Waitlisted at UPenn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redsteven

Ross U SVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received an email from Penn today saying that I was being put on "Hold"

Does anyone have any suggestions/advice as to how I should proceed?

Should I email the admissions office and ask about my chances/rank? Call them?

I know that I should certainly make SOME contact with them... I'm just not sure of the best way to do it.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
They may have changed things but when I applied they accepted some people immediately and other people they were interested in they put on hold. They are waiting to interview other people. The hold list is not the same as a waitlist. I got in off the hold list I don't remember when but well before april 15th.

Good luck!

If it were me, I wouldn't contact them at all. I think they're just letting you know as a courtesy that they aren't discounting you app yet. They are waiting to see what they get with the rest of the interviewees before making a decision on yours yet.

Hang in there! And congrats, you obviously did well in your interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
They may have changed things but when I applied they accepted some people immediately and other people they were interested in they put on hold. They are waiting to interview other people. The hold list is not the same as a waitlist. I got in off the hold list I don't remember when but well before april 15th.

Good luck!

Are you sure that the Hold list is separate from the waitlist? Did you know anyone who was put on the waitlist (not hold) at Penn?
I'm definitely glad to hear it didn't take you until April to hear back.

And thanks EqSci. I still think maybe I should contact them in some form though to make sure they remember me :)

Angelo, did you contact the admissions office when you were put on hold?

No problem. I agree with Angelo, it's different than the waitlist. They can't really put people on the waitlist until they accept their class, I would think. And they can't accept their class without interviewing everyone first!

I would venture a guess that as soon as the rest of the interviews are over you will contacted and accepted, waitlisted, or denied.

pretty sure being on hold and being on the waitlist are two separate things, at least at UPenn.

good luck! my friend and classmate got in after being on hold AND waitlisted. :]

Last edited:
pretty sure being on hold and being on the waitlist are two separate things, at least at UPenn.

good luck! my friend and classmate got in after being on hold AND waitlisted. :]

If you get a chance, would you be able to ask your friend if he/she took any action after being put on Hold (or waitlisted, for that matter)?

thanks

Hmmm...this is the first year I've heard of the "hold" list - does it have something to do w/ how they review apps after interviews - "yes" from one person and "maybe" from another means "hold" vs. two maybes = waitlist??
Just guessing here, trying to pass the time.... I haven't even received interviews news yet :(

I am also on "Hold" Status at Penn! :eek::confused:
wish they would just let me in already! I was wondering myself what I should do, if I should contact them or not, but at the end of the email it said "we appreciate your patience in our admissions process." I was thinking that really means don't call and harass us everyday, like I really would like to do. So I am not sure what I should do, or what I can do to make them remember me! Should I send notes to my interviewers? They did not give me their cards or information, so I would have to stalk them via the internet in order to send them a note.

I did not contact them. They had a form at the interview where we wrote down contact info for that day and that weekend. I wrote down my parents house for that day and my school number for after that. Despite that when they called about acceptances maybe a month later they used my home number and my parents were out of town so I didn't know they called for two weeks!

I know what you mean, bunny. I am a little hesitant to contact them because of that last sentence in the email.

I still think I might email them and ask the to clarify the "Hold" list and ask if they perhaps rank it.

I'll let you know if I decide to contact them.

What I learned from last year: on hold basically means that when they're done interviewing (in late March), they'll re-evaluate the on-hold list. Some of the on-holders will be offered to be placed on the 'alternate list' (but not until April) in the event that seats open up down the road. So from experience, nothing is ranked until they receive replies for the alternate list in April.
Last year, a letter went out on April 1st, giving a deadline of April 11 if you wanted to be on the alternate list.
I requested my rank towards the end of April.
So yes, being 'on hold; and 'waitlist' are 2 separate things...
As difficult as it may be, just have patience with them!
good luck!

What I learned from last year: on hold basically means that when they're done interviewing (in late March), they'll re-evaluate the on-hold list. Some of the on-holders will be offered to be placed on the 'alternate list' (but not until April) in the event that seats open up down the road. So from experience, nothing is ranked until they receive replies for the alternate list in April.
Last year, a letter went out on April 1st, giving a deadline of April 11 if you wanted to be on the alternate list.
I requested my rank towards the end of April.
So yes, being 'on hold; and 'waitlist' are 2 separate things...
As difficult as it may be, just have patience with them!
good luck!

When you requested your rank towards the end of April... what did they say?

And had you contacted them before that about the hold list?

Also, you said that some people on the hold list will be offered a place on the "alternate" list. Is the "alternate" list a wait list? Is anyone who's put on hold actually rejected, or do you just move from hold to accepted or to the waitlist?

Last edited:
When you requested your rank towards the end of April... what did they say?

And had you contacted them before that about the hold list?

Also, you said that some people on the hold list will be offered a place on the "alternate" list. Is the "alternate" list a wait list? Is anyone who's put on hold actually rejected, or do you just move from hold to accepted or to the waitlist?

deep breath!

you will not be rejected after being placed on Hold. as Angelo said, it's a post-interview, pre-decision status. if the committee decides down the road that yes, they do want you, you're in. if they decide that you've met the criteria and would do well, but are not their first choice, you'll be put on the waitlist (or alternate list as 2013 put it).

i wouldn't bother them with questions yet. it wouldn't hurt to call in a few weeks just to see where they are on the 'held' applicants (and get your name in there again), but i don't think it's necessary that you call right away about the hold status.

deep breath!
lol, tell me about it

you will not be rejected after being placed on Hold. as Angelo said, it's a post-interview, pre-decision status. if the committee decides down the road that yes, they do want you, you're in. if they decide that you've met the criteria and would do well, but are not their first choice, you'll be put on the waitlist (or alternate list as 2013 put it).

i wouldn't bother them with questions yet. it wouldn't hurt to call in a few weeks just to see where they are on the 'held' applicants (and get your name in there again), but i don't think it's necessary that you call right away about the hold status.

At first I was SURE that I was going to contact them. I just wasn't sure what I was gong to right.

I've certainly been influenced by everyone's suggestions though.

Now, I'm leaning towards what Optimistic suggested.

If you were to contact them, the only thing I would say is, "Thank you for your consideration, I look forward to hearing from you."

I think it sounds professional, and it's brief enough not to be one of "those" emails that they probably get all the time asking them about the hold list (from people like me).

If you get a chance, would you be able to ask your friend if he/she took any action after being put on Hold (or waitlisted, for that matter)?

thanks

Listen to what Emio says, she knows better than I. But I do believe eventually my friend contacted the admissions office to set up an interview on what she could have done to be a better candidate since she was still waitlisted. They then chose to give her a spot when she came in to talk.

Sorry thats all the wisdom I can offer. Everything will turn out okay! :)