WAMC? 3.66 cGPA, 3.48sGPA, 516

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WatchHowISoar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!
I am a Caucasian female Florida resident with a slight hearing disability. I have always wanted to go into medicine (hopefully ENT or infectious diseases) and work with patients who are deaf/HoH. I have lots of experience working with children who are deaf/HoH, as well as populations with other disabilities. I have declared a special major in Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences that I had to innovate and defend a curriculum for in front of a committee, as well as propose an honors thesis research project.
Here are my stats:

Year In School: Rising Senior; no gap year
State of Residence: FL
Ethnicity: Caucasian
Education: Top 15 Undergrad; school known for grade deflation and rigorous pre-med curriculum
Programs of Study: Speech and Hearing Sciences Major; Biology Minor
Cumulative GPA: 3.66
Science GPA: 3.48 sGPA
Non-Science GPA: 4.00 (if that matters)
MCAT: 516 (130/127/129/130)

Research:
Term Project Survey with >100 responses; resulting in policy suggestions to university
Honors Thesis to be completed next year: studies in simulated hearing loss and varied spatial frequencies

Volunteering:
~250 hours with populations with auditory and visual disabilities (Does this count as clinical?)
~100 hours with service organizations and science museums
~100 hours as a pre-orientation counselor for students interested in research or medicine

Shadowing:
~75 hours with various physicians through a high school medical academy
~25 hours in Emergency Department
~10 hours with an ENT
Will get more hours this summer

Leadership/Extracurrciulars:
President (1 club for 1 year)
Treasurer (1 club for 1 year)
Secretary (3 clubs for 2 years total), including Alpha Epsilon Delta (Pre-Health Honor Society)
PR Chair (1 club for 1.5 years)

Employment:
Disability Resources Office: 10 hours/week
Biology Lab TA: 6 hours/week
Summer Job at Oral Surgeon's Office: 10 hours/week

Family Members in Medicine:
None

Specialty of Interest:
ENT or infectious diseases

Interest in Rural Health:
No

List of Schools:
FAU
USF
FSU
FIU
UCF
UF
Miami
Emory
Vanderbilt
Baylor
Loyola
OSU
Brown
Rochester
Colorado
Pittsburgh
Wake Forest
UPenn
WashU
Iowa
UNC

Which tier of schools should I be focusing on?

Thanks everyone for your help!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Your a good candidate for the schools in your state

UNC unofficially requires a 3.6/33 OOS just to be considered
Unless you went to Brown that's another easy one to scratch you don't really fit what they look for in their limited spots for their non special program matriculants
Colorado won't be a very high yield option here
Delete WashU and Penn(stats are well off what they target)
If you want reaches you can find better options than Baylor with their small OOS class size and Vandy with their small class size in general and where your stats aren't in their target zone

OOS target schools with an MCAT median around 33 roughly that are OOS friendly and get <10k apps(Einstein SLU etc). Target those you would be most likely to turn down a state school and their juicy in state tuition for

Members don't see this ad :)
Your a good candidate for the schools in your state

UNC unofficially requires a 3.6/33 OOS just to be considered
Unless you went to Brown that's another easy one to scratch you don't really fit what they look for in their limited spots for their non special program matriculants
Colorado won't be a very high yield option here
Delete WashU and Penn(stats are well off what they target)
If you want reaches you can find better options than Baylor with their small OOS class size and Vandy with their small class size in general and where your stats aren't in their target zone

OOS target schools with an MCAT median around 33 roughly that are OOS friendly and get <10k apps(Einstein SLU etc). Target those you would be most likely to turn down a state school and their juicy in state tuition for
Would you be able to elaborate what Brown tends to look for in their non special program matriculants? Thanks!

Quirky, humanities majors.

In addition the majority of their class who isn't part of their special programs also took 3+ years after graduating. Full of people who did things like Peace Corps TFA etc. They also seem to like the graduates of high end private schools and those from the New England area

Their class profile on their website also provides some good insight
https://www.brown.edu/academics/medical/admission/class-profile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
How is this new list?

FSU
FAU
USF
FIU
UCF
UM
UF
Penn State
Rochester
SLU
Wake Forest
Dartmouth
Mayo
Emory
OSU
Pittsburgh

I see maybe 9 schools on that list you can go in calling targets and say you have a reasonable shot at getting a II at.

That's not terrible in FL at 3.55/35 but you can make things easier and less stressful for yourself by adding another 4-5 target type schools(theyll follow that same criteria I listed earlier). You can add back Loyola, that'd be an example of the type of school to target.

What do you mean by "that's not terrible in FL" and where did you get those numbers (3.55/35)?
I looked at the Prospective Doctor Chance Predictor and according to my stats, only OSU and Pittsburgh were reaches and the rest were targets/undershoots. Also, I'm trying to maximize my list at 15 or 16 schools so are there any schools that are definite takeaways if I want to add Loyola?

516 is a 35 on the old scale I just averaged out both your GPAs as a rough ball park figure

9 schools isn't a bad number for targets it's just you can make things easier on yourself by adding several more

PSU isnt a high yield option. Rather unfavorable OOS app/matriculant ratio and your MCAT is hovering around their 90th percentile. There are better options
Dartmouth and Mayo have pretty small class sizes. Dartmouth tends to take a fair number of non trad types in their class in addition to that while Mayo is just a rather low yield option all around with their class size of 50 and a <3.5 sGPA
Emory and Rochester aren't terrible options but I wouldn't call them targets type schools. Theyre still quite competitive Emory in particular. If you want to keep this list at 15 these might be two to swap out especially if you want to keep Pitt.
You already know Pitt will be a reach

That's where I'd look to cut if you want to optimize your list and include schools like Loyola Tulane Cincinnati etc

Last edited: