MD & DO WAMC 3.59/3.075 519 MCAT low gpa/high (?) MCAT with lots of red flags, institutional action (details given)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rawrosaur

Reaction score
Please do not quote for privacy!

Hello, I'm a 2021 undergraduate non-trad looking for advice. C in Chem grades across all four years brought GPA down, with no upward trend.

I believe there are a few issues with my overall app. I bolded things that may be red flags due to being started recently or other issues.

General major issues include no long-term commitments or continuous activity. I am applying this cycle. I recognize that waiting for another cycle may make me far more competitive, and I would like to hear if anyone feels strongly that I should wait and why. I am applying both DO and MD.

1. 3.598 or 3.612 cGPA if including dual enrollment credit (from high school), 3.075 or 3.260 sGPA with dual enrollment
  2. 519 MCAT, one attempt, 128/128/128/131
  3. State of Residence AL (aiming for UAB Heersink)
  4. ORM Asian female
  5. T10 Undergrad
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer) - 440 hours as of 3/1/24
    1. Nurse Assistant/PCT in the NICU - 307 hours as of March, 600 hours by application submit, December 2023 - current - not too interaction with patients because they are nonverbal babies, if that is an issue; I do interact with lots of parents and grandparents, and go the extra mile with getting items for them if they need it; I also interact with fellows and residents, all who are very willing to answer my questions and are incredibly kind; I shadow rounds when I finish my work tasks and see some pretty niche cases.
    2. Hospice Office Volunteer - 97 hours, Sept-Nov 2023 - I had no transportation (I used a bike), so I did not see any patients. I attended IDG meetings and was able to ask social workers about their careers (was interested due to being psych); I stocked materials and called care centers and caregivers weekly to provide support (I needed refills or supplies); I painted small art pieces for grieving families. Maybe this is not clinical experience?
    3. Hospital Volunteer, Aug 2018-Jan 2019 - 40 hours, little patient interaction due to it being ambulatory surgery, just helped check in pts and provide compassionate company to waiting family members, walked lost patients to correct wing of hospital, showed family to debriefing rooms after surgery
  7. Research experience and productivity - 450 hours
    1. Biology lab 2017-mid 2018, 200 (probably more) hours, did basic bench stuff, was acknowledged in one paper for contributions to sorting Meta-cyc visual data using Adobe Illustrator
    2. Clinical Psych lab, 250 hours, we were researching a new DSM diagnosis so lots of groundwork stuff was being done that I was able to witness; worked a lot with neuro department; got to participate in discussions for new research and potential avenues to explore, mostly helped clean data and check Redcap logic tree for survey inconsistencies
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented - 44 hours w/o IM hours
    1. Scheduled for ob-gyn 12 hours in April
    2. Geriatrics, 12 hours, Fall 2019
    3. Pediatric Neuro-opthalmologist, 20 hours, Summer 2019
    4. Internal Medicine, 10 hours, summer before undergrad (2017) so probably cannot include?
    5. Can I include time spent on rounds with the Neonatal team where I work? ~4 hours, have also requested to shadow the neonatal attending
    6. Pending schedule with DO physician
  9. Non-clinical volunteering - 120 hours w/o service learning
    1. Local Soup Kitchen - 20 hours, Feb 2023-current
    2. Music at retirement homes, food drive concerts -100 hours, through my college choir
    3. Tutoring and Classroom Assisting - 20 hours, through a service learning requirement as part of a class, Jan - May 2019 (can I include this?)
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. University ECs:
      1. Choir; photographer and student conductor, 2017-2021, restarted choir activities by joining hospital employee choir Feb 2023, ~500 hours
      2. Acapella group 2017-2019, left and created a new group Spring 2019-Spring 2020 open to anyone with no auditions; group ended due to Covid. I gave free private singing lessons during this time to help with club members' singing, ~200 hours
      3. Student Gov Senator, 2017-19
      4. Dorm Council Secretary, 2018-2019 transitioned to President due to pres moving dorms in 2019, President 2019 until Covid in 2020, ~100 hrs
      5. Chem 101 Tutor (HAHA!!) and Physics (mechanics) tutor, 2019, ~ probably 15 hours?
      6. Graphic Design lab consultant and lab manager, 2018-2021, >1000 hours
    2. Gap Year Activities: Please see paragraphs below.
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    1. One 2k scholarship from undergrad institution, must be applied for, to someone who has made a valuable contribution in Asian Studies
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    1. Possible need to report administrative action:
      1. Victim of relationship violence at uni; the perpetrator was in some of my science classes which affected my studies and definitely lead to low self-esteem in Chem. University placed a non-contact order between us.
Gap Year Details:
Due to my abysmal grades in chemistry, I thought I wasn’t right for a career in medicine. As a result, especially because Covid limited job fairs and other such opportunities, I took a contracted job offer from a previous internship from study abroad to work as a graphic designer, which flowed neatly from my college part-time job as a graphic design consultant (>1000 hrs). I worked there from September 2020 to September 2021.

In October 2021, I set up a Youtube channel and quickly grew. As a result, I was invited to join a gaming events startup as a producer and asset creator and created animated video graphics and helped run events. I moved to where the organization was based to continue growing it, but company fell into the red quickly after I joined and no one was receiving salaries. I then supported myself by teaching toddlers survival swimming. In June 2022, after leaving the game events startup, I found a job that home tutored a neurodivergent elementary schooler with delayed reading and math skills. I taught him music and remedial reading/writing/mathematics and cursive. Through the family of that child, I joined a mortgage company they were starting in August 2022, and it was only me and the broker trying to get loans approved. The broker was overwhelmed and couldn’t train me properly, so a lot of my early work was really criticized. They ended up not wanting to pay me for any of my work (if you would like more detail on this I can post a follow up comment) and since there was no signed contract for employment, I ended up not getting paid at all (should I put this as an unpaid internship?) (I was close with this family so it was a rough situation for me to go after them for payment).

After almost 1.5 years of limited income, I was quite burned out, so I joined a friend’s admissions consulting startup part-time only in Feb 2023 and did some light marketing and admissions consulting work. After some interpersonal issues arose, I had to leave that company (amicably) in May 2023. I started considering medicine again because I missed the intellectual challenge that science provides. My parents were super happy to hear that (the stereotype is very real with my family) and pushed me to take the break in employment to prepare for the MCAT. I took three months from June to August doing nothing but studying because I knew if I were going to pursue this I had to give some proof that I could do medical school, since my GPA would not be doing me any favors.

I jumped right into certified nursing aide school right after that from September to October to try and get some clinical exposure regardless of whether I had done well on the MCAT or not, because I wanted to be sure medicine was right for me. By the end of the two-month course, while we were doing clinicals, my score arrived, which, along with the amazing experience of being part of a healthcare team taking care of patients, cemented my determination to do medicine.

While attending the CNA course, from Sept to November, I also got a volunteer opportunity at a hospice as an office assistant. I was unable to meet patients due to not having reliable transportation (I was using an electric bike and couldn’t travel more than 20 miles round trip, and anything above 10 miles one way would take me 45 minutes). I was able to place weekly calls to caregivers to check in on them, though, and attended weekly meetings with the doctors to hear about the patient population. The bulk of my work actually ended up being tasks like improving the nurse supply room, stocking, and bereavement art for families that had lost their loved ones that year. I spent 97 hours total at that hospice. Interestingly, both the hospice and the CNA school were run by women. After my brutal experiences in my previous startups, the camaraderie, support, and encouragement from these women-led spaces were really welcoming and I felt motivated to reenter the workforce. Considering my past experience with domestic violence, I realized I really wanted to keep working with women (it turns out that many of the other women I worked with also experienced relationship violence or sexual abuse, and we really connected with and supported one another). So uplifting other women and working with a female/female-identifying population is what I am aiming for and what I am trying to center my app around, but the issue is that I feel like my experiences don’t have the longevity or adequate amount of time to prove that this is what I want to do.

After feeling motivated to find real employment, I applied to CNA positions and especially applied to the Women and Infants Center in November at UAB Hospital and got a position at the Neonatal ICU. I am super happy to be there and enjoy the work since it is working directly with the population I am invested in. I moved there in December and took some time to settle in and get my ducks in a row, so I only just started on pre-medical activities such as community service this past February. I also applied to work at a women’s homeless shelter here and was just approved to join their list of volunteers, so that activity is starting, but only now.

I guess generally, I am worried that my experiences will look rushed and ingenious to an admissions committee due to ramping up only now, in March of 2024, when I will be submitting my app in June. I would love to hear the opinions and criticisms of those who are experienced with applications here.

I am also worried about fulfilling the science recommendation letter requirement. It has been three years since I saw a professor, let alone a science one. Due to qualms over cost and poor planning, I could only take a course this summer, so I could ask a professor then. But wouldn’t the letters need to be sent out with my application in June? Or can I wait until after I send out my application to send letters of recommendation? I am confusing myself with all the answers I am seeing on Reddit. I did get a prof from my undergrad to agree to a letter, but they said it would not be very personal or specific. Should I refrain from using their letter?

Potential School List:
UAB
USA
DO schools in Alabama
Tulane (chosen for relatively "lower" median GPA)
Virginia Tech (chosen for relatively "lower" median GPA)
LECOM
Michigan State COM
Rowan University SOM
North Texas at Fort Worth COM
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate any input, so please speak freely!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You could include your hospice hours under non clinical volunteering. What was the Institutional action where you attended school ?

Reactions: 1 user
I recognize that waiting for another cycle may make me far more competitive, and I would like to hear if anyone feels strongly that I should wait and why. I am applying both DO and MD.
You are on target with the weaknesses of your application. Having more stability in your clinical and nonclinical experience will strengthen your application.

Which experiences are you finding personal meaning in your activities? How many hours have you completed? I don't usually consider anyone who spent fewer than 50 hours as really enough to gain insight about the position. (That's about 7 days of full time work.) One should get a feel for a job after about 250 hours (4-5 weeks full-time).

How is your student conduct office documenting your IA?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed with the above. It sounds like you have a strong narrative and mission fit that'd make for a good personal statement/secondaries, but I would give it some more time, both to give yourself some space and so that you can apply from the best possible position (assuming your MCAT isn't expiring, of course).

Is the IA in question your no-contact order? If so, not sure if you'd need to explain it but given that you are the survivor here I don't see any schools holding that against you. When it comes around to the application, you can included a blurb to explain why some of your grades were low and it appears you have a very valid reason for that.

Finally with regards to the letter, my understanding is that you're not marked complete at any school until all application materials are received (these include your primary, secondary, transcripts, MCAT, any situational judgement tests, and yes, your letters of rec.). Given that it wouldn't be wise to delay your application, I'd lead towards using the professor who already agreed to it, and maybe also contacting your psych PI as they may be able to give a stronger one. I would also consult with your undergrad's prehealth office as they may provide further assistance and/or facilitate a committee letter (mine did)

You are on target with the weaknesses of your application. Having more stability in your clinical and nonclinical experience will strengthen your application.

Which experiences are you finding personal meaning in your activities? How many hours have you completed? I don't usually consider anyone who spent fewer than 50 hours as really enough to gain insight about the position. (That's about 7 days of full time work.) One should get a feel for a job after about 250 hours (4-5 weeks full-time).

How is your student conduct office documenting your IA?
Hi MrSmile, thanks for the reply and advice. Apologies for typos and lack of formatting as I am on mobile.
The paid clinical position is very meaningful to me because it’s been a great place to grow and my first experience working with a team larger than twenty people. However, I have heard UAB does not like paid positions very much. I really enjoy volunteering at the soup kitchen since my family grew up with food insecurity and financial strain; having nutritious food easily available to me is important especially since I have an eating disorder. I find being able to serve food to those in need highly meaningful and have completed 21 hours. I should definitely have more than 50 hours by the time I submit my application in June, but I am still worried adcoms will look at the start dates and feel that it was disingenuous. I also find choral activities, and especially being a leader in them, meaningful due to how closely singing ability can be tied to self-esteem, and I am always trying to raise people’s self esteem (in a genuine way). I love to share the experience of making music and have requested to be more involved in the employee choir as a volunteer. I will be starting with the women’s homeless shelter on Thursday as part of their volunteering board, and will be involved in food preparation, fundraising, and group therapy, which will be meaningful to me due to the population I’ll be serving, and per your advice will be trying to gain more than 50 hours before June as well.

It is a little unfortunate I was not proactive(?) enough to have these activities start earlier than they are, but I did only just figure out my personal mission recently (about Nov 2023). My family and spouse are highly supportive of me trying to get in this cycle due to me being older, and I do not mind having to be a reapplicant despite knowing it may lower my chances next cycle. My parents are already in their 60s and I’d like for them to see their grandchildren before they can’t see them anymore (I have asked many other women in medicine about the difficulties of having children during residency and am prepared to do that). If you truly think I would benefit far more greatly from waiting a cycle please feel free to give it to me straight! I am not really invested in prestige (just my best possible option to make match easier for me, I guess).

As far as I was made aware, there are no records of no-contact directives at that university unless there was legal action taken, of which there were none. I have someone from prehealth advising asking on my behalf about details regarding reporting and what records if any exist but have not heard back yet.

If it helps, I am definitely planning on boosting any hours needed in the next two months. I applied to be a hospital volunteer at UAB but it seems they are swamped and haven’t heard back yet even after following up. I will be seeking other opportunities this weekend.

Again, thank you for the help (and anyone else’s).

Last edited:
Agreed with the above. It sounds like you have a strong narrative and mission fit that'd make for a good personal statement/secondaries, but I would give it some more time, both to give yourself some space and so that you can apply from the best possible position (assuming your MCAT isn't expiring, of course).

Is the IA in question your no-contact order? If so, not sure if you'd need to explain it but given that you are the survivor here I don't see any schools holding that against you. When it comes around to the application, you can included a blurb to explain why some of your grades were low and it appears you have a very valid reason for that.

Finally with regards to the letter, my understanding is that you're not marked complete at any school until all application materials are received (these include your primary, secondary, transcripts, MCAT, any situational judgement tests, and yes, your letters of rec.). Given that it wouldn't be wise to delay your application, I'd lead towards using the professor who already agreed to it, and maybe also contacting your psych PI as they may be able to give a stronger one. I would also consult with your undergrad's prehealth office as they may provide further assistance and/or facilitate a committee letter (mine did)
Thanks for the advice and input. I am reaching out to my psych PI and to a professor I had two psych classes with. My MCAT was taken September 2023 so should be safe for a while.

Yes, the IA is the no contact order through the Title IX office. I worry that it may need to be reported as the perpetrator actually was the one who instigated the order against me. From memory I believe the office was very inclined to go through with the order due to reports from other students about an altercation where I was being shoved and my account of the relationship, but memory may serve me wrong. I am currently in contact with the advising office as well and they are helping me with a lot of this, but can no longer provide a committee letter due to me being out of school too long. I’ve really liked the advice I was seeing on this forum and wanted second and third opinions/varied perspectives, so that’s why I am also here instead of just relying on the advising office.

Thanks so much for the input and clarification on submitting applications!

Last edited:
You could include your hospice hours under non clinical volunteering. What was the Institutional action where you attended school ?
Hi Faha, I gave a quick summary about the IA in the reply quoted below. I will include hospice hours under non clinical volunteering, thank you so much for the input.

Thanks for the advice and input. I am reaching out to my psych PI and to a professor I had two psych classes with. My MCAT was taken September 2023 so should be safe for a while.

Yes, the IA is the no contact order through the Title IX office. I see it being needed to be reported as the perpetrator actually was the one who instigated the order against me. From memory I believe the office was very inclined to go through with the order due to reports from other students about an altercation where I was being shoved and my account of the relationship, but memory may serve me wrong. I am currently in contact with the advising office as well and they are helping me with a lot of this, but can no longer provide a committee letter due to me being out of school too long. I’ve really liked the advice I was seeing on this forum and wanted second and third opinions/varied perspectives, so that’s why I am also here instead of just relying on the advising office.

Thanks so much for the input and clarification on submitting applications!

Last edited:
As far as I was made aware, there are no records of no-contact directives at that university unless there was legal action taken, of which there were none. I have someone from prehealth advising asking on my behalf about details regarding reporting and what records if any exist but have not heard back yet.
If your student conduct office does not have an institutional action against you, you don't have one. A no-contact directive does not usually fall under an "institutional action" by itself. Let me know if your prehealth advisors say otherwise.

The paid clinical position is very meaningful to me because it’s been a great place to grow and my first experience working with a team larger than twenty people. However, I have heard UAB does not like paid positions very much.
Most schools don't care if you get paid or not. Ask UAB directly rather than rely on hearsay. Working in a NICU is clinical experience, but sure... find some other experiences where your patients can try to talk with you. That said, your hospice work shows the other life extreme so it's not that critical.
I really enjoy volunteering at the soup kitchen since my family grew up with food insecurity and financial strain; having nutritious food easily available to me is important especially since I have an eating disorder. I find being able to serve food to those in need highly meaningful and have completed 21 hours. I should definitely have more than 50 hours by the time I submit my application in June, but I am still worried adcoms will look at the start dates and feel that it was disingenuous.
I don't think adcoms will think the work is disingenuous, but they may wonder why this activity started so recently if you would find it meaningful. No one is going to debate your childhood challenges as impactful experiences, and if you only recently had time, that's fine. However, the screen-out of 150 hours by submission is common. The more hours you have in an activity, the easier it is to argue its significance and meaning in your "narrative." Where you spend your time is where your passions lie.

Keep going with your shelter volunteer work. This combined with your food distribution activity needs to be 150+ hours to avoid getting screened out, and the closer you get to 250-300, the better.

It seems based on your comments, UAB is the closest and most convenient place where you would attend medical school. I would connect with their admissions team and any student orgs, including any women-in-medicine mentoring groups, about your approach.

It is a little unfortunate I was not proactive(?) enough to have these activities start earlier than they are, but I did only just figure out my personal mission recently (about Nov 2023).
That's okay. There are a lot of people who don't figure that out until they are older anyway and have had several impactful life experiences (which it seems you have had). This could even change after you graduate from medical school. What I want to know is how you are investing in yourself given that you have a debt number that will stare you in the pocketbook.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Alabama
South Alabama
Belmont
Alice Walton (when it opens)
TCU
Tulane
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
Albany
Hofstra
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
For DO schools I suggest these:
ACOM
WCU-COM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
PCOM (all schools)
AZCOM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
MU-COM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
LECOM

If your student conduct office does not have an institutional action against you, you don't have one. A no-contact directive does not usually fall under an "institutional action" by itself. Let me know if your prehealth advisors say otherwise.

Most schools don't care if you get paid or not. Ask UAB directly rather than rely on hearsay. Working in a NICU is clinical experience, but sure... find some other experiences where your patients can try to talk with you. That said, your hospice work shows the other life extreme so it's not that critical.

I don't think adcoms will think the work is disingenuous, but they may wonder why this activity started so recently if you would find it meaningful. No one is going to debate your childhood challenges as impactful experiences, and if you only recently had time, that's fine. However, the screen-out of 150 hours by submission is common. The more hours you have in an activity, the easier it is to argue its significance and meaning in your "narrative." Where you spend your time is where your passions lie.

Keep going with your shelter volunteer work. This combined with your food distribution activity needs to be 150+ hours to avoid getting screened out, and the closer you get to 250-300, the better.

It seems based on your comments, UAB is the closest and most convenient place where you would attend medical school. I would connect with their admissions team and any student orgs, including any women-in-medicine mentoring groups, about your approach.

That's okay. There are a lot of people who don't figure that out until they are older anyway and have had several impactful life experiences (which it seems you have had). This could even change after you graduate from medical school. What I want to know is how you are investing in yourself given that you have a debt number that will stare you in the pocketbook.

Hi Mr.Smile,

Thanks again for your input, especially for those articles. I skimmed them, liked them a lot, and will refer to them throughout the writing process. I will reach out to UAB admissions and ask about the paid experience. As for finding exposure to actual patient encounters, I will be able to float to other units in the hospital by the end of this month, so I will definitely be picking up shifts in other departments to supplement. I got some exposure to caring for adult patients during clinicals in my CNA course, 32 hours. Is this worth mentioning as an activity in its own section on the application? (I was planning on doing so.)

The work at the soup kitchen started recently partly due to my financial position becoming more stable and partly due to spending time settling in after moving. Volunteering where I lived before was difficult due to my lack of transportation. Will this come off as an "excuse" to adcoms/is it off-putting to you to hear that? If so, can I try to find a better way to spin it?

What I want to know is how you are investing in yourself given that you have a debt number that will stare you in the pocketbook.

I didn't quite understand this, could you clarify? Sorry for not understanding.

Thanks again Mr.Smile, I appreciate how detailed you are responding to my thread :D

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Alabama
South Alabama
Belmont
Alice Walton (when it opens)
TCU
Tulane
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
Albany
Hofstra
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
For DO schools I suggest these:
ACOM
WCU-COM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
PCOM (all schools)
AZCOM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
MU-COM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
LECOM

Thank you so much Faha. I appreciate your taking the time to make this list!

How are you planning to manage the debt incurred for attending medical school, especially given your personal or family finances?

This is certainly a concern of mine. I have some interest in the HPSP scholarship and already attended an informal info session with an army branch recruiter and MD. If I am able to gain admittance to UAB my tuition cost should be very manageable with student loans. I do have the gracious support of my s/o and parents towards living expenses (s/o is happy to let me consider costs of application and tuition first in managing my finances, and my parents should have some more financial freedom by the time I matriculate, and have already stated they want to help).

Do you qualify for FAP? That could certainly help when paying for your medical school application fees. Also, maybe it's just me but I don't understand how those subsection scores add to a 519 (128+128+128+131 = 515)? Also this is my personal opinion but there is a "impactful experiences" section and a "ses disadvantages" section where you can go into more detail about some of your circumstances that would be able to ease (hopefully most) worries that the AdCom would have about your level of commitment to these activities. Best of luck on this cycle - I hope you get in!

Last edited:
Do you qualify for FAP? That could certainly help when paying for your medical school application fees. Also, maybe it's just me but I don't understand how those subsection scores add to a 519 (128+128+128+131 = 515)? Also this is my personal opinion but there is a "impactful experiences" section and a "ses disadvantages" section where you can go into more detail about some of your circumstances that would be able to ease (hopefully most) worries that the AdCom would have about your level of commitment to these activities. Best of luck on this cycle - I hope you get in!
I believe my parents’ income would put me just barely above FAP :’( and my scores were actually 129, 129, 129, 132, sorry!

Hi @Mr.Smile12 @Faha and anyone else,

I would really appreciate some input on this crossroads I have now encountered.

My nurse assistant position is on weekends. I was applying for weekday laboratory jobs to help with income and one that researches Rett Syndrome (which primarily affects females) reached out to me with the intent to hire. The PI seems very enthusiastic for me to join. However, due to work classifications at UAB, I would not be able to keep my nurse assistant role in the neonatal unit if I were to accept the laboratory position. The lab does pay a little more. I am just concerned it does not fit in with my application theme (direct service to and involvement with women). You said I should find other experiences where patients can try to talk with me- I could possibly find other volunteering opportunities that may provide this if I join the lab and quit the nurse assistant job, but then I am concerned about the constant hopping around I have exhibited in my application.

Also, I went to a UAB tour day, and they really emphasized service commitments. Keeping my nurse assistant job would let me devote a lot of time to volunteering since I work weekends. But the full-time lab position would possibly limit that. At the same time, I am now on the board for the women's shelter, and having weekends open would allow me time to attend events that can help with networking and fundraising for the shelter.

I am really struggling with this decision and would love some insight.

My nurse assistant position is on weekends. I was applying for weekday laboratory jobs to help with income and one that researches Rett Syndrome (which primarily affects females) reached out to me with the intent to hire. The PI seems very enthusiastic for me to join. However, due to work classifications at UAB, I would not be able to keep my nurse assistant role in the neonatal unit if I were to accept the laboratory position. The lab does pay a little more. I am just concerned it does not fit in with my application theme (direct service to and involvement with women). You said I should find other experiences where patients can try to talk with me- I could possibly find other volunteering opportunities that may provide this if I join the lab and quit the nurse assistant job, but then I am concerned about the constant hopping around I have exhibited in my application.

Also, I went to a UAB tour day, and they really emphasized service commitments. Keeping my nurse assistant job would let me devote a lot of time to volunteering since I work weekends. But the full-time lab position would possibly limit that. At the same time, I am now on the board for the women's shelter, and having weekends open would allow me time to attend events that can help with networking and fundraising for the shelter.

I think as long as you get the experiences that matter that's what you should focus on, even if it doesn't fit into a "neat" box.

You would need a private meeting with someone at UAB about your entire resume, but I never penalize an applicant for earning money. No one should take a vow of poverty to go to medical school.