WAMC 3.87, 518, ORM, as a reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigbodybenz

Reaction score
  1. sGPA: 3.83 cGPA 3.87 (upward trend)
  2. MCAT: 518 (129/127/130/132)
  3. Ethnicity and/or race: ORM
  4. Undergraduate institution or category: Small university
  5. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): ~800 hours scribe at an inpatient hospital
  6. Research experience and productivity:
    1. Undergraduate: ~500 hours of psychology research (1 poster presentation)
    2. Current gap year: will have ~2000 hours in a genomics lab, no publication expected unless I continue to work here for at least another year (my project had an unfortunate delay/failure that wasted months of time and work)
  7. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: shadowed ~8 hours in-person during a surgical procedure, ~21 hours online various specialties (I know this probably doesn’t really count)
  8. Non-clinical volunteering: ~250 hours as a classroom aid in a school for children with disabilities
  9. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. ~800 hours leadership in social/professional fraternity
    2. ~300 hours tutor/TA/various teaching positions
    3. Gap year: ~2000 hours research
  10. Relevant honors or awards
    1. Got a small scholarship when I was in undergrad
    2. The Distinguished Achievement Award in Psychology in undergrad for the project I worked on

Hey all, I’m preparing to reapply this upcoming cycle after a relatively unsuccessful cycle thus far. I applied to ~25 MD schools and ~4 DO schools. I currently have 2 MD II, one of which resulted in a WL and the other which I am doing next week, and 1 DO II, which I am also completing next week. I’d love to hear advice/input on where I could have gone wrong this cycle.

A problem with my application not really listed above is that my health committee letter, which contains all my letters of recommendation, was not sent until mid-September. This was the earliest possible date for me (completed all their assignments on time, submitted my application within 1 day of opening, paid the fee on time). While I think this could have definitely hurt the results of my cycle, I don’t want to worry about something I have no control over. I guess another question I have is, should I consider applying again without my committee? I can easily gather my own letter writers (I had to do this anyway), and all I would be missing would be the actual committee letter.

The main thing I’ve done to improve my application during this past cycle is work full-time in a research lab under a medical school institution. I plan to shadow a couple doctors here and there as well before I apply again in May and volunteer at a local hospice as well (probably won’t be able to get many hours before May though). I’ve been debating what I should do this upcoming year while I re-apply again as well. I could continue working in my current lab, but I have to pay a pretty expensive rent to live near the institution. I think it could be better for me to move back home and scribe/MA at an outpatient facility near me to gain a more comprehensive clinical experience, but would love to hear other thoughts as well.

Listed below are the schools I applied to this past cycle. Would love to hear how I can not only improve my strength as an applicant, but how I can modify my school list to give me a better chance next cycle. Thank you for reading this and anything anyone has to offer is greatly appreciated.

1. BU
  2. VCU
  3. UMich
  4. Penn State
  5. Thomas Jefferson (Sidney Kimmel)
  6. Keck USC
  7. Drexel
  8. Case Western
  9. Medical College of Wisconsin
  10. Vermont
  11. Geisinger
  12. Pitt
  13. UMSOM
  14. Hofstra
  15. USF Morsani
  16. Emory
  17. Rochester
  18. Cincinnati
  19. Ohio State
  20. Temple
  21. EVMS
  22. Dartmouth
  23. Albany
  24. Toledo
  25. Iowa
  26. GW
  27. PCOM
  28. LECOM
  29. MSUCOM
  30. Rowan (DO)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be surprised if you did not receive an acceptance from one of those 3 schools. In the meantime accumulate 40 hours of in person primary care shadowing. Also volunteering hours at the hospice would be helpful. Let us know in June if no success.

Reactions: 1 users
I would be surprised if you did not receive an acceptance from one of those 3 schools. In the meantime accumulate 40 hours of in person primary care shadowing. Also volunteering hours at the hospice would be helpful. Let us know in June if no success.
Awesome, I appreciate the hope you've given me for this cycle. Thank you!