WAMC - 3.79/518, VA resident, career changer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snoozyk

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. cGPA: 3.79, sGPA: 3.58 / strong upward trend (3.97 last 100 credits, 4.0 post-bacc)
  2. 518 (130/128/128/132)
  3. VA resident, ORM - white female, career-changer in my early 30's
  4. Clinical experience: 7 years/14,000 hours as a radiation therapist, includes leadership if you count my role as a peer mentor/trainer
  5. Research: Not sure yet how to quantify research hours, but have been acting as a research assistant adjacent to my career for 1.5 years, working on my own project for the past year - upcoming oral presentation at a national conference, 2 case studies, 2nd to mid-author on a few pubs. I was also on the committee to write a Safety White Paper on a novel radiation therapy technique.
  6. Shadowing: 50 hours - rad onc, 4 - IM, 4 - pediatrics
  7. Non-clinical volunteering: 350 hours of Habitat for Humanity including a committee position, 50 hours Crisis Text Line
  8. Hobbies: a very niche type of baking
  9. Awards: Dean's List, recipient of a $5,000 scholarship for clinical excellence
  10. Strong LOR's from my work supervisor, department head (MD), volunteering supervisor, and research mentor (MD)
  11. Possible red flag: entire semester of W's in 2013 - no great explanation here; I had randomly switched my major to mass comm and realized I absolutely hated it. Switched to STEM classes when I returned the next semester and didn't have any issues after that.

School list -

Considering applying early decision to VCU (if recommended after meeting with admissions) due to my spouse working there and both of us having aging parents nearby. But I would love some outside opinions on this before I throw all of my eggs in one basket. I would also appreciate any advice on how to make myself more competitive in general for the upcoming cycle.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

It is usually not a good strategy to apply early decision to a school (unless they encourage you and indicate they are very interested in you) since if you are not accepted then you will be applying late to other schools. I suggest these schools with your stats:
UVA
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Tech
West Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Duke
Emory
Wake Forest
Vanderbilt
USF Morsani