Wake Forest vs. Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aarena1992

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm having the toughest time deciding between Wake Forest (Winston Salem, NC) and Wayne State SOM (Detroit, MI). I've heard very good things about each school. I know Wayne State is about 20K cheaper/year however I will likely be joining the Air Force, so money/tuition isn't really an issue. Although Wake Forest is ranked slightly higher in primary care and research according to US News, what does this mean anyway? Is Wake really the better school? I loved both school upon interview and although Wake Forest really wowed me, they have the extra funds to do so as a private school charging 50K/yr. Also the healthcare scene in Detroit is pretty superb with hundreds of medical facilities and unrivaled clinical hours... I was set on Wake Forest but I'm starting to reconsider and keep going back and forth between the two.

Here's some background: I was born in Washington, PA (near Pittsburgh) and lived there for 8 years, then Philly area for 3 years, then Charlotte, NC for ten years, then Chapel Hill/Durham for 4 years, and finally Detroit area for about a year (yes I like to move around, hence the Air Force). I'm working as an EMT in metro Detroit full time, and also as a waitress in the suburbs. Although I have several friends whom I miss in NC and would love to be near the mountains again, I absolutely LOVE the weather in Michigan, particularly the mild winters, and snowy winters, and beautiful Fall, hell I love it all! All of my coworkers make fun of me for liking the snow so much (and I get a few death threats for wishing for it..). I currently live with my parents but they will likely only be here for another year before they move back to Charlotte with my sister. My brother will likely still live here so I wont be completely alone in the Midwest.

Sorry if that's way too much info, I just think knowing a bit about me might help people help me make an educated decision here! Any input as to the difference between these schools would be GREATLY appreciated! I know in the end that I'll have to make this huge decision, but I really need help here.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're into heavy basic science research, Wake Forest might have the slight edge. Otherwise, I'd say Wayne State all the way. It's cheaper if you change your mind about the military. The clinical experience is unbeatable, especially if you like the patient population you serve as an EMT. There's plenty of clinical research to be had at Wayne State and the surrounding areas. You seem to like Detroit. Seems like a clear choice to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
"will likely join" is not "have joined," so until then Wayne remains 20k cheaper.

Both have fairly low cost of living as well... (bordering on insanely cheap if you want to live in Hamtramck or something at WSU)

If you're into heavy basic science research, Wake Forest might have the slight edge. Otherwise, I'd say Wayne State all the way. It's cheaper if you change your mind about the military. The clinical experience is unbeatable, especially if you like the patient population you serve as an EMT. There's plenty of clinical research to be had at Wayne State and the surrounding areas. You seem to like Detroit. Seems like a clear choice to me.

I wouldn't be so sure in regard to research opportunities. Wayne is a pretty massive university.

Hey guys I'm having the toughest time deciding between Wake Forest (Winston Salem, NC) and Wayne State SOM (Detroit, MI). I've heard very good things about each school. I know Wayne State is about 20K cheaper/year however I will likely be joining the Air Force, so money/tuition isn't really an issue. Although Wake Forest is ranked slightly higher in primary care and research according to US News, what does this mean anyway? Is Wake really the better school? I loved both school upon interview and although Wake Forest really wowed me, they have the extra funds to do so as a private school charging 50K/yr. Also the healthcare scene in Detroit is pretty superb with hundreds of medical facilities and unrivaled clinical hours... I was set on Wake Forest but I'm starting to reconsider and keep going back and forth between the two.

Here's some background: I was born in Washington, PA (near Pittsburgh) and lived there for 8 years, then Philly area for 3 years, then Charlotte, NC for ten years, then Chapel Hill/Durham for 4 years, and finally Detroit area for about a year (yes I like to move around, hence the Air Force). I'm working as an EMT in metro Detroit full time, and also as a waitress in the suburbs. Although I have several friends whom I miss in NC and would love to be near the mountains again, I absolutely LOVE the weather in Michigan, particularly the mild winters, and snowy winters, and beautiful Fall, hell I love it all! All of my coworkers make fun of me for liking the snow so much (and I get a few death threats for wishing for it..). I currently live with my parents but they will likely only be here for another year before they move back to Charlotte with my sister. My brother will likely still live here so I wont be completely alone in the Midwest.

Sorry if that's way too much info, I just think knowing a bit about me might help people help me make an educated decision here! Any input as to the difference between these schools would be GREATLY appreciated! I know in the end that I'll have to make this huge decision, but I really need help here.
My (biased) opinion is that you should choose Wayne State. We have all kinds of research if you are interested in that, some really good opportunities depending on what specialty you decide on. I've been told that we also have a great clinical experience. My understanding is that the clinical experience is quite diverse as well. We have Henry Ford, the Detroit Medical Center, Oakwood, St John Health, the VA, and Beaumont all as part of our clinical network. Beaumont is no longer a site for Yr 3 required electives but is still considered a home elective site without going through VSAS. I've heard that all the sites provide great experiences but they all have their own different "flavor". Let me know if you have any questions about Wayne and I will do my best to answer them

Thank you so much for responding guys! Is Wake Forest really that much better an all around school than Wayne? I know it's slightly higher in the rankings but how much do rankings really matter? Also is student satisfaction/life different at either school? Anyone know more about curriculum differences? I know Wayne will give me a better clinical experience and frankly I'm not all that into research or primary care atm.

Wayne's classes are curved and the grading is ABCDF in years 1 and 2; not sure about internal ranking but it wouldn't surprise me (maybe others can clarify). Lecture attendance is required. I've heard that that this makes things very stressful. You would get awesome clinical training at Wayne's affiliated hospitals, though. Wake is true P/F and perhaps slightly stronger for research. If it were me, I'd pick Wake.

Last edited:
Wayne's classes are curved and the grading is ABCDF in years 1 and 2; not sure about internal ranking but it wouldn't surprise me (maybe others can clarify). Lecture attendance is required. I've heard that that this makes things very stressful. You would get awesome clinical training at Wayne's affiliated hospitals, though. Wake is true P/F and perhaps slightly stronger for research. If it were me, I'd pick Wake.
Your information is incorrect. Wayne is honors/pass/fail in years 1 and 2. Lecture attendance is not required.

Wake unless you favor Detroit for some reason. More opportunities out of wake IMO. But then again I'm from the region so wake's reputation is particularly strong here.

Your information is incorrect. Wayne is honors/pass/fail in years 1 and 2. Lecture attendance is not required.

Is that a recent thing? If so, awesome. I'm just repeating what my friends who went there told me.

Is that a recent thing? If so, awesome. I'm just repeating what my friends who went there told me.
Not sure when they changed over! Just know that's how it is now