This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed21medlife

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I would appreciate any and all advice/help about this. I would prefer to go to a medical school in California and would prefer MD but I don't know realistically what my chances are and if my only hope are DO schools in CA. I wouldn't mind MD schools in other states but don't know if I have a chance for lower-tier MD.
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: 3.47 cGPA, 3.31 sGPA (just began taking post-bacc classes too but have no grades yet)
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 503 (127/124/124/128)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): CA
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: URM (Mexican and Iranian)
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: upper UC school
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 100 hours from hospital volunteering; 400+ hours from volunteering at free medical clinic for the underserved populations; MA for almost 2 years (600 hours)
  7. Research experience and productivity: have approximately 2 years of research experience but nothing too big
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: going to start shadowing soon (hoping to get at least 50 hours)
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: nothing yet but I'm planning on getting at least 100 hours during my gap year(s) if not more
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): nothing yet but I am hoping to tutor/mentor young kids in underserved neighborhoods
  11. Relevant honors or awards: Dean's Honors 3x
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important: I am currently on track to get a medical scribing job that I plan to do for the next 2 years at least and am debating on taking the MCAT again because I am not happy with my score and think I could get at least 510+ (would this increase my chances?)
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.