic on here and not finding much!
I so feel you on the run thing! It's honestly the only thing getting me through this! I just went on a big run after getting a wait listed letter the other day and it really helped me to stay positive and to keep trying because I know in the end this is the only thing I know is my passion, and it will be beyond worth all the struggle. We ARE worth it!

I feel the same way @mv85dpthopeful I've looked into other careers or masters programs. I went to a nursing school orientation lol but I always went back to PT. If you feel like there is nothing else just keep at it! I feel like when schools see that you're not giving up it helps they know you're in it for the long haul! I'm glad to see this thread all I think about all day is PT school and feel like crap. We could use this as a support system for each other!

Thank you! Its so nice to hear that there are others out there that don't get in off the bat. I feel like all my friends who applied got in on their first try and here I am working just as hard and not getting in for the 2 times I've tried already! I appreciate the positivity! We will get in when the time is right and when it's meant to be :luck:

Yes!!! A lot of my friends got into PT/OT school right after undergrad! I strongly believe once we are there we will appreciate the career more than them because they never really got to deal with how competitive it is :) yes we will!! Never give up on your dreams!!!

I feel the same way @mv85dpthopeful I've looked into other careers or masters programs. I went to a nursing school orientation lol but I always went back to PT. If you feel like there is nothing else just keep at it! I feel like when schools see that you're not giving up it helps they know you're in it for the long haul! I'm glad to see this thread all I think about all day is PT school and feel like crap. We could use this as a support system for each other!

Yay, support system!! :)

Reactions: 3 users
It's refreshing to know other people are going through what I'm going through! Being on this site and knowing people personally who've applied with me this cycle, it seems like everyone gets in a program their first try and it's kind of discouraging on my end. Crossing my fingers for all of us waitlisted/rejected so far!

Reactions: 5 users
I am on my second application cycle and had some similar feelings. I actually got in to a few schools this time around and a bunch of waitlists/rejections. My main advice would be to cast a LARGE net. I applied to 15-20 schools all over the country. If you are sticking to one region or even one state then you are going to have a tought time. In addition, consider some schools that aren't accredided quite yet. Yes, it may b a bit of a gamble if they do not get accredidation BUT a lot of those school are one cycle away and will be fully good to go. One school I got into this year, Desales, even has a safety valve just in case they do not get it so that their students cans still sit for their exams.

Reactions: 1 users
good luck everyone. keep your head up. i know it's an incredibly draining process and not getting the results you want is tough.

Good luck everyone :) I'm not in the same boat as you guys, but I do have friends that have been waitlisted/rejected this cycle. All you can really do is improve your application for next year! You've tried so hard for a reason, you really want to be PTs! I'd say try to get a job as a PT tech, observe at a wider variety of places, observe at some places longer to try to get better LORs, retake any classes you got Cs or even Bs in for science/core classes, and just try to be more involved in your community! I hope you all get accepted this cycle to schools you were waitlisted at!

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone needs advice PM/ email me. I applied 3 times and finally got accepted!

to those who have re-applied multiple times, what did you do to strengthen your application? what did you do during that "off year" ? i've always had this idea of getting into a program immediately after graduating undergrad, and now that i'm getting closer to not being accepted into a program yet...it's a lot scary.

@creature29 i agree with you it's really scary but here's what you can do.. Work as a rehab tech, retake classes that you've gotten Cs or lower in, retake GRE, keep in touch and update your references with what you're doing so they can give you another reference for the next cycle. I haven't had the time for this but also volunteer at pt clinics or hospital while working. this was hard for me at first but what it has showed me is that I want to be a PT and just keep at it :)

get as many observation settings as possible -- the number of hours doesn't matter.

i had 2 hours in a third setting, and this seemed to seriously impress in some interviews.

to those who have re-applied multiple times, what did you do to strengthen your application? what did you do during that "off year" ? i've always had this idea of getting into a program immediately after graduating undergrad, and now that i'm getting closer to not being accepted into a program yet...it's a lot scary.
I ended up going into a Masters program at UIUC. Being that my main issue with my application was my GPA I felt that some classes and added responsibility (teaching classes and leading a research project) would look good. I also retook a few pre reqs that I had Cs in and also did more shadowing. After talking to schools once I did all these things, it seemed like the BIGGEST stuff is to show you still care by continuing shadowing/observation and ultimately getting your GPA up. If you have a decent to high GPA and are still struggling, most likely you have nothing separating you from the rest of the pool. For me, that is where my Masters program and research are helping.

I would retake classes that I got C's in to raise my prerequisite GPA. You can raise your prerequisite GPA far easier than your cumulative GPA. I would also make sure I shadowed in at least five different settings. The more settings the better. Hours are not nearly as important. I would call the programs that I wanted to get into and try to arrange a tour if that is financially doable for you. Other than that I would research each program you're going to apply to very thoroughly. You need to apply to programs that fit you and to programs that you have a legit shot at getting into. If you're fortunate enough to meet with a program director just ask them for their advice on what you should do to be a strong candidate. That shows that you're interested and have sense enough to recognize and use a good resource when you see one :)

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I'm in my last semester of school, and I have to keep reminding myself to continue to do well in my classes even though I kinda have that dark cloud hanging over me waiting to hear back from schools! Gotta find ways to keep motivated =/

The one thing I'm afraid of is asking the PT's that I asked for LOR from 3 times already for another one for next year....:eek:

I think it might be better to shadow a new PT and get a fresh LOR than ask them again. They may not remember your shadowing experience as well after a year or two and won't write letters with much detail. It might be a new way to strengthen your app a bit.

I'm not so sure. Someone who's already written a letter for you multiple times can speak much better to your persistence than someone new. I guess the ultimate would be to do both. Have one from someone who's written them before and can talk about how you've improved, and someone new so the adcoms know you're adding to your experience.

Thank you both! Already signed up to volunteer at another PT clinic, signed up to re-take the GRE middle of May, and re-taking second semester of chemistry this fall for an A this time (the only class I have a C+ in). Definitely not wasting any time moping about not getting in. I think I will have both new and old PTs write LORs for me this time around.

I'm off the waitlist!!!!!! Pacific University here I come!!! :D @foodislife did you get in, too?!!?!

Last edited:
Why can't admissions committees be more transparent? One program won't tell me how many people are on the wait list or when I can expect to hear any updates. Another program is giving me conflicting advice about re-applying (admissions counselor says more classes, program director says don't take more class, just focus on standing out more in the interview). This is so discouraging.

Waitlisted for Thomas Jefferson still waiting but I am prepared for another go round come July

I got off the waitlist yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unreal omg I'm so relieved.

Reactions: 5 users
Congratulations!!!!!
Has anyone heard anything from Western? :)

Congratulations!!!!!
Has anyone heard anything from Western? :)

I got in from Western's waitlist last week, but I just sent them an e-mail withdrawing my application bc I'm going elsewhere..so there's still hope!!

I'm glad there are support systems like this on this forum!
I haven't heard anything from schools yet. I suppose it may still be early for this cycle. I know that a lot of schools will be making decisions within the next couple of months, but I'm getting really anxious and losing confidence.
I'm mentally prepping myself for the fact that I may need to reapply next year.

was hoping this forum will never pertain to me but time has finally come. stay positive my friends. I'm trying as well.

Guys, it's still fairly early in the admissions process. Some schools don't even start looking at apps until January. I wouldn't be too worried yet. If it was February or March, I'd be concerned, but not yet. I know just sitting around waiting for a phone call or e-mail can drive you crazy, especially when you read these forums and people seem to be getting accepted left and right. I applied to 9 schools and haven't heard even a peep out of 7 of them.

You've put the hard work in and have done all that you can. Rest in that. Stressing out and worrying adds zero value to your life.

Reactions: 4 users