WAMC: 3.82, 514?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imadethis1minago

Reaction score
  • GPA's
    • cGPA: 3.82
    • sGPA: 3.70
  • MCAT (2nd attempt): 514 (increased from a 507)
  • State of residence: Delaware
  • Ethnicity: Other (Middle Eastern) - low SES
  • Volunteering hours:
    • Clinical volunteering: 202 hours
    • Non-clinical volunteering: 145 hours (projected an additional 192 during this gap year)
  • Research experience:
    • 613 hours, including making an abstract and having 2 poster presentations.
    • Wet lab, branched into various sciences/had a lot of responsibility which I touched upon in my essays.
  • Shadowing experiences:
    • 76 hours, various specialties
  • Other extracurricular activities:
    • Included into the non-clinical volunteering, I was a peer mentor for ~20 hours.
  • Honors/awards/anything else:
    • Deans list every semester during college, GPA uptrend (last 2 years were a 4.0), and pell grant!
  • Clinical experience:
    • Medical office assistant: 120 hours
    • Medical assistant during first gap year: 1328 hours
      • Lots of responsibilities, got to assist providers in surgery (dermatology), etc.
    • During second gap year, I am set to begin as a medical assistant in a different specialty.
I was wondering what an okay school list would like? I didn't score as well as I would've liked on this second MCAT retake, so I'm not sure how big I should apply given my score. Please let me know if there is anything more I should provide, but I really appreciate any help!! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Jefferson
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Tulane
TCU
Creighton
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Hackensack
Hofstra
Einstein
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Kaiser
If you applying this year you need to apply in the next week and submit all your secondaries by August.

Reactions: 1 users
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Jefferson
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Tulane
TCU
Creighton
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Hackensack
Hofstra
Einstein
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Kaiser
If you applying this year you need to apply in the next week and submit all your secondaries by August.
Ok got it, thank you for the help!! It means a lot!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I still need details breaking down these 125 hours.
  • The 20 hours from being a peer mentor, I originally included it as non-clinical volunteering because it was unpaid/for no credits. I was able to help out high school kids through the college application process/answer any questions.
  • 10 hours: I helped out at my Universities garden.
  • 27 hours: I was a greeter at a bloodbank, so just helping donors check in/answer questions/calm nerves.
  • 58 hours: I volunteered at a Boys & Girls club/food closet at a community center.
  • 30 hours: I am volunteering at a Crisis hotline currently. This is where I am also getting the additional projected hours from.

The 20 hours from being a peer mentor, I originally included it as non-clinical volunteering because it was unpaid/for no credits. I was able to help out high school kids through the college application process/answer any questions.
  • 10 hours: I helped out at my Universities garden.
  • 27 hours: I was a greeter at a bloodbank, so just helping donors check in/answer questions/calm nerves.
  • 58 hours: I volunteered at a Boys & Girls club/food closet at a community center.
  • 30 hours: I am volunteering at a Crisis hotline currently. This is where I am also getting the additional projected hours from.
Nonclinical service orientation: you need to have at least 150 hours face-to-face to avoid getting screened out at most medical schools. You only have 58 with BGC/food distribution and I may throw your 10 hours of community gardening in. Your work with the blood bank is clinical volunteering. Crisis Text Line is health-adjacent and does not usually involve in-person interactions. Peer mentoring and teaching does not fulfill service orientation (alleviate others' distress) and is an overrepresented activity among prehealth applicants so it doesn't really carry as much weight to stand out.

So to be safe in screening you need 100+ hours. Continue your Boys and Girls Club activity to a total of 150. However, many interviewed applicants will have an additional 100 or more hours and need to show quality of experience and impact.

This is very important to show commitment to serving the community as a leader and not just a physician. This is important for mission fit.