MD WAMC: 3.87 cGPA, 3.95 sGPA, 503 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheCerebralAssassin

Reaction score
cGPA: 3.87 and sGPA:3.95

MCAT Score: 503, (C/P:128), (CARS: 125), (B/B: 125), (P/S:125)

State of residence: Florida, but was born in New York

Ethnicity and/or race: White/Italian

Undergraduate institution: University of South Florida

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): Caretaker for my dad after his heart transplant (1500 hours), Pharmacy Technician (500 hours), Cancer Patient Caretaker (1,000 hours), Cancer Patient Support Volunteer (250 hours)

Research experience and productivity: Sudden Cardiac Arrest Lab (100 hours-still doing).

Shadowing experience and specialties represented: Plastic Surgery (300 hours), Pediatric Anesthesiology (25 hours), Immunology (25 hours), Invasive Cardiology (25 hours), General Surgery (25 hours), Neurology (25 hours)

Non-clinical volunteering: Cook and delivery driver for a food bank (800 hours)

Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): Tutor and teaching assistant (3200 hours), Marketing president and member of my fraternity (600 hours), Testicular cancer awareness advocate (400 hours), Advocate for the American Heart Association (100 hours), Volunteer Lead for the 2019 Tampa Bay Heart Walk (10 hours), Co-Captain for USF Relay for Life Team (15 hours), Mentor for underprivileged kids in Tampa Area (50 hours), Mentor for autistic children (100 hours)

Relevant honors or awards: Made the Deans' List for six semesters, recipient of the Bright Futures Scholarship, Winner of USF's Operation Global Action, and graduated Magna Cum Laude from the Judy Genshaft Honors College.

Anything else not listed you think might be important: Stage 2 Cancer Survivor, battled obesity all my life and lost 80 pounds, watched my dad suffer from sudden cardiac arrest at 18, dad got a heart transplant, speak three languages, grandfather committed suicide next door to me at 16, brother got a defibrillator due to a rare heart condition inherited from our dad at 18, mom lost her job from taking care of me while I battled cancer in NYC, uncle died from a rare ear cancer two days after Christmas, been in and out of hospitals all my life for testing positive for a genotype of a rare heart condition.

I have already applied to a bunch of schools, but I was thinking of applying to these schools as well:

• Wake Forest
  • Temple
  • Texas A&M
  • Colorado
  • West Virginia
  • Nebraska
  • Kansas
  • Arkansas
  • Cincinnati
  • Connecticut

If there are any schools you think I should add or remove, please let me know, as I would love all the help I can get!

Members don't see this ad.

Your MCAT of 503 is below the 10th percentile for most MD schools. I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Florida
Florida State
Central Florida
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
NOVA MD
TCU
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wake Forest
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
LECOM-Bradenton
NOVA
ACOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
CUSOM
MU-COM
TUNCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
WVSOM
UIWSOM

You have a lot you and your family have gone through. What did you decide to focus on in your primary/secondary essays when discussing these points?

I agree that DO schools must be on your list, as well as the MD's suggested.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a lot you and your family have gone through. What did you decide to focus on in your primary/secondary essays when discussing these points?

I agree that DO schools must be on your list, as well as the MD's suggested.
I discussed my battles with cancer, obesity, and my dad's heart transplant, which ushered me toward a career in medicine.

If anyone deserves an MD acceptance, regardless of MCAT score, it's you OP. I'm so sorry for everything your family has gone through.

Reactions: 1 user
Your MCAT of 503 is below the 10th percentile for most MD schools. I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Florida
Florida State
Central Florida
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
NOVA MD
TCU
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wake Forest
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
LECOM-Bradenton
NOVA
ACOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
CUSOM
MU-COM
TUNCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
WVSOM
UIWSOM
Not even USF? I'm an alumni there and I have deep roots with the school

cGPA: 3.87 and sGPA:3.95

MCAT Score: 503, (C/P:128), (CARS: 125), (B/B: 125), (P/S:125)

State of residence: Florida, but was born in New York

Ethnicity and/or race: White/Italian

Undergraduate institution: University of South Florida

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): Caretaker for my dad after his heart transplant (1500 hours), Pharmacy Technician (500 hours), Cancer Patient Caretaker (1,000 hours), Cancer Patient Support Volunteer (250 hours)

Research experience and productivity: Sudden Cardiac Arrest Lab (100 hours-still doing).

Shadowing experience and specialties represented: Plastic Surgery (300 hours), Pediatric Anesthesiology (25 hours), Immunology (25 hours), Invasive Cardiology (25 hours), General Surgery (25 hours), Neurology (25 hours)

Non-clinical volunteering: Cook and delivery driver for a food bank (800 hours)

Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): Tutor and teaching assistant (3200 hours), Marketing president and member of my fraternity (600 hours), Testicular cancer awareness advocate (400 hours), Advocate for the American Heart Association (100 hours), Volunteer Lead for the 2019 Tampa Bay Heart Walk (10 hours), Co-Captain for USF Relay for Life Team (15 hours), Mentor for underprivileged kids in Tampa Area (50 hours), Mentor for autistic children (100 hours)

Relevant honors or awards: Made the Deans' List for six semesters, recipient of the Bright Futures Scholarship, Winner of USF's Operation Global Action, and graduated Magna Cum Laude from the Judy Genshaft Honors College.

Anything else not listed you think might be important: Stage 2 Cancer Survivor, battled obesity all my life and lost 80 pounds, watched my dad suffer from sudden cardiac arrest at 18, dad got a heart transplant, speak three languages, grandfather committed suicide next door to me at 16, brother got a defibrillator due to a rare heart condition inherited from our dad at 18, mom lost her job from taking care of me while I battled cancer in NYC, uncle died from a rare ear cancer two days after Christmas, been in and out of hospitals all my life for testing positive for a genotype of a rare heart condition.

I have already applied to a bunch of schools, but I was thinking of applying to these schools as well:

• Wake Forest
  • Temple
  • Texas A&M
  • Colorado
  • West Virginia
  • Nebraska
  • Kansas
  • Arkansas
  • Cincinnati
  • Connecticut

If there are any schools you think I should add or remove, please let me know, as I would love all the help I can get!

You are competitive for all DO schools and honestly no MD schools. This isn’t to say you have a zero percent chance at getting into MD, but just be realistic with yourself. Your chances at MD are between slim to none. You’ll likely get screened out very early at most schools based on MCAT alone before they have a chance to know anything else about you. There are just too many qualified applicants and they can’t realistically review all applications.

Last edited: