WAMC 2027, help with choosing schools, etc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ch3yruh

Tuskegee c/o 2027 🐾
Reaction score
Hi!! Long time lurker but this is my first time posting on here. This will be my 3rd cycle applying (still haven’t heard from LMU, western, or tufts, but assuming I will probably get rejected, I want to work on next years apps. I had already heard from multiple other schools as well denying me.) 1st cycle applied in 2019 and 2nd cycle applied 2021.

Just some background about me:

GPA/GRE:

• Undergrad was not so great. I was in Army ROTC (mainly to get an academic scholarship) so that took over a lot of responsibility and thus caused me to put less focus on grades. I had an upward trend toward the last year of my undergrad (did 4.5 years). And I retook multiple classes and also took classes at community college to boost some of my prereq science grades. Due to my grades being so low, I did a file review with Oregon after the 1st cycle and they suggested either taking more upper div science classes to boost my science gpa or doing a masters heavy in science classes. I chose the latter and I am currently in the last year at my Laboratory Animal Science masters program and have had straight As since then. Still I feel like in the middle of my program my grades overall (including undergrad, grad, and post back retakes) aren’t that competitive.
  • According to VMCAS these are my grade calculations:
  • Graduate GPA: 3.88
  • Overall Cumulative GPA: 2.81
  • Overall Science GPA: 2.68
  • Calculating my last 45 right now(self calculation): 3.56
  • Calculating last 45 (assuming I get all A’s in the last semester of my masters): 3.72
  • So in regards to my grades, even after I finish my masters, I feel like it will boost my last 45 a lot but not so my cumulative/science.
  • GRE scores:
  • I took them twice but overall best scores are 153 V/152 Q/ 4.0 W
Experiences:

• There’s A LOT. Like I don’t think this part is a problem but overall here is the breakdown
  • 2360 hours in Animal Experience – internship with goats, internship at wildlife center (mainly birds), animal shelter volunteering(dogs/cats), and a veterinary medicine immersion camp in HS (dogs, cats, cattle)
  • 3638 hours in Extracurriculars – various HS sports and clubs, ROTC events in college, ROTC leadership positions, anime club officer in college
  • 1713 hours in Employment (non animal related) - Army Reserves (part time), dishwasher during college, retail store
  • 360 hours Research – class research, undergraduate research in lab with bees/flowers/pollination, and then conducted my own research for senior practicum with cows
  • 3855 hours in Veterinary experience – most of that comes from working in a small animal vet clinic (dog, cats, rabbits), but I have also some from working with laboratory animals in my masters program (rabbits, mice/rats, NHPs), shadowing at a clinic on a military base and various other clinics before getting an actual job(dogs/cats), and volunteering with cow research and helping veterinarian insert urinary catheters there.
Achievements:

• Korean defense medal
  • Army reserves component overseas training ribbon
  • Undergraduate research award
  • Army service ribbon
  • National defense service medal
  • ROTC certificate of achievement
  • Army reserve officers training corp 3 year scholarship
  • Then various other HS sports related awards
LORs

• Based off the 1st cycle file review from Oregon, they noted that my LORs spoke very highly of me. But these are from the 2nd cycle.
  • 2 from veterinarians that I have worked with for the past 2 years at my job
  • 1 from academic director of masters program
  • 1 from army reserves supervisor
  • 1 from research mentor
Personal statement

• I talked about my journey to wanting to become a veterinarian, through my experiences, especially in research throughout undergrad and through the masters program that Im in.
  • Again based off the 1st cycle file review (before masters program), they noted that my essays were very well written.

SO after all that being said, I feel like for the 2nd cycle I did not choose wisely in the schools I wanted to attend. I thought applying to more would give me a better chance of getting in but, nonetheless, here I am. I applied to UC davis (im a CA resident), western, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, midwestern, Arizona, LMU, tufts, cornell, Minnesota, and Illinois. I wanted to focus on schools that didn’t require GRE (since I thought mine were not that competitive) and schools that took a more holistic approach and that didn’t have a GPA requirement.

Do you guys have ideas of how I should proceed? I am thinking that I should retake the GRE to help that offset my grades and give me better options with other schools that do require the GRE. But I think it would be wise to look at schools that also focus on last 45 credits too. And with GPA in general, I feel like it wouldn’t do much if I start retaking some classes that I did poor in like Calculus and physics? (I already retook gen chem/ochem and biology)

Overall, I would like your recommendations on what are smart schools to apply to next cycle with all this in mind. I would consider international schools (like SGU), but I would have to keep in mind my Army responsibilities as I would have to drill one weekend a month.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.