WAMC: 3.8/518 URM Illinois resident (school suggestions welcome!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flipase

Reaction score
Male,URM(Hispanic), no gap yr
IL resident
3.8 cGPAvery solid upward trend
3.75 sGPAlots of 4.0 recent sems
518 MCAT131/127/131/129
320 hrs orgo TA
about 30 hours orgo tutorwas involved here prior to getting accepted as a TA
500 hrs research1 poster, deeply involved on a pretty advanced (and super interesting!!) project. Also recieved a pretty prestigious fellowship
200 hrs hospital volunteeringhigh patient interaction position
50 hrs other clinical volunteerhold a leadership position within this as well
100+ hrs shadowingvariety of specialties here
50 hours non-clin volunterStarted here not long ago, so I will have many hours by time of marticulation
LOR'sI think all will be pretty strong. 1 from PI, 1 from orgo prof/boss(TA), 1 from biochem prof, 1 from hospital volunteer coordinator whom I have worked somewhat closely with, 1 from MD

Members don't see this ad.

You need 150 hours of service orientation activities at submission to avoid getting screened out at most schools: food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you fluent is Spanish ? What is the nature of your non clinical volunteering ?

Not fluent, but it’s a work in progress. Definitely not confident enough to do an interview in spanish. I am 75% and son of immigrant though (i know some people hold on to that sliver of an ethnicity). As far as non clinical, I work in a soup kitchen. I’ve made food, handed it out, and even been back washing dishes.

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Illinois
Northwestern
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
TCU
Mayo
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
Miami
USF Morsani
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
New York Medical College
Dartmouth
Brown
Tufts
Boston University
Quinnipiac
Vermont

Reactions: 1 user
Have you connected with SNMA/LMSA officers at the medical schools near you? Have you attended any pipeline programs that promote health careers for the Latinx community?

Not really, just at one school. I will look more into this. Thanks!